BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While fishing six-pound tackle rigged with a small bucktail for fluke in Barnegat bay I got hammered. After setting the hook I had a strong run which took the line from six feet of water to about three feet. Once there I kept tension as best I could and saw the large square brown tail of a cobia thrashing the surface. After about three thrashes the fish started running again. I kept the rod bent as best I could while I steadily lost line. After I was down to about half the line I knew I was going to get spooled soon if I did not do something quick! Firing up the engine I chased the fish and after about five minutes was within 20 ? 25 feet of it while in four feet of water. Just then I saw a large brown fish boil the surface. After the boil, the fish took off to even shallower water. At this point I lost more line and was in one and a half to two feet of water. With my engine?s skeg digging into the bottom the boat swung around. I had no option but the shut the engine off and tilt it up. The wind was blowing me southwest across the flats while the fish was heading west. This was good because another 100 yards or so and I would have been in three feet of water and could have started chasing the beast down. Well that never happened. The fish ran directly northeast of me increasing the speed at which I was losing line. I then was in a stand off and seemed to be dragging the fish as I drifted. Then all of a sudden the game was on again and the fish made another move. Starting to see the metal of the spool I knew I lost so in a last ditch effort I feathered to spool and line parted some were near my doubled section of line. This all happened in about 20 minutes and was fun while it lasted.

Oh by the way, I ended the morning with two fluke in the box and about six throw backs. It would have had more if I did not spend 20 minutes fighting that fish and another 10 getting off the shallows.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Great Report Capt.Alex,
What a battle with that fish,it would of been something to land that Cobia,but sometimes just the fight is enough to experience and I am sure you will remember forever...

Question for ya,what were using as bait or kind of rig that attract that Cobia strike ?

Thanks,,

[ 07-31-2005, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
About 5 or 6 years ago I hooked up with one while drifting for fluke with a bucktail/spearing combo just west of the #12 can near the lighthouse, unfortunately I had the same end result, lost fish, but man was it a blast while it was happening.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Sounds like a cownose Ray

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I had a simular experance in the Cape May rips this Saturday. I was drifting for flounder and I got hit five times by something large. The first time I was able to get it up under the boat before he bet through the leader. Three other times this happened, on one of the strikes I reeled in a mangled sand shark about 1-1/2 ft. long, it was dam near cut in half and you could see the teeth marks measuring 10" across. On the last strike the fish took the bait and off he went completely spooling the reel of 20# power Pro. I never saw the fish, but I'm thinking it had to be a fairly good sized shark.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bucktail Willie, I have caught cownose rays before and not only saw the tail but the shape of this fish. It was no ray.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts