BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
drove by the springton res. last night, and started thinking about all the time I spent there before moving to nj. as I passed, it really bugged me that no one can fish there. Does anyone really buy the story the water company gave when they closed it-to keep the water from being poisoned-not that they were building milllion dollar homes and didn't want people looking out their windows at guys fishing. Did the water company do background checks on every person who bought a house, every contractor or sub that does work. dothey stop and check every thing that comes in and out of those developments. I think not. maybe its time for the anglers of pa. to put a little pressure on the water company to reopen the res, or at least be honest about why they closed it.
on the bright side, if some miracle happens and they open it back up, there will be some monsters in there.
sorry to be so long-winded, but driving by there just pissed me off.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Stop by there a couple times every spring and see giant Bass along the Rip Rap at both Bishop Hollow and Gradyville road, and i look over to the area we use to call the Flats and cant help but think of the amount and size of the Crappie and Bluegills that are there late March and all of April, Dam Shame i wish they would just open it for a week so i could take my son to where my father taught me everything i know about fishing:(:mad:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Dam Shame i wish they would just open it for a week so i could take my son to where my father taught me everything i know about fishing:(:mad:[/QUOTE]

could'nt say it any better..... the kids from delco have no place to fish. alot of tradition down the tubes thanks to AUQA.

·
Banned
86 Posts
They closed that along time ago,

drove by the springton res. last night, and started thinking about all the time I spent there before moving to nj. as I passed, it really bugged me that no one can fish there. Does anyone really buy the story the water company gave when they closed it-to keep the water from being poisoned-not that they were building milllion dollar homes and didn't want people looking out their windows at guys fishing. Did the water company do background checks on every person who bought a house, every contractor or sub that does work. dothey stop and check every thing that comes in and out of those developments. I think not. maybe its time for the anglers of pa. to put a little pressure on the water company to reopen the res, or at least be honest about why they closed it.
on the bright side, if some miracle happens and they open it back up, there will be some monsters in there.
sorry to be so long-winded, but driving by there just pissed me off.
back in the late 60's and very early 70's they closed it to fishing when guys began to swim there, and drown. I know of at least 3 guys that drown there, and got my first paper route from Ed Foley when he drowned there. I also used to goose hunt there, and then they began to build homes in the late 70's and early 80's. Mike Schmidt was one of the first guys to build a home there. Around that time they circled the entire resevoir with a fence and guarded it. They always tossed you out if they caught you fishing or hunting in there, in fact I once got caught by that weirdo John Dupont who used to dress up as a Marple Newtown police officer and patrol the streets all on his own. He gave so much money to that township they let him do whatever he wanted for a while until he shot and killed that wrestler. He took our guns and we had to go and get them back from the police chief on monday morning. He was very apologetic. I think all things considered, they decided to just close it to everyone, for every thing. Things used to be simple in the 60's........today, you need a govt grant and funding just to say......Fine for fishing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also knew guys who drowned and 1 who broke his neck diving in. we used to go to "The Rock" and drink and fish, put lanterns on the bridges for crappies,and I could go on and on.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I also knew guys who drowned and 1 who broke his neck diving in. we used to go to "The Rock" and drink and fish, put lanterns on the bridges for crappies,and I could go on and on.
Spent many summers at 'The Rock' back in the 70s. Used to go just to see girls skinny dipping there.:D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Spent many summers at 'The Rock' back in the 70s. Used to go just to see girls skinny dipping there.:D

it's funny how you can tell peoples age from how they refer to "the rock"... pre 1980 (about) it's the rock... after they call it the quarry...aleast it seems that way to me. and yes the girls at the rock didn't seem to own bathing suit tops:thumbsup::D

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Stop by there a couple times every spring and see giant Bass along the Rip Rap at both Bishop Hollow and Gradyville road, and i look over to the area we use to call the Flats and cant help but think of the amount and size of the Crappie and Bluegills that are there late March and all of April, Dam Shame i wish they would just open it for a week so i could take my son to where my father taught me everything i know about fishing:(:mad:
Amen Iggy. Thats where i learned to fish too

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I once had a muskie tear a crappie in half as i was bringing it in. I was about 12 and that fish still haunts me. In my head i picture the thing being huge. Who knows how big it actually was.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I once had a muskie tear a crappie in half as i was bringing it in. I was about 12 and that fish still haunts me. In my head i picture the thing being huge. Who knows how big it actually was.
I caught a 36+ inch tiger muskie one year crappie fishing back on gradyville road on ultralight tackle. . . one of my best catches ever!!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
My friend and I used to fish there. He did well in life and purchased a home on the hill over looking his favorite fishing area. Soon after-he was no longer allowed to fish there (either).

