BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new boat and am in the process of putting on all of the electronics. One question that I have is what are the benefits/downfalls of thru hull vs transom mount transducer? I have a friend who is going to give me a Lowrance (not sure of the model) depth sounder that has a thru hull transducer and I am not sure if that is what I want to go with....the price is right but I have no experience with the thru hull. Next question, are transducers interchangeable? Could I use a transom mount transducer or are they specific to the model of the depth sounder?

Your expertise is much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You will have to get a Lowrance transducer for the Lowrance unit.. Transom or Thru Hull depends upon type of boat as to where to mount the transducer..Outboards and most I/O's are capable of using a transom transducer, while an inboard or larger size boat will need a thru hull for performance. There are a lot of transducer choices, take your time and do your homework as most of all sounder problems are caused by improper tranducer locations or just the wrong style transducer for the boat it is being used on. Don't hesitate to call the manufacturer's help line, many are toll free and they can recommend correct one.. Good luck.. Fishcaptn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.