BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everynight this summer at high tide I see stripers swimming around the docks/piers. I only cought a couple live lining peanut bunker and weighing it down under the water a couple feet.

Ive used mackeral, finS, bucktails,a chug bug popper, and flounder belly as bait.
How can I get them to eat my bait when there is so much bait fish around for them to eat there?
I saw in walmart the other day they had this Bass Attractant, which was made of Garlic and Salt. Does Garlic really work???

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Welcome Uglystik!
I would keep doing what you're doing with the peanuts.As for the stuff with garlic?Don't know if it will attract fish,but's it's been known to keep the vampires at a safe distance!
Depending where it is you're doing your night fishing,you may want to keep some handy!! :eek:

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Try livelining a big mantis shrimp on a hook. Fish seem to like them. :D

This sounds like a "match the hatch" situation where small lures or baits are in order.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Uglystick welcome aboard. Great first post, I would try putting those peanuts on the bottom with a heavier weight right under the activity. Those bass love easy meals and will have a hard time turning down a fresh easy meal down low, especially if they don't have to crash the surface for it. Good luck!

[ 08-28-2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: RodFather ]

·
Registered
532 Posts
Uglystik, I've had the same problem a few times while fishing around lights this summer. Have you noticed a lot of red worms in the light also? I've seen the bass sipping them off the surface for most of the summer, then al of the sudden blitz through the peanuts, then turn off completely. As others have said, try to match the hatch, whatever bait they seem to be eating. Also, drag a lure slowly across the dark into the light - usually works. GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
Ugly Stick, I catch em off the bow of my boat in the slip all the time. Forget the artificials, even w/ the peanuts there, no striper can resist a clam laying on the bottom! Get some fresh or salted frozened surf clam, thread it on a 5/0 or so hook 36 inch leader and a fishfinder for the sinker, chuck it out there and wait. You'll be hooked up w/in 10 minutes!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by striper2278:
Use a little jighead with a pink finesse fish! Like 1/4oz. You'll get them that way!
i've been having great luck with the above setup this summer, but using paddle tails.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.