BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently been aquainted with a
avid fishermen,hunter & outdoorsmen who retired
from the fishing company called Abu Garcia...
A true gentlemen and someone you can just talk
about fishing with for hours and hours...
Fishing of Days Past and Present..Like I say
if I am not fishing I am usually talking fishing.
Treasured Moments For Sure...

Well we were together last night and he said
he brought some things that he has collected
or come across over the years..He said that he
knew I was a Big Guy and fish the Surf so he
had some Big Stuff for Me to have and use....

Like a kid in a candy store I could not wait...
Here are some pictures of Mint Condition Rods
and Reels most from Abu Garcia and a few that
I do not know or are familiar with...
So if anyone has ever heard of these or have
experience with them,any info would be greatly
appreciated... Thanks.....
------------------------------------------------

Spinit 6400 Surf Reel rated 12-40lb line

Sears Roebuck & Co. 500 Surf Reel #779

King Neptune #150 Light Saltwater Reel

Orignial Abu Garcia Cardinal 4 // 8-12lb line

Abu Garcia FS200 Graphite Big Water 10' Med/Hvy 1-5oz Surf Rod

Garcia Pro-Spinning Conolon 9' 1-4oz Cork Butt
Surf Rod

Abu Garcia 400 Graphite Composite 7.6" Med. 3/4-2oz Rod

OceanCity DownRigger SteelHead Rod 8.6" Med/Lgt 1/4-3/4oz Rod

·
Registered
772 Posts
I used to have a similar rod to that surf rod. At least it looked like it. I believe it was a 7 footer, but had the same wrappings, and was also blue. (my grip was foam) Unfortunately it broke several years ago. I think the salt finally got to it. It was, however my favorite rod before moving to custom rods. Next to the customs I use now that was my favorite rod ever. I also still have a 10 foot vintage garcia surf rod which is still in use today. Just wait till you use it, if it's anything like mine you'll love using it!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I had (and still have some)Garcia-Mitchell tackle. when I lived in north Jersey their repair facility was located in Fairfield NJ. I would go there and they would have remanufactured reels on a table for next to nothing $5-$10...I still have a 10' AbuGarcia conlon surf rod that sees a lot of use..it has fished from Montauk to Florida...I have also recently come into some old fishing tackle that ws owned by my late uncle who was responsible for getting me and my brothers into fishing...I too was like a kid in a candy shop...old penn reels, bamboo surf rods...all in good working order..many lures and tackle...all look new....I'll never sell em...maybe pass them on to my son or gradnson someday...

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Spinit 6400 is very interesting. It has the automatic bail closure on the reel seat support. That style, I thought, was patented by Daiwa in the early 60's to eliminate the use of bail springs. I used to carry replacement springs for my various Penns in those days and when Daiwa came out with that style I bought several. Never saw an Abu with it. I still have 2 Cardinals I use for smallmouth & walleyes up north.
The older tackle is fun to see and even use with care. My only caveat is the early graphite rods did not have adequate UV inhibitors in the glue/resins, so prolonged sun exposure, ie. sitting in your car with heat buildup, can have a very negative effect on your fishing experience. :eek: I found that out after an old surf rod exploded on the first cast. I thought it was suffering from closet rot. :confused:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Strikes I have 2 words for you "E" "Bay"! I sold an old Cardinal 4 for $90 bucks to some guy in Japan. It was the green & white reel. I know you're not gonna sell that stuff since it was a gift. So when we hit the surf we'll call you "Throw Back Steve". Maybe you can find a Richie Allen T-Shirt to wear when using them! lol

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple more:

Old Ocean City Reel

Sears Ted William Push Button Reel

Never Used PENN PEER #209 & PENN Long Beach #60

Old Wooden Handle Rods

Mitchell Saltwater #302 & Unknown Reel

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I hoped you picked his brain at least :D

I would do what Bruce said and try Japan.

BTW, who is Lou Rodia??? Never heard of him

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
So when we hit the surf we'll call you "Throw Back Steve". lol
I Like It, Retro Surf Fishermen,,Maybe
I can pull one of those Beast Stripers
From The 70's out of the wash on this
stuff... :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
I hoped you picked his brain at least :D

BTW, who is Lou Rodia??? Never heard of him
Ron, You Know It, Any Time I Get A Chance
To Learn Something from the Days of Old,I do.. ;)

Lou Rodia?,He's A Big Time Fishermen along with
his Son & OutDoor Writer..Mostly Concentrated down
is Southern CapeMay Co..Met Them over two decades
ago when I lived in CapeMay & Wildwood.They use
to have a B&T outside of WW in RioGrande,Not
Sure If they still do...Really Great People...

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
No Lou was the writer, did have a small tackle shop in court house,not for very long. His brother Joe, deceased, son Joe, deceased, with wife Audrey had & still have a tackle shop in Rio Grande owned & operated by Audrey. Also had another brother Vince, deceased, who was an avid outdoorsman & built & ran the building in Whitesboro that is now, I think, K's furniture. They were a unique family. Ron

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'll tell you one thing, I've used the almost exact Penn Peer #209 as well as the Long Beach #60 and never had a problem what so ever with it. Unless of course you are not familiar with using it. They are durable and will get the job done. I, personally, would hold on to those reels.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have a Penn 209 that I found in a vacant lot several years ago...it was mounted on an old rotted wooden handled rod and had been there for sometime...I took it home, cleaned it, replaced the drag washers and oiled it up and I still use it today...works fine..great reel...

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I would hold on to all of it and keep it as collectors items! Most of it looks in great shape if not new with boxes! Who knows your grandkids could get rich off that stuff some day!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts