BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
:huh: Just wanted to get some input on the new slammer reels the 560l and the 760l particularly. Are they relible, durable, braid friendly?Thanks
I'm sure the bigger reels are even more durable then the smaller series....I have a 260 slammer and it is by far the most solid spinner I own. Most of the shimanos or daiwas even come close. I've owned the stadics, whiskers and BG's for years. The BG's are the only ones, IMHO, that even come close.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
New? Have they been redesigned? Am I missing something?
The only "new" one is the 760L, which was released about a year ago, if I remember correctly.

There are actually two different models of Slammer spinning reels. The regular version (260, 360, 460, 560 and 760) is what you want for plugging. The Slammer Live Liners (there are two modeels, 560L and 760L) have, as you might have guessed, a freespool / baitrunner feature that the regular series does not have. The Live Liners are good bait reels, but if the type of fishing that you doesn't need freespool, then get the regular version: it's cheaper, and it's also lighter.

Both the regular and live liners are good reels, though. I have three regulars and one live liner, and they're all solid.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The only "new" one is the 760L, which was released about a year ago, if I remember correctly.

There are actually two different models of Slammer spinning reels. The regular version (260, 360, 460, 560 and 760) is what you want for plugging. The Slammer Live Liners (there are two modeels, 560L and 760L) have, as you might have guessed, a freespool / baitrunner feature that the regular series does not have. The Live Liners are good bait reels, but if the type of fishing that you doesn't need freespool, then get the regular version: it's cheaper, and it's also lighter.

Both the regular and live liners are good reels, though. I have three regulars and one live liner, and they're all solid.
I have a 460L made in USA- am I missing something here?:huh:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I have a 460L made in USA- am I missing something here?:huh:
Oops, looks like I left something out: Penn stlil makes, and sells, the 460L liveliner. I thought it had been discontinued.

These reels were made in the US until about 2006 or 2007, when production was moved to China. This was recent enough that you might be able to find a new-in-box, US made reel out there. But since the change, all the Slammer models have been made in China.

I have both US and Chinese Slammers, and other than the "Made in USA" stamp on the reel foot, I can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The live liner models have been re-done. They now have and auto disengauge for the live liner drag. I don't know if it works well or not, or if it will hold up to the test but it is new and from China.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
My Penn Slammer Liveliner is about 8 years old (made in USA) and still feels like I just took it out of the box. I've had a couple of rays on it and the drag has worked perfectly. I take it to the Penn in Philly for service about every other year (I just forget to take it the other times :eek:). I like it so much that when I was looking for another back bay reel I was going to go with the Slammer 360. But the new 360 Slammer (made in China) I looked at just didn't measure up to the new Stardic FI.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.