BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welp.. there go all the rest of the good surf breaks!! :huh:
Several things come to mind. One is the opportunity to fish from them. Two is why are they spending hundreds of millions filling in the beaches now. And would they continue to do so.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
welp.. there go all the rest of the good surf breaks!! :huh:
Maybe...or maybe the good surf spots will move offshore and be harder for kooks to get to them!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. According to the article the islands would cost between $10 billion and $12 billion to build. NJ has $60 billion left in Sandy recovery money. If they wanted to build the islands they have the money to do so right now.

Would the islands prevent the fish from coming inshore? Or would the islands keep the fish in closer?

Is there a guarantee that the islands would prevent storm surge? I am skeptical.

What I like about the article is that people are looking for alternate ways of storm protection. Sand pumping does not work. It is like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

I think the cheapest most effective option is still to build dunes. No reason to reinvent the wheel when it comes to storm protection.

I would be against the plan because it takes my federal dollars and redistributes those dollars to another state for the benefit of that state to produce revenue.

NJ would have to start upholding the public trust doctrine for me to be for the plan. If I am going to pay for NJ to be "stronger than the storm" then I want free beaches, free parking and easy access to the beach that I paid for.

·
Registered
624 Posts
yea so we can protect barrier islands that people should never had built on in the first place
exactly. there is no such thing as storm protection. what you place at the edge of the sea will not be there forever. it just wont. although I live on a barrier island the best plan is to not allow houses close to the water front. that is the only way to not have to spend $$$ to replace, protect, prevent etc.

·
Registered
720 Posts
There was no mention of the potential economic consequences from doing this. There are people out there that would most likely take their vacation spending elsewhere if the ocean is turned into a bay...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just what we need new real estate for the shore. Realtors would be licking their chops

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Pie in the sky.........put my share of the money in my income tax refund.:thumbsdown::rolleyes:

·
Registered
879 Posts
Something like that would have such a negative effect on the rec fishing industry, tourism, and so many others that its hard to believe its even remotely feasable.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I like the fact that they are atleast thinking of new ideas. These artifical islands shouldnt require sand pumping like the article says. That would make them no better than our artifical beaches we have now. I'm not an expert by any means... With that said who actually knows that an island that far out would turn the oceanfront into a bay? The depth and bottom structure of the ocean is much different from our bays. I'm not saying it wouldnt happen, I just would need some sort of facts on the environmental impact and the waves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts