BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
probably one of the biggest cockpits on a 30' Express out there, nice looking boats as well. Everyone is afraid of them since they were part of the balsa cored hull construction in the 80's and 90's. If you can find one with good Cummins power you can use the Balsa core to your advantage to get a great price. But most definitely get the hull checked for moisture leaks , find the best guy that you can who specializes on checking them. If it's dry you can get into a boat you might not be able to afford otherwise, I fished on a 30 and on a 26 with twin ob's a lot in the early 90's when we had sold our 28 Topaz, doing the family thing as well. Take a look at the Shamrock 31 as well, same construction, both boats are very economical, fast and have a decent ride, they drift really well, we used to take the 30 out shark fishing in the late afternoons as everyone else was coming in we were going out. We only fished weekends back then, so to many chumslicks to compete with, once we did it like a canyon trip we had great success from the first trip on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
fished the 30 blackwatch many times, it had twin yanmars, great ride and drift, again as ron stated needs to inspected by a good surveyor, a friend owns one had it for about 8 years now, maybe troll mates will chime in here. but huge cockpit was great on fuel,

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Spent a lot of time on hull #6 or 7.

She had Isuzu diesels, I don't think you will see that many with that power option but damn was that boat a miser on fuel. Had to be THE most economical rig in its size range.

As said above, large cockpit, decent ride. Owners moved up to a 36 Blackfin and regret selling that boat to this day

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
The balsa cored hull did exactly what they were looking for, as you see in the replies. You got much better economy and better speed with less HP, I always wondered what % of the boats built actually had water problems, issues like that while extremely bad if you have them, they get blown way out of proportion as far as how many were bad. Most of them that had problems were from owners adding options and not sealing them correctly. Rampage was another boat along with Shamrock and Blackwatch that used that type of build and I liked their boats as well. they aren't going to ride like one of the deep V Heavyweights like Blackfin , Albemarle, etc, but they were nice boats.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have canyon fishing one for the past 8 years with no complaints. Boat is powered with twin 300 Yanmars. Great on fuel and is a lot of boat for a 30 footer. To many good to say so feel free to contact me if you want to talk about it more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts