BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Lead wrapped behind hook eye coated with epoxy and painted with grey "hard as nails". Rides perfect with the hook down in the tub. You could tie it with a jig hook for the "full effect"...maybe even use tungston powder for the head ;)

[ 01-10-2004, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: hipkvw ]

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Hip, I like that baby. Now you have no excuse for using that spin rod when you got a go to pinky. Now that is new for 2004. Next year look for it to be in the 2005 catalog. Did you say you needed a field tester? ;)

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL...you can have a few when I get ambitous and tie some more. Ill make yours ride hook up if you like.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I really like the nice body taper and GREAT WORK on the spinning and trimming :cool: !

Remember our thread on fly types and why?

Could I ask, why the weighted head combined with the bouyant deer hair :confused: ?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Great looking fly Keith! If I could show a buddy of mine that fly, he might just take up fly fishing. He's kinda teetering right now, and that might make him fall to the fly side.
Frank, you're making me think too much on a Sunday morning with only a half of a cup of coffee in me. ;) :D

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Hip,that fly looks deadly,but just a thought,unless using deer hair for bouyancy,how about chenille for body,you could tye an underbody first to get the full body,might be an easier tye.Vinny

[ 01-11-2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Hip Looks good to me. Can think of many situations for using that fly. Like it.
Ron

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
We all agree, It looks good Hip. Now we just have to wait and see if it catches fish. The spinning of the deer hair makes it look like a slower tying process, it will be interesting to see the results.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Do they make pink Estaz? If they do, like Vinny said, you could use that instead of spinning deer hair. And it'll add some flash. Either way, it looks godd.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tied the same thing with Estaz last year...its called a shminnow ;)

This was kind of a novelty fly....hence the "lead head" I actually thought the lead wire would have pulled it under a bit but that spun hair is some boyant stuff! I was thinking if I could wrap the hook with tight wraps of lead or coat the hook with tungston and spin the hair over it that I could actually make a suspending fly....I would probably only have to tie 100 before i got the right amount of weight. As boyant as belly hair is it would probably weight a bit too. I am definitly going to tie some more like that and try them.....drifting into structure on a sinking line....hanging in the water column with the boyancy...who knows.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
If you're only looking for that effect, it's probably a zillion times easier to tie up a bouyant pink siliclone and use it on a sinking line. It'll save you a lot of aggrivation ;) .

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, I was bored I messed around....im never posting a picture of anything again ;) I like spinning hair. I can tie that fly 10 different ways ;)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Sweet bro! I like that one...I tied up some sweet jiggy's and tapered them to look like a zoom, Im also going to try to cut the tails off of the zooms and some mister twisters and blend them into the fly..I wish I could post a pic of what Ive been up too, oh well, you'll see them soon enough. Thanks again for all the starter stuff man!!! I knew this would be addicting!! :D

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
anyone,i am more of an oldschool tier,and am reall not familiar with all the newer or even more modern materials,I learned from an older mentor,who didnt really use alot of synthetics,What is (estaz)its ok if you get a laugh out of this question,but please give me an answer,Vinny Pastella

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
V:
Estaz is a type of dubbing. I'm sure many saltwater guys don't even know what dubbing is, either ;) . Dubbing is used to build up bodies on flies. Traditionally it is a material that is worked onto the thread with your fingers then wound onto the fly. Chenille is a also type of dubbing, and I'm sure you know what chenille is. But it is dubbing on a rope, so you don't have to put the dubbing on the thread yourself. All you do it wind the chenille around the hook. Estaz is just a big, flashy version of chenille. It's like cactus chenille.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Thanks fly tier,im very familiar with dubbing,tied thousands of freshwater flies ;)sounds like some good stuff,vinny Pastella

·
Registered
315 Posts
Originally posted by hipkvw:
Guys, I was bored I messed around....im never posting a picture of anything again ;) I like spinning hair. I can tie that fly 10 different ways ;)
dont let em get to ya there just jealous i'll take a dozen, should i order em directly from you or call Orvis? ;)

A few years back i tied the marlin fly that is on the box that fly flex body tubeing comes in everybody questioned it ie. how the hell do you fish that why does the ballyhoo have such a curve in it etc. it seems you and me are the only ones who understand novelty flies atleast yours will catch fish..

Rory

1 - 20 of 27 Posts