BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......Hermit Crabs!??

Found this old girl in Marco Island last week. I wonder how old a crab of this size is? :huh: She was safely returned to the water. I swear the crab enjoyed showing off to the crowd!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everybody that knows me understands that I am pretty far from being a tree hugging, PETA supporter. However, just no way I was going to feed that old girl to a Tog, sheepie, or any other critter that would be interested. Was happy to put her back and watch her walk away. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like you found one of these.
Pretty cool!

The Giant Hermit Crab (Petrochirus diogenes) is the largest hermit crab in the Caribbean, growing to an impressive five to eight inches long. It is a member of family Diogenidae, the Left-handed Hermit Crabs, and its left claw is slightly larger than its right. The surface of its exoskeleton is patterned in a way that resembles irregular scales. The specimen photographed below was seen at Creole Rock in St. Martin.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Holy [email protected]!!

That coconut crab is nuts!!! Where are they from so I make sure I never o there! :eek:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
There are some of them around here. I used to catch them clamming every once in a while. I can recall drifting the cuts through crab island behind the fish house when I was a kid and neeting them while drifting with the tide on days when the water was clear...but that was a few years ago....

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
That coconut crab is nuts!!! Where are they from so I make sure I never o there! :eek:
LOL! Guam I believe. They are one of the apex species on the pacific atolls.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Found one that was quite a bit bigger than that when I was in St Thomas.

Thought I had a really cool conch shell to bring home, until I found out that it was occupied :mad:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hermit crabs

There are TONS of hermit crabs that size on Wake Island. I was using them for bait the last few times I was there since I never plan far enough ahead to bring bait with me. I found that the soft part that is inside the shell worked far better then the hard parts. Caught a bunch of bonefish using them as well as various snapper species that I never actually ID'd.

Most other guys I fly with aren't the outdoorsy types and don't fish, so they were having a good time gathering the crabs for me a cracking the shells with rocks to get me baits whenever I needed one. Can't beat that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts