BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the "gas prices" thread and was thinking about my own situation living just west of Philadelphia. It is now going to cost me a minimum of twenty dollars in gas per trip, a minimum of three dolloars for tolls if I'm careful, so I'm looking at twenty-three bucks without counting the intangibles like maintainence, insurance, and other things like ice, bait, food.

Lately, there has been a lot of talk about what the cost of gas would have to be for Americans to start conserving by bying smaller more fuel effecient cars. I've been thinking about how these new gas cost have me rethinking my plans for fishing. The reality of these new prices and their filtration thru our entire economy is it is a lot cheaper for me to go to the fish market and get my fish than to go fishing. Of course, I will still make many trips this coming fall because fishing is more than just about catching and eating them vs. buying them, but I'm curious as to how many others are starting to think like me - that maybe you won't be fishing as much this fall as normal?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I was planning a trip to IBSP this week but will but it off till the fall run is in full swing. Put $30 in the truck this week and didn't fill it. I'll probably do two trips a week this fall rather than the four I had planned.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bill, I'm about 15 minutes from you and it costs me atleist $45. down and back in just gas so I will be picking my trips this fall. But after all isn't that what the fishing reports on this site are for?? To help ppl know if the fish are there and not just bragging rights.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Good Post Bill, I am looking forward to the responses.. Thanks,,,

I consider myself very lucky these days to be living at the shore and can continue to hit my area's without too much of a added cost factor..
It hurts to have to give up something that is so much apart of you,which I can say is in alot of the fishermen that I know...
Hopefully things will straighten out in this world in regards to the cost of energy and other things...

All I can suggest to out of state fishermen is
to really plan you trips accordingly around primetime periods of the types of fishing you plan on doing. Check you tide tables,the weather
and always read the BassBarn.Com for the most updated fishing information along the coast before you head out...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Bill - I've been doing the same math in my head. It will cost me $30 a trip to IBSP with my gas guzzling F-150 - and i don't even drive on the beach!! I can't imagine what guys with buggies will do.

I have been doing recon around the Delaware River, within 10 miles of my house. I will so some fishing on the Big D in September and October instead of taking trips to the shore.

I will only go to the shore if I can bring 1 or 2 other guys to help with the cost of gas. I will drive my mercury sable down instead of my pickup truck. The car will get all stinky, dirty, and nasty; but i'd rather clean the car once a week than pay for driving my truck.

I think the barners who fish the same areas at the same time should begin to coordinate and carpool.

If you drive over the Commodore Barry Bridge, stop and pick me up - i'm right off rt 322. I'll pay for half the gas!

·
Registered
39,870 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'll continue to fish as much as possible but I find myself trying a little harder to get 4-5 guys per trip. Friday and Saturday were actually cheaper per person than it used to be because I had more people with me.(Plus more fun with more people)

Fish at the market have always been cheaper than having a boat. You didnt mention boat expenses so I guess your fishing party boats. I think fuel prices will scare some party boat guys away with rising fares but send some boat owners onto party boats because it will save them money. I really hope party boats and marinas dont suffer too much, it seams to be a tough business to begin with.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I think just about everyone that owns a boat and likes to fish is thinking along the same lines. I agree, you have to pick your days and fish with a couple people to make it worth it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
NOT including any daily costs (fuel, bait, lunch, etc...), the approximately annual cost to run an older 21 cc is $8,350. This includes depreciation, maintenance, financing, storage, etc...

Now, at 15 trips per year, the per trip costs are $557 BEFORE the daily costs. Look at it another way, I have run my boat 65 hours this year or $128 per hour!

I know, I know...it is the experience, the freedom, blah blah blah...but the reality is that boat ownership is really a luxury. And the cost to go on a charter boat is well worth the experience as long as you can gather a few other people.

·
Registered
259 Posts
bill, like nightstrikes I too live at the shore.I made the mistake of buying a twin engine older boat 4 yrs ago.( runs great) holds 200 gal. fish the g.e. reef burn 30 gal. x $3.30 @ trip! plus oil, plus bait, ice,lunch, misc.
$150.00 day!! too, too much for me!!
the gas attendant at capt, andys told me they are way down in the # of people they see for gas, he said that some people can't afford it, (me) and those who can some of them are not buying gas to protest what they feel is a government/oil company rip off.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
If these prices don't come down, the ripple effect will be the worse thing that has happened to this country in a long, long time.

The direct impact on consumers is bad, but the effect on businesses is WORSE and this will be felt by everyone...and more so than simply when you pull up to the gas station or gas dock. It will increase the cost of EVERYTHING that we do in our everyday lives, and many small business owners will not survive it.

