BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into selling my boat.
My question is how do you prevent people from just going for a boat ride?

Any tips would be appreciated. I went thru a broker last time, but this time I'd like to handle it.

George

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Sell it NOW

List it now George...Jaws and I just had this conversation and I quote..."Selling bigger boats is a loosing game my strong brother" The money that the 17' and under are bringing, The solo skiffs. the Carolinas etc. etc. compared to what the larger boats are bringing is sick!! There is a nice 23' Hydra Sport Vector on here for 15K!
I would clean it up make sure it is sound mechanically and make it ready to show...It's gonna take a while... You can tell by talking to someone if they are serious before you take them for a boat ride..but it is part of the game and that what brokers do for you!
In the mean time get yourself a back bay skiff! I have been fishing the back more and more in the last few years and find it quite enjoyable...Thanks to Obi-Wan Kenobi of the back bay (A.K.A. F.U.)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If you want to you can take a deposit for a ride. That is what a dealer will do. For the exact reason. I had a dealer say you had to leave a full nonrefundable deposit. Only refund way was bad surey. That was a joke. You will probably tell a real buyerbut you cant be a s hard as a dealer. If the boat is cheaper then it is harder to do than a more expensive one. You also canloss a buyer due to the rules. Tell them leave a full refundable deposit if seems ok and non refundable for what seems tire kicker.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ask them to pay the gas for the test drive and if they buy the boat you will take it off your asking price. I would hope potential buyers would respect your time but no guarantee.

sorry to hear you are going to sell your boat, I can tell from your posts over the years how much you enjoy your Steigercraft.

Good luck with your decision...

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I've sold hundreds of boats in the last 20 years and I still chuckle at the fact that maybe only a few were test driven before the sale :D. And those were were already in the water because I had no trailer for them.

I have a good game...lets just say you'd be trading your mistress for my rowboat by the time we were done....:D ......I will give you a secret....most of mine were under 10k but the same rules apply:

If someone asks for a test ride just say: "You're the 4th person to ask this week. The other three will be here Friday at noon and I'll take everyone out at the same time". 9.5 times out of 10 the guy will try and make a deal before Friday to avoid a bidding war. If he's really interested he will offer a deposit for a test drive before you even ask.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Moving up down or getting out? looks like a great boat

Boat rides are after serious interest is shown-Tire kickers treated like a boat show. Step on look around etc.

I like the idea of saying you set up multiple showings same day so wont have time that day for boat ride-will see who is serious or not.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
I do both but could see 1 day just open boat charters.

Good luck with sale-you in the new section breezeelee? I am old section I6-behind mechanics shop. I will stop by and check her out

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do both but could see 1 day just open boat charters.

Good luck with sale-you in the new section breezeelee? I am old section I6-behind mechanics shop. I will stop by and check her out
I'll be in the new G dock if they ever get done dredging!
Right now she's tied up on the new H dock.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
this isn't a post i thought i would see lol... you selling your boat.. i can see what you mean though.. going on charters, open boats, party boats and friends boats..

this is awesome.. can tell he sold a few boats

If someone asks for a test ride just say: "You're the 4th person to ask this week. The other three will be here Friday at noon and I'll take everyone out at the same time". 9.5 times out of 10 the guy will try and make a deal before Friday to avoid a bidding war. If he's really interested he will offer a deposit for a test drive before you even ask.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.