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I feel like this same exact thread is resurrected each spring. I used to sneak in there all the time in high school, really tempting to do it again, but as I've grown older, no fish is worth sneaking around and trespassing for. Damn shame though.

Definetaly some HUGE bass patrolling the rip rap in there all spring. My best in there was about 6 LBs and I don't even know what I am doing. All I would ever do is throw a big old black worm at dusk into dark. Can't imagine what kind of pig bass and musky are in there.....

Gator - that is freaking weak with your buddy. Absolutely ridiculous.

RyanF

·
Registered
242 Posts
Gator - that is freaking weak with your buddy. Absolutely ridiculous.

RyanF
Yeah-the guy lives to fish for LMB. Fishes Tournaments all over- BUT wanted to stay in DELCO AND have access to fish.
REturns from being away and at the bottom of the hill is a new cyclone fence with signs.
They charged a BIG premium for being "lake front". Hard to imagine the irony and the torture. The extra taxes are the icing.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Yeah-the guy lives to fish for LMB. Fishes Tournaments all over- BUT wanted to stay in DELCO AND have access to fish.
REturns from being away and at the bottom of the hill is a new cyclone fence with signs.
They charged a BIG premium for being "lake front". Hard to imagine the irony and the torture. The extra taxes are the icing.
That is why bolt cutters were made! We should get a sh!t load people to just go out there and congregate around both the Gradyville and Bishop hollow bridges on a weekend day, get people to drop us off so we are not illegally parking or just bike in by the hundreds no rods no reels just some sort of protest to get someones attention, maybe leak it to a news station, it is totally redicolous that this lake is closed to the public and there is no where in Delco for a father to take his kids to learn how to fish.:mad::mad:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ah, the memories. Used to fish there all the time. I would park across the street on 252, and jump the wall to fish by the point and dam.

After I had my two sons, I would take them to the legal parking lot on Gradyville Rd and we would catch sunnies and yellow perch all day long.

I haven't been there since it's been off limits. It's a shame since it's such prime water.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That is why bolt cutters were made! We should get a sh!t load people to just go out there and congregate around both the Gradyville and Bishop hollow bridges on a weekend day, get people to drop us off so we are not illegally parking or just bike in by the hundreds no rods no reels just some sort of protest to get someones attention, maybe leak it to a news station, it is totally redicolous that this lake is closed to the public and there is no where in Delco for a father to take his kids to learn how to fish.:mad::mad:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is something that definately should happen and definately would get something moving in the right direction.

·
Registered
506 Posts
sad to say, but that place is overrun with white perch now, all those things do is eat everythings fry and eggs, big surprise with the flatheads in there along with the bass feeding on them, things things reproduce like crazy. Same thing happened to churchville, nothing but dink bass and white perch now, havent caught a crappie there in over 2 years now, but could easily limit out on white perch if i wanted to, both bodies of water. core creek will face the same fate soon i am guessing.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
sad to say, but that place is overrun with white perch now, all those things do is eat everythings fry and eggs, big surprise with the flatheads in there along with the bass feeding on them, things things reproduce like crazy. Same thing happened to churchville, nothing but dink bass and white perch now, havent caught a crappie there in over 2 years now, but could easily limit out on white perch if i wanted to, both bodies of water. core creek will face the same fate soon i am guessing.
Though i will agree with you about the white perch being there in great numbers by now, the lake is plenty big enough to sustain all species, when i drive by the gradyville and bishop hollow bridges and pull over to take a look there are large amounts of panfish Bluegills and Crappies in the brushpiles along the riprap and the size of the Bass swimming along the riprap at this time of year is amazing, The Muskies and Bass i'm sure will keep the white perch numbers down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.