BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today begins our epic journey of retrieving our new boat from Lanoka Harbor (Barnegat Bay) and bringing it home to Avalon. You would think this wouldn't be a big deal, but nooooo...our friend the weather is there to help us out! Of course, the day we are scheduled to make the trip, we have every bad weather condition (wind, rain, fog, thunderstorms, flooding; ok so we are missing tornado/hurricane/tidal wave) imaginable. So we are expecting that the storm of the century (err, weekend) will keep us land bound on Saturday. We are hoping the winds stay from the west on Sunday so we can make the run by hanging close to the beach. We are dragging a fellow barner along (HighWire); hopefully he will forgive me lol!

[ 04-04-2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: jjn3 ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Just be careful out there. They are calling for a doozy of a storm tomorrow!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Fly Tyr, we are not even attempting the trip Saturday; we are hoping it has blown out by Sunday.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Oh yeah, sorry. I didn't see that in your post. Yep, hopefully the wind will be coming out of the west at 20kt on Sunday, like they are calling for, so right along the beach will be nice and flat.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
jj,
good luck whenever you run her down.You know there's no way Mother Nature was gonna make it easy ;) Looks like your gonna beat me in. I was hoping to paint the bottom this weekend. Getting a couple of nice days together AND when I'm off is always an adventure this time if yr. :rolleyes: I hope to be in the weekend of the 23rd. See ya at the Marina.
Grab

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh boy do I got a story for yall! About 3 years ago we brought our boat down from lanoka harbor. we got out of the harbor, but missed the channel,,,,end result? Sandbar. It just so happens that about 20 mins later a boat U.S guy is cruising along, and since were a member, he pulled us out.

Now, when running out to Barnagat Inlet, there are numerous sandbars is memory serves me correctly. Sooooo we finally get off the sandbar, and as luck would have it wouldnt yah know the marine police are crusing by also. Soooo he checked on us and made us do the usual routine, but he didnt board us.

So we finally get out into the ocean and head towards O.C. Now, we planned this trip because the water behind O.C. has a tendancy to be a little....shallow. So that little extra time in Barnagate bay dropped us off in O.C at dead low.

A 6 hour trip really took us about 7 and a half. It was a great learning experience though.

Any other stories like mine?

Sorry if i posted in the wrong area. but i saw the lanoka harbor and it reminded me of that day.

Hope you make out ok! and good luck with your new ride!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
One thing about the Barnegat Bay is that you have to stay in the channels due to the shallow water. Very easy to run aground if you don't know the bay.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard Highwire's story at the local bar in Avalon Saturday night....but I think we should encourage him to retell the story

We did not even try to move the boat this weekend; too much wind. We pushed Saturday to Sunday, got up Sunday morning at 5:30am and pulled the NOAA website up; all purple (gale warnings)....went back to bed. We are going to try again this coming Saturday, hopefully the weather will participate!

John

[ 04-04-2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: jjn3 ]

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Bought my boat in Tom's River, in early March. Started out for Cape May, wind blowing NE at 20 to 25. Heading outside at Barnaget, no channel markers anywhere. Make our way to the inlet and the State Police decide to board us, gave us a warning for one lifepresever being to small, said there was no place to buy another one so go on your way. The end of the inlet was a mess, made the right headed SSW, sticking close to the beach. All of a sudden we are surround by GILL NETS!!! Almost blew a tranny shoving it in reverse, felt our way through all the nets, went into AC inlet to refuel. CG pulls us over and gives us a check. Showed them the warning for the PFD, said it didn't matter they were boarding anyway. Checked up out up and down and then pointed to a marina where we could get a new PFD, got one, fueled up and headed South again. Really glad to see Cape May inlet and Bree-Zee-Lee. Took an As- woppin on the way down but got there.
Glad to see you guys have sense enough to look for a better day. Good luck, BTW, nice looking rig, is it a Whaler??

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is one heck of a story! I sure hope we have better luck lol. My first new boat was boarded on her maiden voyage also; great guys though, had a nice chat and wished us good luck with the boat. I am glad that the CG is showing interest, hopefully it will cut down on some of the problem children.

It is a 2003 Whaler; we found her in Lanoka Harbor as a leftover with no hours. Was really lucky for us; she even had the engines we wanted (the 4 stroke Merc's with the Yamaha blocks). I just hope we can get a nice day this weekend; really want to get out and look for some stripers.

[ 04-04-2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: jjn3 ]

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Originally posted by Outdoors:
Oh, I believe High Wire has a bit of a tale to tell...... :D
Oh yea! The delivery from hell!!!! Surf's UP. Whats a broach or two or four between friends.
An Outdoors quote..."I can't sit down there, it's too scary" :D
Thank you Phoenix Marine for building one tough boat.

[ 04-04-2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: High Wire ]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both my wife and I took Monday off for the upcoming weekend, trying to better our odds at pulling at least one day that the weather will support moving the boat. We are really hoping that happens Saturday so we can look for some dinner guests....with fins....for Sunday

1 - 15 of 15 Posts