BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you CISP fisherman, in the last month or so you have all noticed the "island" on the strathmere side. Any thoughts on whats gonna happen to it. Talking to one guy who went most of the way through and he said its getting as deep at 4-5'. With me living in strathmere, just dont hope we lose all of that sand...

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
It's some really nice structure that will stay until the next big winter storm. That's all I'll say about it... ;)

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Seems like it will grow to the point of joining with the Western bank by Ocean Drive. It's amazing how all that sand came in.

I can see it getting pushed IN, but how can it get pushed OUT?

·
Registered
489 Posts
You could be on to something Tom, I could see all that water taking the new 'shortcut' that's developing there and build towards the road.. We could be redrawing it on our GPS's. I haven't checked myself, but I've heard from two guys that the hole (in the inlet) went from 35-40' to like 60' deep... Everybody here is hoping for a hole to open up soon on the outside. Right now even the seasoned locals don't run it at low tide with anything but a small boat. It'll be a real bummer to have the big stripers less than a mile off in Nov/Dec and not be able to get there because of the tide.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mike,hole is deeper than ever been.50 ft at dead low with some exposed structure sw edge.New slough is 3 to 7 ft with tide ripped bottom.Day I checked it it was full of white bait,small blues and few pods of mullet.Fishy spot for sure.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The "island" is impressive. I went by there in
the boat last night and could hardly believe it :eek:
It will be interesting to see how it continues to
develop this fall.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I took the canoe out to the island a few weeks back. I think this is going to be a very productive spot for plugging.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm hoping we will continue to see the island recede and the inlet will open back up.
I was a little worried earlier in the year, it was getting pretty close to closing off the inlet entirely. That island looks like it is getting a little smaller everyday.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Frank,
I'm surprised. I thought you would see the possibilities of the island. What are you thinking - loss of fish, navigation?

You know these waters as well as anyone so I'm curious.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Thanks for the info. Where is it 60'?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Eggie , you know where it is. It used to be 40 or so feet deep off the western tip of the OC point , rite where all the boats start to beach in the summer. Theres a rip rite there too where the chanel turns right towards the rush chattin.

So when are you going to grace me with your presance , tis the season ;) :D

[ 10-17-2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: In Depth ]

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Your boat or my canoe?
When is the Absecon Sportsemen tourney?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Be careful taking the shortcut as it if gets deeper it will begin to expose the lumber that is buried under the sand.
Years ago there were bulkheads there to hold the sand and there were numerous gullies in area that produce stripers even when stripers were scarce.
However IF the old buldheads get exposed they could due serious damge to lower unit
I can remember back in late 60's there was a good channel east of the bulkheads when going south
We would go south and as soon as we past the bulkheads to the last street on island and than head straight out
maybe we will see it again

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Egg,

The tourny is in nov, but i see no reason to wait that long :D
Some nice fish were had today despite the wind.

I just re powered. I put a 300 on the back :rolleyes: Wanna run 5" of water now! LMAO

I'll drop ya a line.

[ 10-17-2004, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: In Depth ]

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I'm ready whenever you want. Lets go.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Back in 1885 (according to my topo) Corsons was actually 2 inlets. Weakfish Creek broke through near where the parking lot is now to the ocean and made a nice big island in the middle. It basically looks like what it is now, only now it's on the Strathmere side. I'm sure it's happened many times before, too. I wouldn't worry about the inlet closing off completely. All that water from the south has to go somewhere, and it's not going to go out way down in Townsends. The current is swift enough to keep it open somewhere in that inlet.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Here's A Question that has come up over the
weekend..
Many of You Know My Buddy Ronny or at least
heard some of his fishing reports from me...
He fishes the CISP Area on a regular basis
all season long and mostly in the back......

We got talking about the lack of fish and to
tell you the truth the size of Stripers this year
especially since the Spring on the OC Side of
of the Inlet which know seems to be closing off.

Is it possible that the larger schools of fish
are not coming into the back water because of
this Island forming in the inlet...
Has anyone else expericenced a lack of normal
fish being caught around the Southern End of Town
in the ICW and BackBay Tidal Creeks or
the RushChattin Bridge ?
I know the OC NorthEnd has been doing well..
How about the Strathmere Side of the Inlet?
I hear of some fish being caught in the back
over there also,how does it stack up to years
past?

Just Wondering If Any other Fishermen Feel
This Way...

Maybe Ronny is just losing his touch back there
:)......

Thanks,,,,

1 - 20 of 41 Posts