BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of dealing with the transom mounted transducer on my Whaler. Can I install a thru-hull ducer in this type of boat considering the foam design? BW tells me there is a 'putty box' located in the hull just to mount this. I can't find where it is located. Any Whaler owners have any input here? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Kevin
Good seeing you at the AC boat show...
There are 2 types of tru-hull transducers.
1) installs in a box & shoots a signal thru your hull. The box is usually filled with mineral oil & the transduced is also sits in the box.
I don't think that this will work on your boat. Your boat is a double hull with foam & this blocks the transducer signal. I had this type installed on The Albemarle.
2) A true thru hull transducer is cut into the hull & then is epoxied into place. This would work on your boat. I've got this installed on the Steiger Craft.

Either one displays less interference when running at full throttle & you don't have to worry about hitting something with the transducer.
I thought that option 2 gives a better signal, but this is more expensive to replace if your transducer ever goes bad.

Hope this helps!
George

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is the foam design of BW. Only 2 places to core a thru hull transducer in the 'putty boxes' and the locations are not in a good spot. I have my raw water washdown intake on the port side and it sucks air every time the boat rocks. The location is on the outermost chine rather than down towards the center lower portion of the hull. Same location on starboard side where I would have to mount thru hull transducer. I'm afraid that I'd get an errant reading so close to the outer edge of the hull. Can't just mount it anywhere due to foam construction. Whaler tech just wrote me back and agreed that the locations are not ideal spots for either. Stupid design.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hey Rage,
If you look at the Airmar website which manufactures all if not most of the transducers, they show how to install a through hull tranducer in a cored boat. Basically you drill an over size hole through the core, then glass back to cover the core around the correct hole size for the transducer. I'm sure EDD, or Martek or any of the other Electronics guys can guide you through it. This way, if you do have access to the inside lower in the hull, you can put it there. By the way, do yourself the favor and get the tilted element transducer, this way you won't have a lousy fairing block.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
That is for boats with 1/2 inch foam between two layers of glass. The whaler is foam filled and unless in the bildge area you have a single layer of glass nether will work. I had a montauk for 30 years and no where on the boat could you mounta transducer but on the back.

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is for boats with 1/2 inch foam between two layers of glass. The whaler is foam filled and unless in the bildge area you have a single layer of glass nether will work. I had a montauk for 30 years and no where on the boat could you mounta transducer but on the back.
Exactly what Whaler tech guy old me today. I guess I need to talk to Airmar to see if they have a better designed transom mount. Mine keeps breaking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have installed a few thru hull transducers on BWs with excellent results...send me an email i will help
sounds like you know how to install transducers on BostonWhalers... could you please give me your thoughts on how I can install through hull Raymarine RV220 transducer pair. I have an existing single transducer forward of the raw water intake on the port side. There is a space between the first rib (or step) and raw water position that appears to be enough room to put these 12” units in on both port and starboard. The hull in this area which on the outside seems smooth seems to step up by an inch in thickness (when looking inside the access panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts