BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been slowly working my way out little by little i have been getting all the safety stuff on board . I have a 24' w/a . I dont know much about the radar systems. I would like to work my way out to 20miles . Do i need to get a radar for that or what? And do i need two ant's on my boat . Please fill me in guys.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Radar is a great tool if you find yourself running in fog or night time often. Like any tool, you need to know how to use it to get the most out of it.

With your boat, you don't need anything massive. Idealy a 4kw dome would be just fine, as you are probably only concerned with objects in the way, nav markers, and other boats.

If you are on a budget (like 99% of America), I would suggest a furuno 1715. It's a nice little stand alone radar, b/w LCD screen (no point in having color), and extremely easy to use. Dispite the fact that its only a 2.2 kw set, the results have been damn good to my eyes. Leaving the Maurice River, we can see the DE coast and the NJ Cape perfectly. Seeing boats 8 miles away is no problem.

I have many friends that have this unit, and they all are tickled pink. The best part is it won't break the bank, usualy around 1700.

As far as having two antennas... that's a toss up.. some will argue yes if you can switch them on the radio, some will have two radios and one antenna. I have always felt a good radio and a good antenna can't be beat for reliability. A handheld in a ditch bag will work a lot better if you find yourself offshore with a dead battery!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Of course Joe is right -on here but I just wanted to check if you already have a chartplotter that the manufacturer may also offer a radar expansion module to your existing equipment....just a long shot. Also do you currently have two antennae masts on the boat that you're questioning? If so, is it possible one is an old LORAN antenna ( which is now obsolete)? Was unclear with this. I also agree with Joe that a good handheld is worth it's weight in gold. If you are in the market for that I would consider the new waterproof HH's now with the ability to give up your GPS coordinates....I think ICOM and Standard Horizon have them. Definitly pricy but worth consideration.

To add..I have a 2KW Radar and for accident avoidance... this is plenty. If you are trying to pick up birds as a fishing tool then you will need at least a 4kw unit. My $0.02

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now i have a LCX-26c HD lowrance . I have one antenna for vhf there is one more on the boat it has around can at the bottom and a 4ft long metal antenna any ideal what that is used for or sould i remove it . I looked at lowrance unit it does not have a chartplotter. I saw a used jrc 3000 radar for sale on the barn . I have never heard of one . Its 24mile radar systems.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Right now i have a LCX-26c HD lowrance . I have one antenna for vhf there is one more on the boat it has around can at the bottom and a 4ft long metal antenna any ideal what that is used for or sould i remove it . I looked at lowrance unit it does not have a chartplotter. I saw a used jrc 3000 radar for sale on the barn . I have never heard of one . Its 24mile radar systems.
It might be a AM/FM antenna... if you can get part #'s off of it, we can tell for sure.

The JRC is 1/2 decent radar. They have a few problems with leaky domes and a poorly designed cable that is prone to cause damage to the back of the unit. Persionaly I would stay away from it. If oyu ever need service, almost everyone works on and stocks furuno parts.. they have been the same for years.

·
Registered
776 Posts
hey there,
have a real 2kw Simrad, 2kw, 10"glass screen, scan strut mount.
Worked great on the past owned 23 mako, reads sticks, reads storms
$2200.
Not comparable to the furuno or the JRC cheap units. Way beyond those...
Currently have a Simrad 4kw, picked up the t-storms 10 miles inshore of Cape may, in August when we were at the Claw.......
Real good machines,
Will demo..
Rich

·
Registered
128 Posts
Stuart; I have a LCX 27 and added A lowrance (northstar) radar 1800, cost about $1000, it works OK, if you go the add on route you will have to upgread some soft wear in your unit (down load off internet). It's my understanding you cant just add any radar dome (other than lowrance) and make it work with your unit! Installing it has some problems that would be in installing any brand, I had to take the wires out of the unit to get them threw the T top tubes (had to rewire leaning over top, what a pain), if you add on Lowrance let me know - have lots of advice - some of it might be usefull! :huh: A point of interest, I am old and need glasses to see the screen, spliting the size screen we have, for examp. radar and depth (sonar) dosen't work very well for me it isnt easy to see at this size. If you can find some one upgreading to the new stough that has a LCX27 with radar that thay would sell I would be interested in spliting it up with you, you keep the radar and me the unit. I run off shore at nite and would use both, giving a full screen for both functions! If you want to see this stough work, stop by and we can fire it up and play with it so you get a real time example of how it works, the simulaters in the displays arn't very usefull! 856 299 7137

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.