BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking......I've had better, fatter and bigger fish and more limits, but my # of throwbacks has dropped substantially. Last year this time, 40-75 throwbacks a trip - and I fish solo most of the time. This year more 20-40 fish days with quicker limits of decent fish......Anyone else like this so far this flounder season? Why the trend? Thoughts?

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS. I AM SURE SOME GUYS HAVE HAD SUCSESS BUT IF GUYS WERE HONEST I WOULD BET 90 PERCENT OF GUYS HAVE NOT EVEN HAD 1 LIMIT OF LEGAL KEEPERS THIS YEAR. I WILL CONTINUE TO SAY THE STRIPERS HAVE DEPLETED THE FLOUNDER AND WEAKFISH POPULATION. IN THE FALL RUN OPEN THE BELLY OF THE STRIPER YOU CATCH AND IT WILL BE FULL OF SMALL FLOUNDER.EVERTHING GOES IN CYCLES. 5 YEARS AGO FLOUNDER AND WEAKS WERE PLENTIFULL AND STRIPER AND DRUM WERE NOT. TODAY ITS JUST THE OPPOSITE.IN MY OPINION ALL FISH SHOULD HAVE A 5 PER MAN LIMIT TO EQUAL OUT THE FISH POPULATION.
YES 5 STRIPERS A DAY IS A LOT OF MEAT BUT I WOULD GUESS 75% OF FISHERMAN GO ONLY 1 OR 2 TIMES A WEEK. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH. NOT LOOKING FOR ARGUMENTS JUST A DISGUSTED FISHERMAN.THE 1 OR 2 KEEPERS THAT I MAY CATCH AT 16.5 INCHES DONT HAVE ENOUGH MEAT ON THEM TO TAKE HOME.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm not from Jersey, but I am fishing mostly the lower Delaware Bay and I have had the best year ever. Most of the fish I am catching are over 17" and most of them are fat. I have had a few skinny fish this year, and I have caught less over 5 lbs than last year. I only have one this year compared to three at this time last year. I am just starting to see a slowdown in the last few weeks, but that's because my boat is not that big and I usually have to fish the skinny water. The early season night fishing under the lights was nothing short of outstanding. I would really like to see the minimum size moved up to 18" for the entire Delaware Bay.

Oh, and I fished some in OC Maryland the last few weeks and caught my limits down there too. I did feel kinda guilty filleting three 15.5" legal fish because there really is not that much meat on them. If I fish MD again, I'm not keeping anything under 17"

[ 07-05-2006, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: WhiteBucket ]

·
Registered
312 Posts
phish4fun has an interesting comment. In fact, there's probably some truth to it.

I was fishing at Great Bay about a month ago. Was drifting the mouth of Sheepshead Creek where it dumps into Barnegat Bay. After I released a 25" striper, I was doing another drift along the sod bank when I noticed a fish jump out of the water and onto the bank. I brought up my rig, turned the boat around and ran over. Using my net, I scooped the critter off the land. Turns out that it was a little weakfish; about 6-8 inches long. He/she probably was trying to get away from the striper(s) that were biting along the sod bank where I had been fishing.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
376 fluke and 81 legal fish,not my best year yet but could be with a good late summer bite
last year ratio was 13-1 so legal fish ration much better but legal fish are a little skinny as compared to past years
331 of the 376 are out there swimming around with a tag on it

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Best flounder fishing I ever had keeper wise. 8 fish over 5 lbs, many many more 3 to 4 lb fish. In previous years I have caught enough flounder to have a good meal for me and the wife and give a few fillets to the in-laws. This year the vaccum sealer is about worn out. And the throwbacks have been fairly consistent. Fishing solely the back bays of Brigantine and AC, have had only one trip out of ten where I had zero keepers, and have 4 keepers on 3 trips.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Haven't been out much. The engine I bought for my boat has been overheating is at Avalon Point so they can find problem. When out with friends boat have caught 2 small ones. Its not a good season for me yet.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I agree with phish4fun. In the 25 years or so of fishing the same waters I can say with a very heavy heart I have not caught a keeper fluke yet. It is unbelievable. The weather on my days off suck and I have not fished more than 1 day a week. I used to do 2-3 days but with new job I get no Vacation this year.
Very very disapointed.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
all i have to say is it has been good to me .just a guess hear but i got maybe 150 fluke with half being keepers and most of the keepers were over 20 inches.the gulp has really come through for me this year.or maybe it is just luck ;) good fishin ,matt

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I was out twice last week. 3 keepers the first and 4 the next. I was going to post this same thing as I was curious to what others were doing. Im no great fluke fisherman. I go more for relaxing and am happy with a few for the table.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was out in my kayak last friday and only had one keeper in about 30 or so fish, all was close like 16" but the only keeper I had was only 19". The same area in the past 6 years gave me at least 4 or more keepers. Every year I had quite a few 5 lbs. and up,this year none. I thought I was having a bad day but everone I talk to was about the same.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree with phish4fun & flukin nuts, it sucks big time compaired to say 2002 year and back when I would catch at least 4 or 5 nice size fluke each trip out, backwaterways or d-bay south. I remember 7 or 8 years ago and back going right out front of the coast guard base and mugging up on flonder within a mile or so of the beach. Not any more, today you will get junkfish and throwback postage stamp flounder. Another area that used to be very good for years and has since died was off of the old admiral hotel cm beachfrond and the 20 minute slough out in the ocean, the older timers reading this will remember and nod thier heads remerbering.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
been slow for me
better keeper ratio than in the past
fish are skinny

·
Banned
426 Posts
Between the weather, and other obligations, it has sucked this year...three keepers so far.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
We have been having some good action averaging 8-10 keepers a trip with maybe 30 or so throwbacks. Prior years we caught alot more throwbacks, I'm not complaining, just wish the w*ind would stop blowing so we could get a full day of good drifting conditions. Also have noticed the water has been really clean this year. No doubt the Gulp baits have proven themselves and made a believer out of me..

·
Registered
346 Posts
SUCKS! I don't fish the back, but I've been out 4 times for flounder and brouhgt home 7 keepers. Seems like we have to run 20 miles to find any at all..I remember filling up the cooler 2 miles from the inlet. What is going on?
60 ft slough, 20 ft slough, bayshore channel have no fish anymore.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The big fish are filtering out of the back but theres still plenty of time offshore and in the back(smaller fish) during July/Aug/Sept

1 - 20 of 31 Posts