BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOM FOTE IS THE MAN RESPONSIBLE FOR FOR THE POSSIBLE SHUTDOWN OF OUR STRIPED BASS FISHERY.IF,WHEN OR HOWEVER YOU CAN TALK TO YOU LOCAL OR STATE POLITICANS THIS IS THE MAN WHOSE NAME WE WANT OUT THERE WHEATHER IT DOES US ANY GOOD OR NOT IT IS SURELY NOT GOING TO DO HIM ANYGOOD. IUNDERSTAND HE IS NOT A FISHERMAN AND WAS
THE CURRENT GOVERNOR'S APPOINTEE TO THE ASMFC.
THOSE OF YOU ON OTHER BOARDS KEEP HIS NAME OUTTHERE EVERYWHERE. HE IS THE MAN WHO WON'T BACK AWAY FROM HIS POSITION.
AM I RIGHT THAT THERE IS NOTHING ANYBODY CAN DO BUT WAIT FOR A HIGHER RULIING? IF THIS GUY IS NOT LIKED BY ANYONE WHY WOULD ANYONE RULE FOR US.I HAVE HEARD VARIOUS STORIES HOW THIS HAS HAPPENED BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND HOW 1 MANS WILL WILL WIN.OR IS THIS ALL EGO.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Jack I agree I think that we should target him if in fact he is responsible. In fact what does he have to gain? He is a politician right? So there must be something that we are not seeing. There usually is with these clowns.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I think that I ought to jump into the time machine and find the Minutes of the state meeting. That will certainly eliminate any skepticism.

·
Registered
31,493 Posts
I don't think I would consider Tom a politician.

He is the one who got our current regs in place and now the one who's helping to hold up the new ones.

Tom and the JCAA have actually done alot of good things for us over the years. On this issue though I think he needs realize something need to put in place now, get the regs changed later if you don't like them.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Bob your right ego has everything to do with it.

I've watched this whole mess unfold. No Mr Fota is not a politician Yes as you know he was appointed By the Governor. Why ??????? That is the million dollar question. There are certainly more qualified individuals in NJ.

We need to find the transcript of the state meeting.

[ 08-25-2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Fishpicker ]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tom Fote, father of the slot fish and champion of subsistance fisherman everywhere, helped to lead us down this path, but we willingly followed. Do you think we'd be here if he didn't at least have some sense that the majority of recreational fishermen supported his positions?

·
Registered
31,493 Posts
I don't think most NJ fisherman support his personal vendeta against southern states that keep smaller fish in the chesapeake and the sounds in NC. Yes they supported the slot limit but that was based on old data. Things have change and we're more then willing to change our regs, he's not though, unless it's his way. He's holding up the process so he can tell everyone in north NJ he's fighting for them.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Bob your last post is the best Post that I have read in two years!!!! You Hit the nail square on the head.
TF has a side kick up in Maine. When these two gents get together you can hear the choir singing "How Great We Are". The guy from Maine is Like Doctor Evil and TF is like MINI ME.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It was old and flawed data, yet we kept the slot fish. Why? More fish for us. Look at the Ammendment 6 hearings, especially in Tom's River. Most of the clubs and individuals lined up behind the JCAA's position, which favored maximum sustainable yield, and those who opposed that philosophy have were branded elitists. Tom had a lot of support is all I'm saying.

[ 08-26-2004, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Jim B ]

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JIM--HAD IS THE RIGHT WORD.WHEN TOM'S BUILDING WAS BURNING HE STOOD IN THE FLAME AND SAID THIS CAN'T HAPPEN BUT IT DID AND THE EGO IS GETTING BURNT BAD.

·
Registered
31,493 Posts
Fishpicker, it's like watching a train wreck.

For the last year TF continued to say we're sticking with the old regs, go ahead and shut us down we'll sue over producer status. Suddenly when the RFA endosed Mr. Smith's bill for the new regs he realized he wasn't going to be considered our savior (at least in his mind). Suddenly he switched to favoring 2 at 28. Rumor has it, he then used his high connections to get it shelved in the Senate. I don't think he wants 2 at 28 at all, just wants to slow things down so he can figure out how to get what what the south gets and come out as the man who saved our bass fishing.

If some people don't like the current proposed regs, that's tough. It's the only bill on the floor that's ready to be passed. If people are unhappy we can spend more time on it next year to get something more people can agree on. There's no time for it now.

TF caused this, it's time for him to step aside so others can get something done.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
EGO AND MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.Sometimes EGO is first and sometimes Money is first and than sometimes the 2 get together.

Bottom line all this fighting will hurt the recreational fisherman in the long run.you don't see or hear of this in-fighting on the commerical side.
JCAA and Tom has done a lot for Jersey fisherman as has the RFA but when indivuals begin to think they are bigger than those who put them there a major problem develops.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Bucktail the reason you don't see fighting from the Comm side is because we really don't have a side. NMFS has a quota on sides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts