BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending a little time on The Barn, I have to say that I have developed a more positive outlook of what New Jersey has to offer saltwater fishermen.

Previously my perception of NJ was from Route 95 while on my way to some other southward destinations. I recall those huge gas tanks and maybe a refinery or two. Not sure. Then there was a burning car in the breakdown lane.

Anyway, in the whole North/South Jersey discussion on fluke regs, it became evident that there are some parts of NJ that are quite rural. Maybe even "redneckish". I mean that in a really good way BTW. Personally, if it would pay the bills, I would have located to NH, VT, or ME a while ago.

It seems the grass is always greener somewhere else doesn't it? Afterall, when I stop to think about it, MA does offer nothing short of world class striper fishing.

Perhpas that is why it seems that there are no shortage of NJ folks who think that Cape Cod is a surfcaster's paradise. Fortunately, most of those tourists believe that the Cape begins and ends at "The Ditch" (no one calls it that here btw) :D

On the other hand though, NJ boasts the shore from where the world record striper was landed. So they must be doing something right.

So where am I going with all of this? Well, I may have the opportunity to spend a little time in NJ this year. I guess what I would call Central NJ coast. If I have a day or two to go fishing, is there an area nearby (within 1.5 hours each way) that I would not want to miss. I would probably take a charter. Is there any species down there that I can't catch in Buzzards Bay? Or is perhaps the scup fishery, for example, particularly stellar in NJ?

I'll try to reciprocate if interested, but I have actually done 80% of my fishing north of Cape Cod. Only in the last 4 years have I fished Buzzards Bay. And I'm pretty casual at that. I don't know what it's like to "fish hard". If it tugs the other way and tastes good, that's enough for me.

- Mike F.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
If you stop tying to undermine the SSFFF organization and let us know what time of year you are going to be in Jersey we can help you out.

Seriously though, you can find something to "tug" on your line any time of the year almost, but to get decent info you are gonna need to provide a time frame.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Offshore

Mike I would consider an Offshore trip.Theres really nothing going on down here in the Summer anymore.Although you could book an inshore trip to the Barnegat Bay for a Day of Grass Shrimping Weakies.Its light tackle fishing and the Weakies put a nice fight.They are tasty as well.HRL:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would probably be in July and/or October.

Bunka, what is available offshore? What would be a recommended charter outfit in that area? I'm fine with the larger ones (40+ seats)

How about mackerel? I'm just used to regular good old boston harbor mackerel. I couldn't tell you their formal species name. I just call them mackerel.

I have hard of these other types of mackerel like "tinker mackerel" or "spanish mackerel". Are there those down there? Which one is it that has small but razor-sharp teeth?

How about albies or bonito? Do I have a better shot at catching one of those in the Jersey area than I do back home?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yeah, we get macks early in the year, then again in the early fall. Spanish macks (the ones with the teeth) hit our areas in late August into the fall, but it's very hit or miss. Tinks could be in the backwaters at any time during the summer.

Some species found here that you might not catch in MA: triggerfish, small jacks, reds, specks, numerous rays, brown sharks, cobia, stargazers (ha ha), croakers, black drum, etc... Species abundance and locations will differ depending on where you are fishing (north or south). NJ (especially southern NJ) is at a mixing zone between northern species and more southern species. We don't really get a super abundance of anything (eg. you getting stripers coming out of the woodwork up where you are), but we get a good variety. We also have a ton of different habitats to fish along the coast, from quiet backwater estuaries and salt creeks to brutal surf to warm bluewater offshore action. The action can be year round around here.

You'll find more options if you come in October, but plenty fish can be caught in July, especially if you don't mind fishing at 2AM.

And yes, there are quite a few ******** in NJ, in far southern NJ (I'm not talking the Cape May), far northern NJ, and right in the middle of NJ (Pineys). You just have to know where to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts