BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From yesterday's Providence Journal (I read 'em all):

Hab’s Plugs return

With the help of two of his father’s friends, John Haberek Jr. is making Hab’s Custom Plugs again. John’s father, “Hab” Haberek, died last autumn.
Joe Martins, of Point Jude Lures, and Mike “Tattoo” Dauphin, the maker of Tattoo’s Tackle lures have been helping Hab Jr. learn the plug-building craft, and the results are impressive.

Joe showed me two pencil poppers bearing Hab Jr.’s signature. They’re beautiful.

They will be on sale at the New England Saltwater Fishing Show, April 4-6, in Providence.
Full story is available here:

http://www.projo.com/sports/tommeade/sp_outnotes23_03-23-08_249FKIV_v8.305051f.html

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If I am not mistaking Tattoo was taught how to build plugs and worked for Habs himself. There is allot of plug building knowledge in the group. I wish them well.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
That is great news for the Haberek family and for the legacy of a fine plug maker.
My question now is do the guys who payed a staggering amount of money for Hab's plugs this past few months now feel like they may have made a bad investment?
Don't tell me these plugs will still be valuable because John Sr. made them because I can tell you I think the plugs made by John Jr. will be just as good as his fathers. They both will catch fish and isn't this the reason why they where so popular to begin with?:confused:

GSBB

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Grass Sound Bass Bagger said:
Don't tell me these plugs will still be valuable because John Sr. made them because I can tell you I think the plugs made by John Jr. will be just as good as his fathers. :confused: GSBB
Doesn't matter. The orignal plugs should most definitely be of the same value and increase with age. They will always be considered the originals. John signed alot of his plugs, tem ones especially will always hold their value. I hope that the same line-up will still be avilable, but I don't know. I really hope the tally's and mullets will be produced again. I'm sure there will be differences to distinguish them, plus there were some really rare colors that John did that no matter who you are, will never be the same when some one else tries to duplicate them. Every artist has his own touch.

A good example would be the orginal Stan Gibbs that are worth so much more than the newer ones. Also the old Bob Hahns, which are worth twice as much to a collector than his new stuff. Or any builders early work that becomes a rare color or collectible.

I understand where your coming from as the plug prices are getting way out of hand. I only hope they are reasonably priced in the $18-25 dollar range again.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Joe Martins, of Point Jude Lures, and Mike “Tattoo” Dauphin, the maker of Tattoo’s Tackle lures have been helping Hab Jr. learn the plug-building craft, and the results are impressive.

Interesting. I would think that he has the craft. You can't tell me his old man didn't show him or even have him working. I would. :D I'm sure they are Very nice.

Maybe he needs to learn the business. Lot's of hours at the shop and in the garage kid. ;)

Best of luck to you Hab Jr.

I almost bit at paying top dollar for a vintage plug but now I will wait for yours. You got my money coming.

Cheers

Now I go back to the garage to work.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
wow thats neat... I loved habs plugs, i hope his sons will meet his own standards. He is learning from the best though and i think they probably will.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts