BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past week, I have spent a fair amount of time throughout the GE estuary. It seems like there are more things swimming, flying, and crawling then I have maybe ever seen - except for WEAKFISH.

Small flounder are everywhere. Schools of tiny blues (3 inches) a pretty good way up the river.

I was in the yak on a creek, came around a bend, and run smaxk into what must of been 2 dozen terrapins. In general, terrapins are everywhere. Even found on crawling along at 51st street parking area.

Swarms of dragon flies and greenheads.

Bait, bati, bait, bait! I have not seen peanuts yet but everything else is amazing.

What gives? After the cold and wet start I thought a lot of things would be off this year.

Any theories?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey egg, i went way up a creek behing sic last month in the yak. I must have seen a thousand terapins of all sizes, and tens of thousands of newly hatched fish, so small I couldn't determine what they were.
Things in the back seem to be off from what Im reading here, but the future is looking bright!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The waters are alive in the Delaware Bay Estuary as well but the fishing has been very disappointing. Lots of bait with bunker and the crabbing has been decent. We also have lots of dragon flies and greenheads.

Very few weakfish or flounder are being caught right now, mostly croakers. This has been a down year so far in my opinion. On a good note lots small stripers are being caught for those that are fishing for them and some keepers. Lots of fishermen are waiting for the striper season. I hope we won't be disappointed.

Some are saying the oil spill has been a major impact on the fishing this year. The oil company should pay big bucks to enhance the Delaware Estuary. How about letting them pay for artificial reefs in the bay?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Nice post Mike,,

It might have something with our very warm water temperatures here in NJ..Not sure how much higher it can go,currenty there are reading in the low 80's and with the whole month of august
to go-who knows...

One thing that does worry me with these high water temps is the fact that any storms that past our coast during Hurricane season will be pretty strong and hopefully won't suck all this bait out to sea a little prematurly before the fall run...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.