BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sitting in the back seat of his dad's truck, Jimmy listened to his uncle and dad talk fishing as they drove down from NJ to the Chesapeake.

It was to be Jimmy's 1st Striper trip, and of course the conversation on the ride down included talk about big Stripers, and just how big they get.

The plan was to stay at uncle's summer home, where the big center console rested at the end of the dock, jutting out from the house into the bay. A " perfect spot " they called it, minutes from prime striper waters, and right off some deep water and structure.

After a quick set up, they headed out for late afternoon fishing, and Jimmy's first trip was a success - trolling and bait fishing they caught 4 stripers to 20lbs. Jimmy was amazed at the size of these great fish.

Back at the dock, Jimmy lingered to look around while the men went up to the house. Lying down on the dock, peering into the water, Jimmy watched the chunks of bunker sink down as he dropped the leftover pieces into the water. With darkness closing in, he dropped just a few more chunks.......what was that ? A huge shadow seemed to pass below, and the chunk vanished suddenly though deep down. Too late to see, Jimmy finally gave it up, and went in.

Next morning, before dad and uncle were on the dock, Jimmy again dropped chunks down off the end of the dock.......and was shocked again to see the huge shadow emerge from the drop off and inhale the chunk. While the water was deep at that edge, too deep to see bottom, he could make out the rough size of the " shadow". Impossibly big, Jimmy knew it was bigger than he was, tall for his age at 5'6". The enormous shadow didn't seem to hurry, as it then turned and swan back beyond the drop off....

First thought to grab a fishing pole, or run to tell Dad was replaced by a quick decision..........to keep it a secret. It had become " Jimmy's fish " and because it took Jimmy's chunks, he had fed it, making it very different.

Out on the bay they went again, big twin outboards leaving a long white trail as they rushed out to the " prime waters for Stripers" .... This time, they scored on 2 Stripers that were nearly 40lbs, huge the men said. Looking at these fish Jimmy knew his " shadow fish " was more than twice as long, and at least twice as wide too.......he kept the secret........

Last late afternoon at the end of the dock, last chance to see the huge fish... Jimmy alone and dropping chunks at the end, roughly between the dock poles that were nearly 8' apart.......Almost ready to give up, the shadow fish finally emerged, only this time, with darkness approaching, it came UP to grab the big sinking chunk, and then slowly rolled to the side before turning and swimming away. Jimmy didn't breathe while that happened, amazed to see the clear stripes that ran down the fish's side, the enormous head and huge tail that slowly propelled the fish ahead...... As long as the span of the dock poles Jimmy quickly estimated, and must be over 3' wide at the middle.........

Back at the house for dinner Jimmy casually asked his dad and uncle - how much would a Striper weigh that was somewhere between 6' - 8' long and really wide, maybe 3' across ????? His dad and uncle speculated about 100lb + Stripers reportedly caught in nets long ago that must have been that big. Yup, a Striper that big would go 100 to 125lb for sure.......

Tell us if you ever see one that big the men joked with Jimmy, because it would be a new world record to last forever !!!!

Jimmy just smiled........and said nothing.:)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Did you write that BGreene? If so I think you should write for a living.
Even if you didn't, that was an amazing story. Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you write that BGreene? If so I think you should write for a living.
Even if you didn't, that was an amazing story. Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:
Yeh that's me........ I write a short story or two each winter season, some more obviously fictitious than others. Some guys enjoy, some not and they tell me all about it too......:)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Yeh that's me........ I write a short story or two each winter season, some more obviously fictitious than others. Some guys enjoy, some not and they tell me all about it too......:)
Then maybe I haven't been around here long enough to see that or know what the political dynamics are here. :huh: You're always gonna have guys who disagree or want to down something, that's part of life. I just want to let you know that for what it's worth, I needed a lift today. I was feeling kinda down. Then I read that story, and saw some real talent there. NJ Angler, On the Water, and some other SW magazines would probably love to see you submit a story like that.

Thanks for helping to brighten my day. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Good read!
This is the type of story that NEEDS to be submitted to a publication for and be read by young anglers. It may give them an idea of what will be required from them to keep our fisheries alive in the future. A lot of young anglers are being taken out fishing by adults and mentors and shown a keep-keep-keep mentality. Even if they keep 1, release one would be a good thing to teach our young anglers. I think it is even better for a youngster to know that they saw one bigger than dad.
Look forward to the next "story".

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks man - it's about conservation too, and the choices we can make there of........

Kids can make their own decisions in this regard, and I believe this current new generation of kids are a lot more sensitive to the environment then ever before.

Balance, it's balance that keeps the whole thing available for generations to come.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Food fror Thought

bggreene, You sir have talent. The most difficult area of publishing is short stories. That being said you should most definitely attempt to get your work published. The market for short stories is small and getting smaller but printing a couple of copies and submitting them will only cost you time and postage. Just think of the satisfaction of knowing that several hundred thousand folks will have the chance to share your art. And of course the check, albeit small, that you can cash might just pay for another fishing trip.

P.S. I know what I'm talking about I am an independent contract editor.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Great story for fishermen. Your posts have often been slammed for negative political content. Wonder why that on Bass Barn? Sarcasm mode off.

I have been on BB for a long time. You have imagination and writing skill. Don't know you. Fishing is a common ground and you are minority here. Keep up the good work.

PEW STINKS!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.