BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.oceanskiffjournal.com/index.php/osj/1EMPS/610/P0/

This guy has been doing it for 15 years, a couple engines worn out, 75,000 nautical miles over the years (how do you log that?)

a plywood skiff. He talks about his reasoning as a former aerospace engineer.

Very interesting reading. His pictures are awesome. I emailed a few times ago way back when I was building the T1, I forget what he said though.

Here is another link.

http://lovesthesea.com/category.asp?category=Skiff

I dont wish to make this yet another small boat thread, just present it to show what this guy has done and I imagine they wont ever find him drowned

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Lots of similar design aspects to a particular ship class including the fwd weight bias and fixed tab. It shows what a little knowledge can do when mass-market appeal and profitability are not design factors. Or, should I say when a few primary performance objectives can be optimized.

It was also interesting to read that someone else uses the "ski-mogul" method to run through a seaway. I've been doing this for years - or at least until I got my first auto pilot. It works well, but is tiring.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
If I were to lose my gainful employment and forced to sell my sled.. I would still fish.. if I had to run our canyons on a boat like that, I'd do it.. May only be one day a year but I'd do it.. That's how I differ then most, not all but most....

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
If I were to lose my gainful employment and forced to sell my sled.. I would still fish.. if I had to run our canyons on a boat like that, I'd do it.. May only be one day a year but I'd do it.. That's how I differ then most, not all but most....
I'm with you Don :thumbsup:

·
Registered
374 Posts

Albi there too-:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My boat is smaller but we have fun with the chalanges the ocean gives us too. My Parker 18 has been seen 40 mi out, and loving it. Not very often but sometimes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My boat is smaller but we have fun with the chalanges the ocean gives us too. My Parker 18 has been seen 40 mi out, and loving it. Not very often but sometimes.
That is awesome!! You should email me and we can follow eachother out! If I could afford a bigger boat then I'd get one-but I cant! Alls I know is my Kenner 21 is 10X safer and faster and generally 100% better in the open ocean than my dad's 23' grady white gulfstream-We've come in through 3-5's and 5-7's on multiple occasions-perfectly fine, with the exception of some burning eyeballs lol, and we catch Tuna for 40$in gas
like I said, H's from California to the gulph stream waters-Albi Going:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
That is awesome!! You should email me and we can follow eachother out! If I could afford a bigger boat then I'd get one-but I cant! Alls I know is my Kenner 21 is 10X safer and faster and generally 100% better in the open ocean than my dad's 23' grady white gulfstream-We've come in through 3-5's and 5-7's on multiple occasions-perfectly fine, with the exception of some burning eyeballs lol, and we catch Tuna for 40$in gas
like I said, H's from California to the gulph stream waters-Albi Going:thumbsup:
40.00 boy that's too bad, I never spent more then 28.00. We have to talk this summer. I usually fish north but I get down to TI in Aug. and I've been known to travel anywhere when the fish are there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts