BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this on Scott's Bait and Tackle's site.

E-mail: 3/5/04
"Just wanted to drop a note telling you how great it is the way you have exploited the early spring Gravelling Point fishery. The crowds there have become tremendous. Putting an exact location on the internet along with a daily report leads to the mayhem down there. The best spots fill up quickly, and while I'm sure bloodworm sales are through the roof in March and April, you have ruined what was once a pleasant place to fish. You can count on never receiving buisness from me or my friends in the future. Also, offering a prize for the first striped bass killed each year is disgraceful. As a buisness that thrives on the well being of our ocean's resources I would think catch and release would be advocted by your establishment. The fish frequenting Gravelling Point are the final portions of a dwindling population of Striped Bass that make New Jersey their home year round. Just ask Rutgers. I wonder how many tagged fish have hung from the scales of your shop. When the fishery tanks again, as its sure to the way things are going now, you and the other Ocean Rapists will regret not taking action now when you're chatting it up in the welfare line."
Submitted by: Zeke

Hi Zeke1;

I don't suppose you remember the days when Nunzi Bruno owned Great Bay Marina? You know, the days before the internet? Folks used to line the banks 24 hours a day. Did you notice that the area is surprising clean from trash and other debris? No, I don't take credit for it, but the Osborne Island folks and anglers keep the area clean and I make an effort to walk the area myself once in a while with a bucket and rarely find much to pick up. Some anglers take quite a few fish from the point and others sneak fish off that don't meet regulations - not just here but everywhere, unfortunately. It's the anglers that fish the Graveling Point area that keep the problems to a minimum. I haven't found the need to push the catch and release issue; anglers that fish the point surely do release more fish then make it to the dinner table. I am sure if you have read the past daily reports that I do encourage the issue of catch and release and make every effort to educate people of the regulations.
I understand the position of your opinion, but find it difficult to accept blame as you care to point a finger at Scott's Bait and Tackle. As to the loss of you and your friends business, I believe that is more of a punishment to you then it is to me. We try to provide decent hours, fair service and quality bait and rigs to our customers and in your opinion too much information to help anglers actually catch fish. Don't you think it would be hypocritical to sell bait and tackle and keep secrets? Maybe catering to anglers who still try to enjoy the sport and interaction with other anglers will be our new customer base.
I am very fortunate to say that I receive a lot more e-mails and letters thanking Scott's bait and tackle for our efforts. Many clubs, schools, youth fishing and hunting programs as well as individuals have benefited from what I have given back to the community in the past and I will continue to do so into the future.
Proud of what I do, Scott Albertson/Scott's Bait & Tackle

·
Registered
99 Posts
I fished that area before it was developed like it is now.
Matter of fact, there were no houses there at all,just a few shacks.
Yes I remember Nunzi Bruno,he was quite a man.He was always ready to help you.
We would stop by Great Bay Marina and buy our worms,and then trek across the marsh.Seemed like the sod banks produced fish more then,to the left facing the bay.There were no crowds then(mid 60s),
but with the growth of the area,and the popularity
of the striped bass,crowding is a sure thing.
You know the old saying,"If you live in the past too much,you may repeat it."
Man I wish.

Joe

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Thats pretty good....Zeke hit the nail right on the head with this brilliant statement :rolleyes: :
"The fish frequenting Gravelling Point are the final portions of a dwindling population of Striped Bass that make New Jersey their home year round"

Huh???
From my experience the resident population is on the rise

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
ZEKE--SHOULD GO STICK HIS HEAD IN THE SAND OR TAKE SMART PILLS. IHAVE NEVER BEEN TO SCOTTS BAIT AND TACKLE ONLY BECAUSE I BOAT OUT OF WILDWOOD BUT PEOPLE I KNOW GO THERE AND ALWAYS TALK WELL ABOUTTHEM.BARNABY WAS RIGHT THERE ARE MORE RESIDENT BASS THAN EVER BEFORE.WAKE UP ZEKE AND SMELL THE BUNKER.

WONDER WHY CHUNKING SHARES HIS spots AND DOES NOT CRY ABOUT IT.

