BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied from njtrout.com:

If you have tears, be prepared to shed them now. The dedicated funds in the Hunters and Anglers Fund are not dedicated anymore. Two million dollars have been taken from the Hunters and Anglers Fund to run other programs outside the Division of Fish and Wildlife. Apparently no one in the governor's office is aware that the Division is already in dire financial staits. This diversion of funds puts $30M t0 $40M of federal aid funds in jeapordy. The federal acts that provide these funds require that the state's fish and game agency have control over its own funding (the Hunters and Anglers Fund). Now the Division obviously does not have that control. The money you are paying for your rods and reels have an excise tax attached to them. Its this revenue that provides the funding for the federal aid programs that keep the Division afloat. Now the money we pay for these taxes will be divided up between the other 49 states and we won't see a penny of it. If part of the plan was to sink the Division, it has succeeded. I would advise you, your wife, your kids, your dog and whatever else you have in livestock contact your legislators and the governor's office and demand that the Hunters and Anglers Fund have the $2M returned to it immediately. This is the first time any governor has sunk so low and betrayed the state's sportsmen by raiding their dedicated fund. This is your license money we're talking about! I've been told that the Commissioner had requested that the $2M be restored to the Division, but it didn't happen

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NEW JERSEY STATE FEDERATION OF SPORTSMEN?S CLUBS

LEGISLATIVE ALERT

2005 STATE BUDGET ?ILLEGAL Transfer of

$2 Million Dollars from Fish & Wildlife Funds to Parks & Forests

One of the principal reasons for the success of New Jersey?s Wildlife Management Programs has been the stable funding of the NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife provided by NJ sportsmen through the Hunters and Anglers Fund. Since its inception the law governing the use of this fund, which is derived primarily from sportsmen?s annual license fees and Federal excise taxes on sporting arms and ammunition, states that moneys in this fund are DEDICATED, and are to be used ONLY for wildlife related purposes by the NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife.

The 2005 State Budget (see pg. #61, line 6 & 7) recently signed into law by Governor McGreevey would, for the first time ever, change the way the fund is administered, by illegally removing $2 million dollars from the Division of Fish & Wildlife?s ?Hunters and Anglers Fund?, and transferring it to the Division of Parks and Forests. This illegal transfer would have drastic repercussions for fish & wildlife management in our State, not the least of which will be an additional loss of over $4.2 million dollars annually from Federal Aid to Wildlife funding received by New Jersey.

THIS ILLEGAL FUNDING TRANSFER MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO TAKE PLACE.

The following should be CONTACTED IMMEDIATELY requesting the removal of this illegal action from the 2005 New Jersey State Budget Even if you never before made legislative phone calls - make these.

Governor James E. McGreevey ? ph. (609) 292-6000

Commissioner Bradley Campbell ? ph. (609) 292-2885

Your local Senators and Assemblypersons

Members of the Joint Budget Oversight Committee

Sen. Wayne R. Bryant, ph. (856)757-0552

Sen. Bernard F. Kenny, ph. (201) 653-1466

Sen. Leonard Lance, ph. (908) 788-6900

Assemblyperson Louis D Greenwald, ph. (856) 783-0444

Assemblyperson Joseph R. Malone, ph. (609) 298-6250

Assemblyperson Bonnie Watson-Coleman ph. (609) 292-0500

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Years ago, California had a model boating fund system. It developed a surplus of 37 million, which Sacramento raided and diverted to other uses. It's the same old story....

·
Registered
782 Posts
An underlying factor to concerns stated above related to A-1686, is the continuation of New Jersey sportsmen funding the Hunters and anglers Dedicated Fund at a level necessary to properly manage New Jersey's wildlife resource. The primary reason the New Jersey sportsman has been willing to support ever increasing hunting and fishing license fees is his confidence that "his money" will be totally under the control of the division of Fish, Game and Wildlife and the Fish and Game Council and will not be diverted to other uses. A-1686, if enacted, would immediately erode the sportsmen's confidence in the integrity of the dedicated fund with a resulting lack of support for the fund, license fee increases and the Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife itself. Fish and Game law enforcement would experience the same negative response that "D.E.P." now elicits.

A-1686 would do nothing to improve wildlife law enforcement in our state and in fact would be extremely detrimental to New Jersey's top quality wildlife law enforcement effort we enjoy today. The New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen urges the defeat of this ill conceived proposal.

http://www.jcaa.org/JCNL9605/9605NJCL.htm

-----------------------------------------------

I guess not much has changed since 1996.

·
Registered
375 Posts
this country fought a in a revolution to break away from the tyranny of a monarchy, these politicians who are voted in by the citizens are supposed to represent us. 99% of the time it doesnt happen, they have thier own agenda, im tired of my paycheck being taxed away and being told when and where to do everything, im not a lamb, something has to change. and i vote
see ya jim

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The Division,Council, Federation,JCAA,Campbell,
McGreevey are aware of the wrong doing by the signing of the 2005 budget that allowed the illegal transfer of $2 million dollars of dedicated funds to Parks and Forests.I was to
Thursday,s Federation meeting at Assinpink and this problem is being addressed as you read this
post.
Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Van Drew, Gibson and Asselta have heard from me

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Go right to the govenor's website and contact him with a letter!! I just completed mine.

BTW - I couldn't find any mention of the bill in the headlines of his or the NJDFG webites. If someone did find it referenced, please let us know here...

·
Registered
329 Posts
"If someone did find it referenced, please let us know here..."

It's in his 270-page budget you'd have to download from www.njleg.state.nj.us

A couple of notable 'appropriations' include:

"The amount hereinabove for the Hunters? and Anglers? License Fund is payable out of that Fund and 1 any amount remaining therein and the unexpended balance as of June 30, 2004 in the Hunters? and Anglers? License Fund, together with any receipts in excess of the amount anticipated, are 3 appropriated. If receipts to that fund are less than anticipated, the appropriation shall be reduced proportionately."

"In addition to the amount appropriated hereinabove for Parks Improvement there is appropriated $2,000,000 from the Division of Fish and Wildlife property sales revenue."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.