BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out on the lake about 8 or 9 times in the last 2 weeks mostly in the late afternoon but a few mornings also.
Caught LM, pickeral, crappie and perch on each trip also caught bluegill on a few trips. Caught waay more crappie than anything else, followed by pickeral, then bass and finally perch.
Baits that worked:
Crappie: 1/16 oz. maribu jigs fished under a bobber around laydowns near creek beds worked best especially on colder days, on warmer days no bobber worked just as well. 2 1/2 inch tube jigs with 1/16oz inserts fished the same way came in a close second. Suspending stick baits and j-5 and j-7 rapalas also worked well.
Pickeral: Stickbaits and inline spinners worked well along with the jigs mentioned above. Also caught a few drop-shotting and with a 10in zoom worm pegged with 1/32 oz sinker fished slow. Best spots were around laydowns in shallower water especially on warmer days. They are getting ready to spawn so they are very aggressive (today was crazy, I even was able to get one on topwater messing around).
LM: Caught quite a few on jigs while tageting crappie. Drop-shotting and 10in worms have worked really well the last week or so. Lm were around laydowns and near lake inlets and outlets in deeper spots.
Perch: This year has been pretty weird for perch on the lake I fish. During other years at this time I could pretty much catch a couple dozen at will. This year I only got a few each trip. Jigs, j-5s and7s, stickbaits and inline spinners worked. Perch were in the creek channel near sub-merged stumps.

Sizes: Crappie were between 8 and 16 in. (this was a PB for me and caught on a white maribu jig with pink 1/16 oz head under a slip bobber).
No real big LM the largest I caught was 3.5 lbs or so, most were between 1 and 2lbs.. The 3.5 lber was on a jig.
Pickeral were mostly between 14-18in. with a few over 22in. and one at 28in.
Perch were 10-14 inches with a couple bigger.

Today, I decided to take a fly rod for a change and had a blast. I caught LM, crappie, pickeral and bluegill on the fly rod using streamers, mostly around laydowns but a bunch of fish on shallow flats with dark bottoms. There were quite a few pickeral staging here which means they are probably very close to the spawn.

I used a variety colors on all baits depending on conditions. The last few days the water has been very clear so lighter color baits and lighter line worked better.

Hope this helps.
Joe

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Makes sense that the fly rod is producing right now as there is an insane amount of bugs flying around lately.In february.Dead of winter.Go figure:huh:

Yep lots of bugs around by the water. I guess this means that we will have a real buggy summer :thumbsdown:...though that will be good for fly rodders :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Great report, lots of info. I have been doing pretty much the same with the exception of the Crappy, Haven't caught one since the end of Dec. when I was killing them. Expect they'll be showing up soon. Pickerel have been great and lots of big ones this year same with the perch.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Was also out yesterday and today(fri). Yesterday just with the fly rod, ended up with 6 crappie and 2 picks. Today I targeted bass with cranks and drop-shotting, got 4 to 2.5 lbs and 5 picks. While I seen a lot of bugs I'm using streamers(minnow imitations) on the fly rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.