Combine these crazy gas prices with potential quota cutbacks for MOST of our important saltwater species (stipers, weakfish, fluke, tuna) and there's lots to worry about with respect to recreational fishing. It's pretty darn scary out there!

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
The flounder fleet was noticably thin this weekend. Not nearly as many people as normal. I spent the weekend inshore rather then offshore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Made a trip to the Spencer, then on to the Lindy and then fished the lobster pots inshore of the Lindy and back (total mileage about 225)in my 28' center console with twin Yamaha 4 strokes last Friday. Used 143 gallons. This Friday fished the 40 fathom fingers (total mileage about 180) and back used 130 gals.

Cost me about $100 more for the shorter trip due to rapid rise in fuel prices. At this rate offshore fishing trips will be limited.

I have some of the most fuel efficient engines on the market but the fuel price increases are getting out of hand. The bait and tackle shops are already feeling the pain and my guess is that the Atlantic City In The Water boat show this weekend will not have a record sales year for either attendees or boat sales.

Many of my friends and neighbors who live to fish are considering taking their boats out early this year and hope that gas prices become more reasonable for next season. The trickle down effect of this will be felt by a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Before I moved to NC I lived in Gloucester Co. NJ. It took me 45 minutes to get to OC and I figured atleast 10 gallons of gas for the trip. At the time it was 20 bucks for gas 10 to 20 bucks for bait and 10 bucks misc crap you always buy when there. So I would figure 50 bucks a trip. I would make atleast 3 trips a week and could afford to do this. Now I live in Apex NC. It takes me 4 hours and a FULL TANK OF GAS just to get to the beach. I now take my wifes Explorer as opposed to my F-150. Gas is now a buck more then when I was fishing in Jersey hard. It costs me now $100-$200 a trip. That equals almost one whole day of work. I get out to the beach for two days every other weekend.

So after that sermon......Yea this gas problem is gonna really screw up my fishing this year. I guess I got to start bass fishing again and try and win some turnaments to pay to fish for reel.

[ 09-06-2005, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Gilly21 ]

·
Registered
467 Posts
I switched cars with my wife last week, she gets the suburban for around town stuff and I take the jetta for my weekly travels(about 600 miles per week). I am lucky to have that option and doing things this way keeps my fuel expenses the same as they were this past spring.
As far as the boat goes, gas is still the cheapest part of owning a boat. Makemenuts and myself did the cost exercise before the gas prices went up, and since my engine is older my costs are approximately $5000 per year with an average of 12-14 trips (that's a 1980 Robalo CC with a 91 175 Evinrude). Slip, winterizing, gas, bait, etc... Catching your own has always been more expensive than going to the market. I fish mainly in the bay so my fuel costs aren't really that high, but if you are an offshore fisherman I have to think that this will crimp your style. Remember that 10% of US refining capacity is off line right now but will return to normal within a few months. I think that gas will settle back in at about $2.00 per gallon by the winter, maybe a little less, maybe a little more. But if you are looking to save money, owning a boat is definitely not the way to do it. I look at the old tub that I have (on which I owe nothing) and see it as a definite luxury. I have never understood how people are willing to take on 10 and 15 year notes to own a boat.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
It sounds like Truck-pooling is gonna be the way to go. Maybe have a meeting place somewhere around Trenton or Morrisville. Does anyone have a 4x4 school bus?
Some people at work want me to take them on the beach this year & I told it'll cost them gas money.
And like Steve said, post those fishing reports as soon as you get back.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes gas is way up but you know what it is a GREAT time to buy a boat with twin screws. :D I am looking at getting a Hydra-sports vector 28 footer. Boats have been going up for sale faster then ... So great deals are out there and people are willing to sell cheaper so they don't have to pay that gas bill. There are steals out there now guys. I plan on taking one of these steals to my advantage. Otherwise I could never of affored to have a chance at one of these boats. that is the other side of the gas problem.

Brian

·
Registered
166 Posts
Boat pooling seems to be the future until this is over if it will ever be over. Then again the engine manufacturers have to look into improving the fuel efficiency of their engines.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
wow ! I didnt even think of what it cost for you guys to get down here-that sucks. I was mainly looking at the cost of running my boat.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Im with you ardmore bill. Im over here in Bala Cynwyd, and its gonna cost a minumum of 30 bucks to get down to the shore, plus bait, tolls, food etc... and thats assuming I fish the same spot all day, which never happens. Ill usually burn another 10 bucks or so down there just getting from spot to spot. I really love striper fishing, but my trips are going to be very limited this year, probably only 2 or 3 trips :(

1 - 20 of 46 Posts