[ 03-07-2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I always get a kick out of people that ***** about a place being crowded. If they showed up at a place that they never fished before aren?t they a part of a new crowd? Then someone else shows up and they become part of a new crowd and on and on and on.
Zeke when you first showed up at Graveling Point you were a part of a new crowd, I don?t care what year it was. So to be a good guy just don?t go there anymore. I dare you to go find a spot all your own. A place that no one ever fished before. Then and only then can you claim it as virgin territory. Graveling Point never has been a secrete spot as far as I know. Scott keep up the good work.

[ 03-07-2004, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: capthersch ]

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
capthersch, Point well made, my excite sentiments.. ;) No spots are secret forever... :eek: By the way,your best post by far..

·
Registered
790 Posts
Can't we all just get along... :D
Accusing Scott of "exploiting" a certain fishery for his own personal gain is one of the most absurd things I have heard... I have known Scott for 18 plus years and remember how his business started... short story... he busted his A$$... Scott has built the business through dedication, hard work, and helping those that walk into his store any way he can... SIMPLE AS THAT... Scotty does not need to exploit a fishery to gain business... he has earned the business.
As far as the overcrowding... helllllooooo... Over the past 18 years I have met many people fishing the point from all over New Jersey and Pennsylvania... This area has been no more of a secret than the moon rising at night...
OK I said my peace... Now time to go and coerce the other half into giving me a massage... ;) Waxed the boat today.....

·
Registered
557 Posts
:D I FISHED GREAT BAY MARINA IN THE MID TO LATE 60'S I NEVER SAW A CROWD OF PEOPLE . EVEN AT NIGHT WHEN WE WALK ACROSS THE MARSH OH YEA WHAT A WALK .IF YOU WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO CATCH A STRIPER AT NIGHT YOU BETTER KEEP YOUR EYES ON IT BECAUSE THE LOCAL RACCOONS WOULD STEAL YOUR FISH IF YOU TURNED YOUR BACK OR IF YOU WALK AWAY TO TALK TO YOUR NEAREST FISHING PARTNER...NUNZI HAD THE BIGGEST STIPER HUNG IN HIS WALKIN AT THAT TIME . 55 LBS.. THATS WHERE I CAME UP WITH THE NAME "LOST A ROD " BRAND NEW SPIN ROD WITH A PENN 710.LOST IT IN GREAT BAY.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I fished the end of mystic islands in the 60's and I can remember plenty of people fishing there.It was no secret then and a sporting good store in the Medford area where I lived recomended the area.As well as newspaper reports.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've never fish the point because i have my own spots. If he doesn't like the crowds do what I did and spend some time finding your own secret spots, because they're out there if you know what to look for and enjoy doing a little hunting. IMHO nothing is more satisfying to me than doing something a little different than others and being succesful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
I came across this on Scott's Bait and Tackle's site.

E-mail: 3/5/04
"Just wanted to drop a note telling you how great it is the way you have exploited the early spring Gravelling Point fishery. The crowds there have become tremendous. Putting an exact location on the internet along with a daily report leads to the mayhem down there. The best spots fill up quickly, and while I'm sure bloodworm sales are through the roof in March and April, you have ruined what was once a pleasant place to fish. You can count on never receiving buisness from me or my friends in the future. Also, offering a prize for the first striped bass killed each year is disgraceful. As a buisness that thrives on the well being of our ocean's resources I would think catch and release would be advocted by your establishment. The fish frequenting Gravelling Point are the final portions of a dwindling population of Striped Bass that make New Jersey their home year round. Just ask Rutgers. I wonder how many tagged fish have hung from the scales of your shop. When the fishery tanks again, as its sure to the way things are going now, you and the other Ocean Rapists will regret not taking action now when you're chatting it up in the welfare line."
Submitted by: Zeke

Hi Zeke1;

I don't suppose you remember the days when Nunzi Bruno owned Great Bay Marina? You know, the days before the internet? Folks used to line the banks 24 hours a day. Did you notice that the area is surprising clean from trash and other debris? No, I don't take credit for it, but the Osborne Island folks and anglers keep the area clean and I make an effort to walk the area myself once in a while with a bucket and rarely find much to pick up. Some anglers take quite a few fish from the point and others sneak fish off that don't meet regulations - not just here but everywhere, unfortunately. It's the anglers that fish the Graveling Point area that keep the problems to a minimum. I haven't found the need to push the catch and release issue; anglers that fish the point surely do release more fish then make it to the dinner table. I am sure if you have read the past daily reports that I do encourage the issue of catch and release and make every effort to educate people of the regulations.
I understand the position of your opinion, but find it difficult to accept blame as you care to point a finger at Scott's Bait and Tackle. As to the loss of you and your friends business, I believe that is more of a punishment to you then it is to me. We try to provide decent hours, fair service and quality bait and rigs to our customers and in your opinion too much information to help anglers actually catch fish. Don't you think it would be hypocritical to sell bait and tackle and keep secrets? Maybe catering to anglers who still try to enjoy the sport and interaction with other anglers will be our new customer base.
I am very fortunate to say that I receive a lot more e-mails and letters thanking Scott's bait and tackle for our efforts. Many clubs, schools, youth fishing and hunting programs as well as individuals have benefited from what I have given back to the community in the past and I will continue to do so into the future.
Proud of what I do, Scott Albertson/Scott's Bait & Tackle
I'm not going to address one person. I love to fish. Once upon a time graveling point, as well as some other locations, was new to me. I would show up and find some closed mouth fishermen dragging their catch back home. Too often these guys are unwilling to share the details on their catch or help the new guy out. THEY GOT THEIR'S AND TO HELL WITH HELPING OTHERS TO ENJOY THE SAME EXPERIENCE! The nerve of us wanting to keep the fish to ourselves. I took my son down there some fifteen years ago to start him out fishing. Thankfully Scott's gave us the skinny on fishing the point. We did and caught a few schoolies which we returned to the sea. My son talks about those experiences all the time. They are priceless memories. I won't support a businessman who is in it just for the money. Scott is in it for all the right reasons. Yes I know the feeling when your favorite spot is no longer quite the same. Why not walk along and help some newbie rig up better. You sound a little too selfish. It's not good for you or others. Look, graveling point was "famous" long before I actually went there some fifteen or twenty years ago. Actually I fished it about forty years ago for the first time. A place with fairly easy access, which produces fish, is going to be busy. I think you really need to look at people like the Fisherman Magazine who regularly print directions as well as how to's on Graveling Point. Incidentally, they aren't doing anything wrong either.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Zeke's an idiot. Scott is a gem of a guy with a great shop. There are more stripers in the water than there have been in a century. Graveling Point is Public parkland.. did I mention Zeke is an idiot?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I fished graveling point with my dad at night back in the mid sixties. First time fishing at night. We didn't catch anything but it was fun.
OOPPSS there I go with the spots again; ruining it for the real fishermen.

G

·
Scotts B&T is a topshelf operation. i guess zeke wants them to mislead or lie to his customers. the popularity in striper fishing has probably gone up 500%. so yes they are going to be more fisherman. doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out :rolleyes: . as for his remark about a dwindling population.... :rolleyes: ...i would bet that there are more stripers than bluefish right now. i have read about graveling point in The Fisherman as well in other local and regional magazines and newspapers so zeke better make sure he writes to them as well. it still amazes me how narrow minded and ignorant people can be.
Nick

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
I'M SORRY TO SAY THERE ARE A LOT OF ZEKE'S OUT THERE WHO HAVE TONS OF SECRET spots.

[ 03-08-2004, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
329 Posts
The future of regional fishing articles.

?There were striped fish taking what appeared to be long, red, strands of something wiggly. These squirmy pieces were adhered to a barbed metallic object, and thrust into salty water along a grass-covered sodbank in a portion of NJ frequented by what could be fishermen, but that?s not been substantiated. Local proprietors say that the best action is when the tide is moving one way over another, though nobody?s really saying.?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Scott shouldn't have given the guy the time of day. That's why computers have a delete button. That guy is a fool.

Ace's Place used to post honest reports like Scotts in the paper years ago but you didn't see them every day. Scott supplies great real time info for the anglers that fish the area.

Keep up the good work and just use the delete button on those that have no clue!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts