old boy last evening. The Philadelphia boy went into the ocean

around 6:30pm Sunday, on the south side of a jetty at the

Sixth Street Beach. The boy was taken out to sea by a strong

rip current. A major rescue attempt was made by surfers,

police, and the United States Coast Guard. The boy was

located about a half hour later, and he was immediately given

CPR and rushed to Shore Memorial Hospital in Somers Point,

where he was pronounced dead a short time later. Lifeguards

were off duty at the time of the drowning.

My wife, son, and I were out for a cruise around Ocean City to end our weekend on the boat. Headed out toward the inlet, was a little bumpy where we were so we figured on heading back to the ramp. Heard the Pan-Pan come over the radio around 6:39 of a 7year old in the water in the area of 7th st. I guess I spaced out 'cause I wasn't even thinking ocean-side. We shot over to the area in the back bay when it dawned on me. Called the CG and they advised it was ocean side. By then I knew there wasn't anything we could do at that point, plus I think we would have been more of a risk to ourselves out there than a help. Moseyed back to the ramp at SP and could see the Helo flying behind us along the shore. VERY sickening feeling.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Breaks your heart to hear these things, the beach can be a very dangerous place when conditions are bad. I wonder if during the last couple of weeks of school the could devote some time teaching the kids the dangers of oceans and lakes.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
sad indeed :(

Don't let your kids swim without lifeguards, unless you are vertain youcan rescue them if need be!

I can't tell you how many times we got calls after we where off work that people where stuck in rips 1/4 mile of the beach, after we where off duty.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Doh! :( :( :(

Where were the parents when this happened, and why did they let him swim alone without any lifeguards? He's only 7; if he was my kid I would have been right there near him in the ocean, in a lifeguarded area. Too young to be swimming alone unsupervised.

Too many people just don't respect the ocean. Sadly, this sort of thing happens way too much every summer around here.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
i was in the same area for a birthday party with my son and wife.alot of people in the water and a ton of lifeguard yells of" move over hear" and "come in closer to the beach".thing was most of the people just went on with what they were doing and payed no mind to the guards!!it might sound like over kill ,but when my 4 year old son is in the water "even in a lifeguard zone"i am right up on him.i never leave him alone,not for one second!!!sure he cries or yells when daddy or mommy says to not go out far or come in from the water now,but i'm
his parent and thats my JOB!to hear of this 7 year old drowning really is sad,i bet his parents never thought that this will be the day our son dies?there is really no reason this little boy had to die.please watch your kids and for gods sake keep thier lifejackets on at all times when on a boat.really sad to read,and the summer is just starting.be safe ,matt

[ 06-19-2006, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: sweet release1 ]

·
Registered
845 Posts
Originally posted by sweet release1:
i was in the same area for a birthday party with my son and wife.alot of people in the water and a ton of lifeguard yells of" move over hear" and "come in closer to the beach".thing was most of the people just went on with what they were doing and payed no mind to the guards!!it might sound like over kill ,but when my 4 year old son is in the water "even in a lifeguard zone"i am right up on him.i never leave him alone,not for one second!!!sure he cries or yells when daddy or mommy says to not go out far or come in from the water now,but i'm
his parent and thats my JOB!to hear of this 7 year old drowning really is sad,i bet his parents never thought that this will be the day our son dies?there is really no reason this little boy had to die.please watch your kids and for gods sake keep thier lifejackets on at all times when on a boat.really sad to read,and the summer is just starting.be safe ,matt
Great advice Matt

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Absolutely TRAGIC!!!! Sure the parents are partial to blame, but it just goes to show that it can happen in a milla second. Hopefully this is a wake up lesson for everyone. I'm sure this is one father who will never forget that day!!
My HEART goes out to the family!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
HEART BREAKING FOR SURE... :confused:

·
Registered
703 Posts
I thought i was a protective parent, kinda makes you think even twice all over again. My kids (when we go to the beach in the summertime) are never left out of my sight. THATS ON THE BEACH. In the water forget it, i have one hand on them at all times. Knowing LBI as i Do and for as long as ive been here to know, it only takes a second for the rip to grab ya. Being a pretty young parent i thought i would always be the cool dad, HA, how things change when it comes to your kids safety. SAD, SAD, SAD, my thoughts are with their family. Have fun in the ocean, But boy is she powerful, and sh'ell take ya if she wants ya, be careful, but have fun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts