BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the extreme top secret super ultimate hush hush wink wink nudge nudge creek today on my lunch break and saw LOADS of bait. No herring yet, but I might have been off on the tide or too early for the new moon. The tide was about 2 hours into outgoing, so it was rushing out of there. But there were hundreds of killies pushing water on the surface. I'm surprised there were no stripers, but again, I think I was a little late on the tide for that particular spot. I caught my first two bass of 2003 on April 2 & 3 there (one about 33" and one big one that broke my leader), so I know they should be in there by now. The water temps were probably in the low 50's, judging from the water on my fly.

Either way, with such a great day, it was nice to get out and do some roll casting. Too bad I couldn't do any fancy double hauls there to really stretch out the old arm ;) .

[ 04-06-2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Dave Sounds good & looking forward to you first picture.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Dave, sounds promising. It is a lot warmer just that little bit further inland. Watch out for those horseflys.

I went to get grout for a tile job I am trying to finish up before things get hot. Stopped at Herefords on the way back and saw a couple of guys fishing, heavy outgoing tide and a lot of weed. No bait around the rocks or any signs of life. Couple of guys fishing, didn't see any bites.

Too nice to work inside, so I bottom painted the boat. Just some waxing and I think I will put her in the slip. Was going to trailer to the bay, or river but think all this rain and wind will have it pretty stirred up for awhile.

Once the boat is in the water, I will have to try cause it is easier. It has to start sometime, hopefully some of the guys where out today and got some.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It a lot warmer because the water is a lot dirtier. Though, being so dirty, I could still see the fly down about a foot. That's about the best clarity I've ever seen on that creek. At these times when the minnies are pushing wakes like that, sometimes a good old popper or slider works. Let it swing in the current and hold it steady "in the shade" as it pushes water. You don't actually pop it, just let it slide on the surface. I've caught a few bass at that "shady" spot doing that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts