BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished sat. with Capt. Brian Carter about 40min. south of New orleans.Capt. Brian poled his Hells Bay boat while I was perched on a casting platform.The reds were plentiful but not hitting well and spooky.I was unprepared for close range,fast shooting pin point casting that was nec.Water was dirty and the sky partly cloudy made for difficult sight fishing. Fish would often appear within 30ft.cruising towards us and would spook or disappear,most opportunities were between 30 and 10ft.Tailing fish we saw in the distance were only active for a for a short time and would dissappere.And when I did hit the mark most of the time there was no responce,Capt.Brian said when they are in this mood you have to put it right in front of there nose to get a reflex strike.8hrs. in the heat.took its toll and I had to sit down.I picked up a light spinner and caught a couple of 24in.reds and a largemouth bass.But I can"t wait to go back because it was one of the most exciting trips I ever been on even though I didn"t catch with a fly rod,but I came close next time I"ll get them.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Got Bass? Thanks for the post. I am dying to catch a Red DRum on anything. It must have been exciting! Were you on a business trip or vacation? How did the guide treat you?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Glad you had an experience, but sorry no connections. They can be tough at times & other times they will hit anything. What were you using & what did you use with the spinning rod?? Ron

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife and I were on a long wkend. in New Orleans.She had a karate tournament on Sat. so I went fishing.New Orleans is a great place for food,fishing and partying,we had a ball.I couldn"t have asked for a better guide.He put me in fish all day and was helpful,friendly and had good sence of humor.I"m not sure its ok to mention the name of the outfitter that that matched me up with Capt. Brian on the barn but if you contact me I"ll tell you.
Sparse we started with a popper,then a shrimp fly.Then most of the day I used a gold weedless spoon fly.On the spinner I used a gold weedless spoon.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Got Bass, sounds like a great trip. Always fun to fish some place new. From what I have seen on TV reds look like a great fish, whether on the fly or plug or spoon. Atleast you had the thrill of the experience and next time you will be twice as ready and appreciate that first one on the fly. Nice report. Sounds like you really had to be fast on the cast. Were you fishing shallow creeks and channels or was it large flats?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We fished small channels and ponds.As we poled thru one 6ft. channel into a pond a big red was sitting 3ft. from the boat.I tried to lower a fly to him but he spooked.Another time a good size gator went splashing off about 20ft. from the boat.I saw another gator and a Nutria.I couldn"t believe when checked the time and it was 3pm,thats when I picked up the spinner.I'll have pics at the next SJCFA meeting.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may have been spelling the captains first name wrong.I believe it should be Bryan not Brian,sorry about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts