BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey a guy was telling me he is hearing of guys landing big threshers in the surf.. anyone know where and what type of rigs and bait are used would have to be whole macks or whole filets i'm guessing.... anyone hear of this or was he bsing me.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Philly I can't help you on the rigs and stuff. I would imagine 4ft steel leader with whole fish and big hook.

Definitely no BS, a couple of guys just caught a thresher almost 400lbs less than a mile from the jetty by boat, they towed it back and it took seven guys to get it out of the water and in the truck. Another guy caught a 6ft thresher right out of the surf last year or two, many many more within 3 miles in the past few weeks. On top of all that I think I seen one 500 yards off the beach feeding on a school of bunker, of course too far away as usual down here in CM to ever reach with a cast, like every other school of bunker moving along the beach just teasing us, (it could of been another type of shark, but I'm pretty sure I seen the tail).

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
From Dock Fishing Reports Seaside Hghts...

Jul 07, 200602:00 amSince the last update we've had some nice fish weighed in. Mark Brancaccio brought in a 31.8 lb. bass caught in SSH with bunker. Ellen Bloking had a 25.15 lb. bass caught in SSP with bunker. Barbara Franta weighed in a 29.65 lb. bass caught in SSP with bunker, and Tom Franta had a 24.8 lb. bass caught in SSP, also on bunker. Barbara and Tom also caught a 90 lb. thresher shark! John Novak weighed in a 57.85 lb. black drum caught off IBSP with bunker. Lately the fluke fishing has been great off our fishing pier and out of our boats, and we're seeing a lot of nice fish caught. The crabbing continues to be great. Make sure to stop by for all your bait and tackle needs! Thanks, Tom.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Threshers in the Surf

Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of this month's New Jersey Angler (I believe they're a Barn sponsor, so I hope it's OK to mention them). There's an article in it about fishing for brown sharks in the surf, and there's an illustration of a fish-finder rig for brownies. The methods and suggestions for brownies should work well for threshers, but you may need to upsize the tacke and rigs a bit. One bit of suggestion: make sure you have a reel with at least 300 or 400 yards of line. I don't break it out very often, but I have a heavy-duty surf reel that's spooled with 950 yards of 20 lb. test, and if I were targeting threshers in the surf I would not feel like I was overgunned.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is going back a few weeks, but my buddy and me were fishing at the most south end one evening and caught several 4-5 threshers in the surf.
Had to stop a young couple from going in for a swim.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but are threshers aggressive sharks towards humans? From what I've heard it's their tails that are dangerous as they use it to stun their pray. I haven't heard of any surfers suffering from thresher attacks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
There has been quite a few reports of Threshers being caught around LBI as well as some whales swimming around in the surf. I saw one last weekend just outside of the Barnegat Inlet. Nice sight to see.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Belmo said:
Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of this month's New Jersey Angler (I believe they're a Barn sponsor, so I hope it's OK to mention them). There's an article in it about fishing for brown sharks in the surf, and there's an illustration of a fish-finder rig for brownies. The methods and suggestions for brownies should work well for threshers, but you may need to upsize the tacke and rigs a bit. One bit of suggestion: make sure you have a reel with at least 300 or 400 yards of line. I don't break it out very often, but I have a heavy-duty surf reel that's spooled with 950 yards of 20 lb. test, and if I were targeting threshers in the surf I would not feel like I was overgunned.
Yep Bill Halpin wrote it - great article - I am gonna make a few of his rigs for the overnighter park trips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts