BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After last weeks trip under the lights where the fish were finicky I made up a mess of small flies, so I am all set the next time I need some.

Must of had too much time on may hands today. Had a squirrels tail that I have had for a long time and decided to make a different kind of fly.

Did put the white on the top and blue on the bottom, but what the heck. If a fish is dumb enough to hit this I don't think it will matter.
It is almost twice the size shown in the photo. I will let you know if I ever use it or catch on it.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Ray Looks like your having too much time on your hands. Go fishing.:) BTW bone in?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ray,
If they work, let me know- I have a constant source of tails in the back yard and a very accurate .22
I have similar concoctions with long ostritch tails and anything else laying around the tying table. Usually mine are done in a fit of boredom in the middle of the winter- must really be blowing down there!
Tom

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
left the bone in. It looked like it might simulate a big fish. When all the guys are live lining down here it might come in handy. Will be hell to cast. I am thinking heavy sinking. Fling and strip out line to get it down.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Ray,
I've got a pile of 14" turkey primaries and 10" body feathers I've picked up from the woods if you want them. Barred brown with white on the primaries, dark mottled brown with a dark stripe for the body feathers. Would make a nice huge bunker pattern. I was thinking of tying one up as a joke, but I don't have any big hooks.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Fling and strip out line to get it down.

Figured as much. Good luck. BTW my "go to" fly for tarpon is a cockroach substituting one of my cats neck fur instead of squirrel. Cat died & grandaughter would not let me skin her. Starting to run out of the infamous "kitty fly" :)

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it ever catches anything, I will call it a Tree Rat Fly. They are no different than rats with a fussy tail.

Pete Curran, from the club is down in Wildwood today. We are going to try and fly fish early this evening. May just have to put that baby in the water and see what happens. It may not even track good.

Turkey feathers would probably float without a good amount of weight. Could make a super steroid jiggie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts