BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading this year. I have 2 gen 1 Lowrance hds 8 I want to go better. I like the nss12 by simrad and Raytheon makes a few nice ones also what's my better options then a Lowrance?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
Prime...Upgrading all electronics this year. Spent a day at the AC show and in the end went with Simrad based on installers advice and what I have read. Went with the NSS12 with a NSS7 as back-up. The Nss-7 also has the sounder module so a nice back-up with little extra cost

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I am also upgrading this season and I am between the Sim NSS12 and RM E127. I may go with an NSS8 and 4G radar and wait till next year for the prices to drop and for the glitches to be fixed on the new NSS12 Evo2.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
In some cases, there is not any difference between Lowrance and Simrad as they are both Navico units. For example, the BSM-1 sounder module for the NSE-12 is exactly the same sounder that is built in to the HDS-10 Gen 2 unit.

·
Registered
691 Posts
In some cases, there is not any difference between Lowrance and Simrad as they are both Navico units. For example, the BSM-1 sounder module for the NSE-12 is exactly the same sounder that is built in to the HDS-10 Gen 2 unit.
True but the internals of the Simrads show better definition on Navionics cards then my HDS 10 Gen 2 does for whatever reason???????

No matter what you are going to get much better bathymetry with SIMRAD and GARMIN.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Bobby, we have the NSE12 for all the navigation bits, 4g radar, AP, AIS, weather, etc. We have a dedicated Furuno FCV 295 sounder and a completely redundant Garmin 4208 as a backup. The power of the Simrad NSE units is pretty darn impressive! Unless you are going to spend big $$$$ for the TzT touch and go all furuno, I am not sure for how we fish there is a better system.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bobby, we have the NSE12 for all the navigation bits, 4g radar, AP, AIS, weather, etc. We have a dedicated Furuno FCV 295 sounder and a completely redundant Garmin 4208 as a backup. The power of the Simrad NSE units is pretty darn impressive! Unless you are going to spend big $$$$ for the TzT touch and go all furuno, I am not sure for how we fish there is a better system.
yea that's what I thought. I was also looking at Garmin 12" touch screen yesterday really nice also Thanks for the feed back guys

·
Registered
248 Posts
Updated last season to the NSS12 w the Nss7 as the back up just as BrielleK said Just an awesome set up Very Happy

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
yea that's what I thought. I was also looking at Garmin 12" touch screen yesterday really nice also Thanks for the feed back guys
Well here, i'll give you an idea of what someone with the SAME boat as you runs:

Down below:
NavNet3d MFD8 (We recently sold our old enclosure to a guy who said he got the 12" to fit, but with modification to the dash)
Dff1 Network Sounder
B260 Transducer 1kw
Furuno FCV582L as a backup sounder with a 600w shoot thru (we leave this on when running, turn it off and flip the 1kw on when fishing)
AirMar SmartSensor Transducer that pipes water temp to the NavNet and the NavNet relays it to:

Up top:
Garmin 7 series touch plotter receiving water temp and depth from the NavNet via SmartSensor

The only thing left to upgrade is our radar.
We run a Simrad Robertson AP top and bottom.

You cannot go wrong with Simrad or Garmin. I will say the Garmin is a breeze to use.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
How is Garmins sounder abilities? I am looking to upgrade to an all in one package (Radar,Sounder,Plotter,AutoPilot). I currently have a tiny Garmin on the boat and want something larger. I plan on using the old Garmin as a backup. I have been looking at the NSS8,NSS12,and the RM E127. The Raymarine seems to have lot of bells and whistles but everybody tells me to go Simrad. Are the Simrads really that bullet proof?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
How is Garmins sounder abilities? I am looking to upgrade to an all in one package (Radar,Sounder,Plotter,AutoPilot). I currently have a tiny Garmin on the boat and want something larger. I plan on using the old Garmin as a backup. I have been looking at the NSS8,NSS12,and the RM E127. The Raymarine seems to have lot of bells and whistles but everybody tells me to go Simrad. Are the Simrads really that bullet proof?
Dude you're over thinking this. Just make a decision. I personally am fine with:

Simrad
Furuno
Garmin

Furuno is VERY expensive but makes probably the most ridiculous stuff in terms of capability. They make high end commercial stuff.

Simrad and Garmin are pretty much the same.

All 3 companies make a CHIRP network unit
All 3 companies make a 1kw capable network unit

Furuno has accu fish and bottom discrimination technology but it supposedly sucks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Lowrance and Simrad many of there parts such as radar antennas are built by other vendors such as standard horizon. Furuno makes all their own stuff. Parts for Furuno are expensive but you can get them. This may not matter if you are switching out systems every two years. BUT if you intend to keep the units longer I would stay with Furuno they support their products longer parts and refurbishment wise. Simrad and Lowrance are terrible after three years. I have a $9000 Open array Lowrance system from 2010 that Lowrance discontinued supporting. That means they put all the spare parts in a rocket ship and blast them off into the sun. They wouldn't even give me a trade in allowance. I wouldn't take a Lowrance unit if it came in a box of cracker jacks. Great units but lack support after only three years no thank you. Glad Furuno came out with Chirp.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
How is Furuno's cartography? Do you need a blackbox for Furuno units? I am trying to get a nice system (Radar,MFD,Sonar) for around $5k or less. I will fish the NJ canyons about 3-4 a season but majority of the time I will be within 40 miles of land.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
How is Furuno's cartography? Do you need a blackbox for Furuno units? I am trying to get a nice system (Radar,MFD,Sonar) for around $5k or less. I will fish the NJ canyons about 3-4 a season but majority of the time I will be within 40 miles of land.
You'd have a better chance finding beach front property in Arizona than a Furuno system for under $5k.

MFD 8 + DFF1 is like $3.5k alone.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Here's my two cents just in regards to cartography... Garmin has their own charts, you cannot use Navionics or C-Map with Garmin plotters. The detail in the canyon on the Garmin Blue Charts is good, for midshore it lacks the extreme detail that you get with Navionics. Both Furuno and Simrad can use Navionics cards. I have a Garmin plotter, Furuno radar and sounder. If I was going to do it over again I'd go Simrad for radar and plotter. The 4g and 3g Simrad radar is amazing.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My mind is now set and I am going Simrad.

Nss8
4G Radar
B164 Ducer

Nss12 Evo2
Sidescan/DownImaging Ducers
AutoPilot
(Keep Nss8 for redundancy)

I will start calling some installers today :D

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Simrad buddy.

We run Furuno NavNet 3D. If I could go back and do it over I'd have gone Simrad.
Same here, don't get me wrong I like the navnet 3d, but after playing around with my buddy's simrad units they are way easier to use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts