BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All!
Summertime finds many of us fishing our flys off. I just thought that I would drop a message about some coming events that you really do not want to miss.
July 20th we will have renowned authour and charter captain Jim Freda as our guest speaker. Jim is chock full of practical fishing knowledge that he freely shares with us.

August: We are considering having a club meeting in the Ocean City area, and some fishing is sure to follow.

September: Writer, speaker, fisherman extraordinoir, Frank Granieri will be our guest speaker. Frank is a well traveled light tackle and fly fishing guide. He LOVES Top water! His home waters are the waters of Atlantic County.

August and September will find Reggie ( an excellent casting instructor!) helping out with the casting prior to out meetings. Beginner and expert alike can learn from this well experiences fly caster.
This is intended to help out thos who are considering taking a casting lesson from Ed Jaworowski. Eds class will be a one time oppertunity to have casting insttuction from the very best! Author of "The Cast", there simply is none better.
Need help with your casting? We hooked you up!
Want to learn how and why Shore Catch Guides are so succesfull? Come and meet one!
Interested in learning more about our home waters? Exciting top water fishing look like somthing that you want to learn more about? Frank Granieri is one of the best!

All that you need to do is be sure to come to our meetings!
I look forward to seeing you there!

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Good schedule comming up. Comming out to the meetings is a good way to pick up information by asking those with more experience any questions you might have on any aspect of the sport. That is what the club is all about. No questions are stupid and it will help you advance your skills much quicker. (It was good tides for fishing last night, other than the storms.) All those that missed the meeting last night were probably out fishing. July the tides won't be quite as good so we hope to see everyone at the meeting.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Bump. Ron

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think that unless more members take this club seriously it will fail I would like to thank Keith and Tom Nugent for Going that Extra Mile helping me with our safety what if going FISHING or what ever was more important to them. Frank and the Board have worked very hard to make this club a success only a few members made the effort to show up last nite and 7 of them came 50 miles or more MY THAMKS TO ALL THAT WENT OUT OF THIER WAY LAST NITE JAY

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think that unless more members take this club seriously it will fail I would like to thank Keith and Tom Nugent for Going that Extra Mile helping me with our safety what if going FISHING or what ever was more important to them. Frank and the Board have worked very hard to make this club a success only a few members made the effort to show up last nite and 7 of them came 50 miles or more MY THAMKS TO ALL THAT WENT OUT OF THIER WAY LAST NITE JAY

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
We better have the house packed for Jim's presentation next month. You shouldn't miss it for reasons other than those with a legitimate excuse (and by that I mean you were abducted into space by aliens coming back from working on an offshore oil rig during a hurricane in the North Sea) :D

Seriously, it really sends a bad message to the guest presentors if no one shows up to see them, probably causing them to think twice about ever speaking to our club again. In turn that makes our club look bad. With over 50 members now, we would hope that most could make it to the meetings.

[ 06-17-2004, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Jay, your part of the prsentation was good too. Thanks for putting forth the effort. Ever since you told us about Teds fly in the eye, I alway wear protective glasses. I even picked up two more to have on board, just to make sure I alway have them for all my passengers.

Sorry I missed PJ's would of liked to relax alittle and kid Frank about getting old. Had that early morning trip, so I had to run. If I can make the 70 mile run, all those that have less than 20, it should be a piece of cake.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I said at the beginning of this thread. new things are coming!
Website issues are being repaired, and the Executive Board is working on a few permanent repairs as well. I am sure that the new meeting will be a great one.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Thanks to whoever got the SJCFA site up and running again. Great job. Lou Rodia wrote a nice article on Fly Fishing and me and may charter business in the Star and Wave last week. As a follow up story he wanted to do a piece on Fly Clubs when I mentioned them as an great way of learning all there was to know about salt water fly angling. I wanted our site to be up and running when his follow up hits the streets.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
That was all Bob. He knows that super technical computer stuff. There are still some background things down (like I can't update the calender yet), but for the most part the site is running smoothly again. Thanks Bob! :D

Also, Ray, as an aside, I just saw your ad on the Cape May Times website. It looks good! Where did you catch that hawg striper? Is that from last year?

[ 06-20-2004, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Dave, I got that big striper two years ago. was not caught on a fly. I did get it on a fly rod. I was chunking up stripers on spinrod and water was only 15 feet deep but very murky, couldn't see 8 inches into the water. I was throwing a fly till the water was white with foam. Put a thin piece of bunker filet on clouser just to see what it would feel like to catch a big bass on 9 weight. It turned out to be the biggest bass of the day. Biggest bass I have gotten on the fly, and just the fly is 39 inches.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am by no means "a pureist"....but I'm not sure if that one counts!!!
Just kidding, buddy! Nice fish, anyway you catch it.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I just wanted to see if I could land a big fish on a 9wt. As long as you have backing and relax I believe you could land almost anything. Of Course I was fishing from a boat. From a beach or jetty or fixed location it might be a different story. I got that one while the boat was anchored and there was a good current. It took awhile and on the first run took 2/3 of the backing off the reel. Almost needed binoculars to see the fish and was about to pull anchor when it started back to the boat.

Now, I just need a big one to come along, take a fly and make my year.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Lou Rodia wrote another article in the Star and Wave on fly fishing. He gave the history of ASWF and how at one time there was a south jersey chapter that really never took off. He mentioned that the two clubs taking the lead in offering to share saltwater fly angling knowledge in New Jersey are the ASWF and SJCFA. He gave both websites and stated they were good choices for whatever your skill level was.

Lets get have a good turn out at our next meeting so we can share some of that flyrod knowledge. We want to live up to those expectations and hopefully we will have a history worthy of mentioning years from now.

Everyone get out and fling some flys, and catch some fish. The time is right.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I checked out the website for SJCFA, and am interested in joining. I'm fairly new to flyfishing, but have been saltwater fishing for many years. Unfortunately I live in PA and wouldn't be available for a lot of meetings. Have you found it's possible to be a valuable and productive member without attending a lot of the meetings?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts