BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I've only been a member of the barn since last season and only posted a few times. However, I'm on here daily I really gain a lot of knowledge from what most of you talk about.

Anyway, I dock in west wildwood and love to fish the the delaware bay....on good days. I have a CC sea fox 197. It was my first year owning a boat and I'm hooked! The boat itself is great. But the light weight of the hull, along with the short gunels give me a bit of problem when seas get a little rough.

I really wanted to upgrade slightly. I can't afford anything huge, but I was looking at the 20 and 21fters at the boat show. I found a reasonaby priced Angler 204 there. The length wasn't much bigger but it was a heavier hull and the gunels were way deeper. I just want something that will make feel a little safer out there. I just want to fish with it, which is why I liked the Angler. It was "no frills". Just a nice looking boat with plenty of fishing room for when I hook into all those skates and dogfish I seem to be so good at catching.

Any input on the Angler boat or anything relevent would be greatly appreciated.

Damn, I can't wait to get out there!!

Joe

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
i owned a 22 foot angler wa with a 225 mercury and loved it...angler makes a nice boat at an affordable price.. everyone will suggest..different makes but for me for the price angler is a solid boat.. and most models have a great layout..goodluck.. i fish the bay as my main fishery if you need any help give me a shout...out of bayway marina

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
havent had an angler, but last year got a 22.5 key west. i think 21-22' is perfect for the bay. in the key west we were out in some very nasty days, but yet i still felt confortable in the boat. its amazing how fast the bay can go from beautiful to terrible. its nice to have that couple extra feet to handle the bays rough chop.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Think Used

At the prices of used boats now, it is the time to think about going for a used boat. You'll save a heck-of-a-lot. Many of our Bass
Sponsors sell used boats & I'm sure they can be of help. You can always just buy the boat or go for the whole package, and you have a trade-in. Don:eek:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
19ft and 23ft, to me are the two magic numbers.19ft is trailorable therefore you can save on slip and gas. 19 ft is very seaworthy, even in the most extreme weather, taking for granted that motor, bildge pump, and captain ability doesn't let you down. The way I look at it, is it's safe if you know what your doing. I would pick my days and not take any chances in being caught out in 15 plus mph if at all possible. Jumping up to 23ft spans that chop that erickoch talks about. Any thing in between in my book doesn't do it. A 23fter makes it feel like a different world out in the Del Bay because it spans that chop. Makes and models are a whole other can of worms.I've been out there in a lot of different boats and have owned a lot of different boats and have many years experience (40 plus ) in the bay. If you can afford a 23, I would think an Angler would be a great boat for that bay. Otherwise I would stick with the 19 that you have and pick my days.:thumbsup:
Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
If you are going to keep it in the water, I would go with a 22 - 23 foot. That seems to be the right length to span the waves when it gets nasty.
If you plan to trailer I would look 19 - 20.
I bought a new Maycraft 1900 w/ 115 Yamaha with a tandem aluminum trailer for much less than the 204 Angler at the show. I really like the boat motor combo. With 2 guys full fuel at 4k I run 28-29 mph and it sips fuel. I trailer 100% of the time. I bought in Virginia and saved $5k

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I didnt know of the bass barn and didnt have any friends or family that fished. So I didnt have anyone tell me not to buy new. I bought a brand new 18ft sea hunt center console and all though she is sea worthy, catches fish, and is totally fun, it didnt take long for me to realize on the bay that that boat was not what I wanted.

On that note I have a few more years before I can get a new boat.

After a few years of fishing the bay here are the must haves I need on my next boat.

1. Minimum of 25ft.
2. Some type of enclosure. (im going parker) No CC..
3. Windlass anchor
4. Sleeping area
5. Some type of toilet for days after wing night....
6. ability to sit down and cruise
7. Large deck for fishing 5-6 guys
8. ability to go 30 miles offshore
9. Salt water wash down
10. live well
11. fish boxes so that the cooler storing is minumum.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
What boat to buy depends largely on what you, as an individual, are going to need for your specific fishing needs. Killerbee offered some nice features, however are they going to suit YOUR needs? For example, do you want to sleep out on the bay? If not, you don't need a sleeping area. Do you normally fish with 5 or 6 guys. Or 2 or 3? A live well is a nice feature but will a minnow bucket suffice? Bottom line: there is no one bay fishing boat that suits EVERYONE'S needs.

I started fishing the bay in '97 with a 18' wellcraft. Used it two years and learned it was not for me. I gave it a lot of thought and bought a Wellcraft Step V20 and I am very satisfied with it. It's deep V gives a confortable ride, it has lotsa cockpit space and an enclosure for wind, sun and water protection. It's big enough for the bay, yet small enough to trailer. Hope this post helps you.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
I agree with killerbee I have a 18.5 foot mako a great boat and can go out most days on the bay. But a wrap around to protect you and a boat that is deep so you can lean on the sides when it gets rough. Some times bells and whistles are good. Alot of good used boats out there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have fished a a fair amount on an Angler 220F, and I have to say I was very pleased by how the boat handled. The boat ran great in some very heavy chop and in some large swells on another day. The 220F is a basic set up for the most part but as I said before it ran great when it was snotty, but what really impressed me was how dry the boat was. Definitely worth taking a look at, and they are reasonably priced as well.

·
Registered
723 Posts
the 52 cabo flybridge is the one i want,at a cool 1.7mill. i'll keep dreaming!!! do your reasearch it is a boat BUYERS market!!!you'll find the boat that suits you:thumbsup: just remember the three things no man can get thats too big 1) his bank accnt:please:2)his willy:eek: 3)and his boat:bow:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Grew up as a kid on my fathers boat with a 21'wa, when I got my own boat started off with a 19' sea pro c/c. Had for a couple years and got caught in some nasty $hit before realizing that I needed something with a full encloseur. Then upgraded to a 22' sea pro w/a and it handles very well esp in the unforgiving D-Bay conditions. 19' was definitely easier to trailer and handle if needed to ramp by myself. 22' little less manageable on the ramp but more secure on the water. I keep it in a slip and fish often by myself so 21-25' range is perfect for the bay and still manageable alone. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
827 Posts
There is a 212 w/a Hydra Sport on Ebay right now that is a great buy. 2002 150 Yamaha (254 hrs). You would love this boat and bid starts at $13,000. No takers as of yesterday.

:eek: Unless you can see it in person I would be very wary of these e-bay big ticket items. Would have to be close by geographically E-Bay deal.

Good friend got royally screw buying a Harley out of Alabama.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.