BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard through the grapevine that its easier to coat the crease flys if you thin the epoxy a bit first...question is what do you use to do this...how much...I tried some 91% isopropyl alcohol that I got from the drug store and it seemed to do the trick..just a few drops from an eye dropper, am i on the right track?

·
Registered
185 Posts
KK,

I think alcohol is often used to thin epoxy. I've used it now and then while building my skiff. Good for cleanup also. I have an article at home - I think in Fly Tyer Mag - by Boyd Pfeiffer about thinning all kinds of stuff like goop, epoxy, silicone. I'll make a copy and
get it to you. Will you be at the SJCFA meeting?

Dave

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dave, yeah I'll be at the next meeting...I had heard about Denatured Alcohol before...just didnt know where to find it...Paint Stores huh? is it cheap?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would guess $2 or $3 a pint at HD. I'll bring the article Tuesday. Think about some patterns I can tie for use in Marathon, end of March.
Brad Buzzi is bringing some really cool crease-fly making material to the meeting. His C/F is the best! He's really got that dialed in and knows all the tips and tricks, don't miss it!
See you then.

Dave

·
Registered
31,592 Posts
Have you tried warming it up?

Some people put it in the Microwave. I warm up some water on the stove, just before boiling, hold them in there for a minute or so and it thin's right up.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[email protected] 2-3 bucks it wont break the bank... Dave, Ive got an ultra easy-ultra realistic crab fly I'll bring you...you'd defiantly score with that...it'll hold the "go juice" nicely...(I'll explain) ;)
In the meantime it wouldnt hurt to tie up some "Crazy Charlies" in your basic tans, browns, light pink..nothing fancy...Del Browns Permit crab is another good one...and the Ultra shrimp is good too...any cructatean(sp?) pattern really...Just remember if it doesnt ride hook up 100% of the time defiantly go with a mono weed guard...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Heat is a nice thing. User your desk lamp for heat: easy, quick and free. I use 30min on Crease Flies - its thin to start with and once you coat the fly, off to the wheel it goes. You can get a few done per batch. You can thin epoxy if you want. Try out all the methods they all work then use what works for you.

brad

P.S. I will be doing Crease Flies at the SJCFA meeting on the 17th. Need foam and foil? I will have it at the SJCFA meeting.

(((((check out loon softhead)))))))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts