BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NJ REGULATIONS ON 7 SPECIES....

FLOUNDER / 14 INCHES 8 FISH PER DAY - NO SEASON(S)

WINTER FLOUNDER / 10 INCHES -NO LIMIT- OPEN MARCH 1 TO MAY 31 AND SEPT. 15 TO DEC. 31

WEAKFISH / 14 INCHES 14 FISH PER DAY -NO SEASON(S)

TAUTOG / 12 INCHES -NO LIMIT- NO SEASON(S)

PORGY / 7 INCHES -N0 LIMIT- NO SEASON(S)

SEA BASS / NOT EVEN LISTED -- ANYTHING GOES - NO LIMITS/SEASONS WHATSOEVER

:)THE YEAR WAS 1996 !!:)

Honorable mention --
BLUEFISH 10 FISH PER DAY IN 1996 -- LAST COUPLE YEARS = 15 FISH PER DAY -THE ONLY INCREASE!:confused:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
wait till ya see whats about to happen to the striped bass regs..by 2015 no less 1 fish 28 to 32.

·
Registered
137 Posts
wait till ya see whats about to happen to the striped bass regs..by 2015 no less 1 fish 28 to 32.
What? Is this prediction. Think positive Bob! However it wasn't that
long ago we had a slot fish from 24 to 28 and one over 28... I could
see that coming back?...

I didn't look at the estimated numbers from last year, but it wasn't our
waters that did damage to the Bass species in 2013...

There is always perch fishing :confused:

·
Registered
62,417 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A total lack of planning that allowed juvenile fish to kept and then sent most of those species crashing was the days? I think not
Thats funny - Keeping 'juvenile' fish - a term for recreational anglers i guess??,,,,BUT - For commercial boats -NO Mention of 'JUVENILE' Fish..So - You think IT's OK for the commercial industry to net millions of' 'juvenile'-(LEGAL SIZE for anglers-per angler regs posted- fish and of course THEY had Nothing to do with 'crashing' various species --Even STILL Today -- Commercial regs. for FLOUNDER --14 inches !! OK for them ?? BUT - Not for US ??
Who CRASHED-is Still Crashing - various species ?? You should loook up the minimum sizes for Commercial Boats for various species !!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
NJ REGULATIONS ON 7 SPECIES....

FLOUNDER / 14 INCHES 8 FISH PER DAY - NO SEASON(S)

Honorable mention --
BLUEFISH 10 FISH PER DAY IN 1996 -- LAST COUPLE YEARS = 15 FISH PER DAY -THE ONLY INCREASE!:confused:
I'm just soooo freaken happy that the flounder (fluke) fishery has rebounded.
So why don't we see an increase in recreational limits?
Go follow the money:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I remember going to the meeting back then. We were told that summer flounder will breed by the time they reach 14 inches and all they want is for flounder to have a chance to spawn at least once. Then everything will be fine with the numbers and we won't have any problems. Now it's like they spin the wheel and throw the dart to find the regs for the new season.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes - YOU are SO RIGHT. I remember back-then it was dificult to catch KEEPERS at 13 - 14 inches ,,with most flounder around 10 to 12 inches,,,and NOT that many of those. Last couple years -- TONS of TB's at 17 inches !!
TONS of Sea Bass are being Trapped in cages that only allow fish less than 13 inches to escape - for the most part the majority of keepers are being trapped on there way inshore from the canyons-ny the commercial boats!. Even so -- TONS+TONS of 12 inch Sea Bass are abundant - back in the late 80's - 90's - the majority of the ones caught by us anglers averaged between 8 and 10 inches -- ALL keepers back then. 12 inch sea bass -back then- were 'pool' fish!! Researchers applying 'WEIRD SCIENCE' TODAY! ($$$$) from big business-with fleets of commercial boats...$$$ always Talks the LOUDEST !!

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
They find it easier to take it away from us and when the numbers are back up they still take away even more.

·
Registered
137 Posts
First off - Really cool piece of archive/paper! You are the only one I know that would
still have this stored away ready for discussion.

Second - I think the only other numbers on there that are still in use, other than the striper regs.,
is the number to get a hold of Scott's Bait and tackle!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
- You think IT's OK for the commercial industry to net millions of' 'juvenile'-(LEGAL SIZE for anglers-per angler regs posted- fish and of course THEY had Nothing to do with 'crashing' various species --Even STILL Today -- Commercial regs. for FLOUNDER --14 inches !! OK for them ?? BUT - Not for US ??

Your logic that if someone else rapes and pillages the resources and juveniles you should be able to do it also is unsound in my opinion :nuts:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yes - YOU are SO RIGHT. I remember back-then it was dificult to catch KEEPERS at 13 - 14 inches ,,with most flounder around 10 to 12 inches,,,and NOT that many of those. Last couple years -- TONS of TB's at 17 inches !!
TONS of Sea Bass are being Trapped in cages that only allow fish less than 13 inches to escape - for the most part the majority of keepers are being trapped on there way inshore from the canyons-ny the commercial boats!. Even so -- TONS+TONS of 12 inch Sea Bass are abundant - back in the late 80's - 90's - the majority of the ones caught by us anglers averaged between 8 and 10 inches -- ALL keepers back then. 12 inch sea bass -back then- were 'pool' fish!! Researchers applying 'WEIRD SCIENCE' TODAY! ($$$$) from big business-with fleets of commercial boats...$$$ always Talks the LOUDEST !!
So your staying that sea bass migrate east to west. And that you don't see sea bass over 12inches inshore because there all caught offshore?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your logic that if someone else rapes and pillages the resources and juveniles you should be able to do it also is unsound in my opinion :nuts:
NOT What i'm saying. I am talking about LEGAL sizes as allowed per LAW -- 'someone' mentioned that 12 inch fluke were juvenile fish - but LEGAL size -- for Commercial boats back then and the rec.anglers. Today the commercial boats are allowed to keep 'JUVENILE fish' at 14 inches , but rec.anglers are not. "PILLAGING" is allowing the taking of undersize,out-of-season,past daily quotas! Bottom line is the commercial boats are ALLOWED -by law- to Harvest 'JUVENILE' fish (at 14 inches) but rec.anglers it is 18 inches. I never said anything about 'if its ok for the other guy why not me...' It's the term JUVENILE.. for rec.anglers only - but NO such term for Commercial boats...regardless of Legal size limits. We shouldn't be known as the guys who kill 'Juvenile' Fish. As a side note - most recent studies -so sure funded by the commercial sector- determined that MOST flounder spawn at there highest rate at 13 to 14 inches. 'Dirty,oversexed,teenagers' !!

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
unlike the recreational guys the commercial catch is by quarter AND when the total allocation is met for a Quarter the Quarter is CLOSED except for 100 lbs of by-catch until next quarter.
Given the recreational size limits we are killing the females ,I have only had ONE male fluke over 18" in 4 years
The problem is lousy forecasting followed by sleeping NJ politicians who let New York take a big hunk of the NJ allocation....fluke migration is slightly north every year,NEW YORK on average always has the largest fluke ....so what do the Feds do LOWER NY to 18" and RAISE NJ to 18" ..NY has overfished their alloment 4 of last 5 years ...... AND will again this year BUT due to regionalization it will have a serious impact on NJ in 2015
Oh,, our politicians wrote a letter to NOAA objecting BUT GUESS WHAT the letter went out AFTER everything was passed
Great job looking out for NJ fishermen

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unlike the recreational guys the commercial catch is by quarter AND when the total allocation is met for a Quarter the Quarter is CLOSED except for 100 lbs of by-catch until next quarter.
Given the recreational size limits we are killing the females ,I have only had ONE male fluke over 18" in 4 years
The problem is lousy forecasting followed by sleeping NJ politicians who let New York take a big hunk of the NJ allocation....fluke migration is slightly north every year,NEW YORK on average always has the largest fluke ....so what do the Feds do LOWER NY to 18" and RAISE NJ to 18" ..NY has overfished their alloment 4 of last 5 years ...... AND will again this year BUT due to regionalization it will have a serious impact on NJ in 2015
Oh,, our politicians wrote a letter to NOAA objecting BUT GUESS WHAT the letter went out AFTER everything was passed
Great job looking out for NJ fishermen
BIG (commercial fishing boat fleets) BUSINESS = BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...............$ TALKS !!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts