1,081 Posts
Kil

I hear some typs of AJs have worms in them have you encountered any in yours

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boatsmith said:
Kil, how the heck do you hold bottom in 850'. I have tried 400' and not an easy feat?????

Ed
Actually we had hard time to hold bottom as drift was so fast with 5 knot. :eek: After we used the 24 oz Sanme jig, we could hold bottom. If you power drift, you can hold bottom with lighter jigs.
When I fished fluke or striped bass with Capt Corsetti in Martha's Vineyard Sound and Race, we could jig with 2 -3 oz bucktail even it was very deep and current was strong as he could powr drift and jigs were almost straight down.
I asked Capt to do power drifting on this trip later and I could hold bottom with 450 g(16 oz) jigs.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Thanks Kil, that is what we have done deep dropping in Florida. Only problem is you can rack up the hours doing this. Drift sock or sea anchor can help sometimes as well.

Can you tell me about these jigs you are using?

Thanks again!

Ed

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
KSONG said:
33 lbs African Pompano on a jig
Wow! African Pomp in NC! WTG KSONG! Doesn't much better than that!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Boatsmith said:
Thanks Kil, that is what we have done deep dropping in Florida. Only problem is you can rack up the hours doing this. Drift sock or sea anchor can help sometimes as well.

Can you tell me about these jigs you are using?

Thanks again!

Ed
850 ft. off NC would have you in Gulf Stream current, the sea anchor would be of little help unless there was a South wind. It really rips out there. :) A bit of wind against current and a sock would be great, but a bit choppy. You just can't win sometimes. :D

Great fish and great pics, you are the Jigging Master Kil.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
god bless you, great pics, thats hard core jigging, 850 feet no electric reel! You are the man! Got my blood going, the sound of a drag singing has been to long. Wish the best to you in 2008, your reports are always a great read. Keep the reports comming, stay safe, and good luck this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts