BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna give the inshore thresher trolling a go this summer. Need some input on what type of lures to try. Seen some skirt type lures with planners on them, but not sure if this is what i should be using.

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but wouldn't trolling for threshers result in a lot of tail hooked fish? Don't threshers slash the bait with their tail first to stun it, then circle back to grab the stunned bait?

·
Registered
690 Posts
They were think off IBSP at the end of striper season this year. Caught one that was tail wrapped on a spoon and had 2 other spoons crunched up like tin foil. Also had one on for a bit on a diving plug.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but wouldn't trolling for threshers result in a lot of tail hooked fish? Don't threshers slash the bait with their tail first to stun it, then circle back to grab the stunned bait?
Yes, this is correct. The west coast guys have a problem with this. They ditch the trebles and in lieu of single hooks on their plugs. They do it for strength reasons as well as limiting tail hooks.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I hooked one up once and that was on a livelined bunker...I cant imagine tail hooking one of those things

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Only tried it a few times with Shark plugs baited with mackeral(ones with planer heads and pin for bait rig skirted). Never had a touch on a rig designed to catch sharks while trolling by a thresher. Seems like they will bite anything except the skark rig when trolling. If I ever do it again I would just rig up some large swimming mullets with 4 oz chin weights and hope I dont get torn up by bluefish trolling real slow.

Thats my 2 cents on thresher trolling in NJ.

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Just my own random thoughts... but what about trolling a few teasers without hooks, watching the spread like a hawk, and if you see a tail splash, cut the motor, toss a hooked bait and let it sink (like it was stunned by the threshers tail)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Just my own random thoughts... but what about trolling a few teasers without hooks, watching the spread like a hawk, and if you see a tail splash, cut the motor, toss a hooked bait and let it sink (like it was stunned by the threshers tail)
They apparently like the "fish fender" teasers.

Honestly, like Warden said....not worth it.

It's a REALLY good fishery off NJ these days. I wouldn't waste my time trolling.

15' of 500 lb. Mono
LP Circle hook 16/0 or 18/0
Half a bunker and a whole squid

Find the bait between 3 and 30 miles out. Set up. Hold on.

If you find the bait...they're there. We almost smashed into one running 30 kts. from through a bunker school one day. 3 years ago we had a 250# at the cigar.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I agree with just drift structure or bait at the right time of the year. I use bunker on a mono leader with a skirt/rattle. Chum and hold on. Had one last spring estimate at 400lbs. Biggest shark I have ever seen. Fought it for almost 2hrs. Towed me 4 miles.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Fred Archer is the name you want to google for information on trolling threshers..... While we have never trolled for them of even fished for them....we have done ALOT of mako fishing....This is just my take on it, Its proven that it works...it is a good way to cover some ground.....if you find the bait you will find the sharks right ? All the same components come into play....Temperature + structure usually = bait....add them all together and the sharks should be in the mix. I think we can be more productive not trolling around hoping to get tail slapped by a shark.....we are going to give it an honest bid this year........Ill take mix of temp, structure, bait...a few buckets of chum, a good drift and some properly rigged baits any day over pulling spoons and plugs...I just think our odds are better.

When the right water hits 5fb in june....we will give it an honest look, lots of options in the area....thats the wonderful thing about inshore, everything is not so spread out....find the right area and put some meat in the water.....a much better chance at success than trolling through the right area.

Our plan.....FRESH bait, either caught the night before or that morning....it should not take more than an hour to find the blueish in the back if you know where to look..and you have chum;). .... of course you have back up bait as well......but its all about the bait, thats my job and take it very seriously. If we get some live ones out there even better....no live well, one thing for sure...us and every other sharker from the sea isle/Avalon area will be filling the bait freezer with tailor blues come mid April.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts

I agree. My first thoughts were also to tease them up and throw a bunker at them. The biggest thing is going to be the speed. SLOWWWWW speed vs a faster speed when looking for Mako.

Its not as popular as trolling Mako out West, so this has to tell us something. The boys out west think we are crazy for drifting Mako, they only know trolling for the most part and they have stopped trolling for thresher.

Unless your on a personal mission to catch one trolling, I think your much better off tossing some live bait at them after maybe teasing them up. Good luck, I am interested to see how you make out.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have 2 of those shark trolling lures and have never caught anything on them. Not even a Bluefish. Granted I usually just troll them back through my slick at end of day while I get the cockpit cleaned up.

My goal for 2011 was to catch not only my 1st Thresher but to catch it within site of land.

I went off to the reefs twice with Threshers in mind, set up a bunker oil slick. No standard chum slick. I set 1 dedicated shark line out with either a fresh dead bunker or frozen mackeral on a standard single strand wire shark rig and then worked a line dedicated to fluke. If I wasn't fishing solo I would have had atleast 2 shark lines out. I had 4 confirmed Thresher hits that I could see and brought 2 boatside around 300lbs.

Unless you are working a bunker school, I don't think a live bunker is necessary (though live bait is always a better thing). I think just setting up over some structure when conditions are right and putting out a slick are the biggest keys. I heard many stories of threshers eating fluke that are being reeled up. So my thought was if a fluked, I would be bringing "live bait" up from the bottom (covering all depths) through out my drift (as well as keep me entertained) and if a shark followed they would she the shark line up in the slick. Whether it was dumb luck or the theory worked, it worked for me this year. Next year I will target them again, maybe even make a trip to the reefs like I do with my traditional shark trips.

Ironically, only 1 of the 4 confirmed Thresher hits, used their tail to hit the bait first that I could tell. Two of them I watched hit with the tip of their tail out of the water. Nothing cooler than seeing a 300lb Thresher greyhound out of the water between you and the boat only drifting Fluke next to you. Can't wait to try this again in June!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We must be fishing in the wrong places.. lol. We fish out of Absecon inlet, and have tried from the beach, out to the AC Reef, and then some. All we ever got was Dogfish. Had 1 good runoff one time, and of course it was on a smaller boat pole. Never saw what it was. had it rigged for bluefish, since that's what was around there at the time. Had the 3 pole set-up out in the slick, and one with a live small bluefish. Dam thing hit the small boat pole with a piece of bunker on it. All i know is that 320gti never screamed like that before.. lol

·
Registered
423 Posts
As others have said I wouldn't waste time trolling. Find some inshore structures, put out a bucket of bunker chum and throw out a couple of live bunkers at different depths. You can snag before you head out.

We hooked the fish below less than 3 miles from the beach in about a half hour after setting up. We also saw at least two more fish on the surface while fighting this one. A heavy pole is a must as this one took us four hours to land and that could have been cut shorter with some heavier equipment.

View attachment 53174

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
We must be fishing in the wrong places.. lol. We fish out of Absecon inlet, and have tried from the beach, out to the AC Reef, and then some. All we ever got was Dogfish. Had 1 good runoff one time, and of course it was on a smaller boat pole. Never saw what it was. had it rigged for bluefish, since that's what was around there at the time. Had the 3 pole set-up out in the slick, and one with a live small bluefish. Dam thing hit the small boat pole with a piece of bunker on it. All i know is that 320gti never screamed like that before.. lol
Don't get hooked on the "in-sight" of land thing. The bait isn't always in-sight of land. You need to find the bait and that's where they'll be.

Look for the "red fuzz" (as a well known comm shark fisherman put it) on the screen. Once you find that, they won't be far behind.

They also like to feed shallow in the water column. A lot of guys have issues with the doggies down deeper. You can keep all your lines just out of sight from the boat and you will probably have good success.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts