BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to purchase a new plugging rod, and have narrowed it down to the Tica dolphin 9'. The rod comes in 3/4 to 3oz. or 2 to 6oz. The 2 to 6 is obviously stiffer, and I'm wondering if that would be better for working plugs. The 3/4 to 3oz version is has more action throughout the entire rod, with a fast taper. Just looking for some opinions for which one would be better for working plugs..Thanks:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 3/4-3 is great for plugs up to 2oz 2.5oz is max
The 2-6 is good for 1.5oz to 4oz

The 2-6 will not throw the light stuff very well like bombers or redfins.

I would only choose the 2-6 for throwing heavy stuff in an inlet or from a jetty. The 3/4-3 is great from the beach

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
fishpro28 said:
I would like to purchase a new plugging rod, and have narrowed it down to the Tica dolphin 9'. The rod comes in 3/4 to 3oz. or 2 to 6oz. The 2 to 6 is obviously stiffer, and I'm wondering if that would be better for working plugs. The 3/4 to 3oz version is has more action throughout the entire rod, with a fast taper. Just looking for some opinions for which one would be better for working plugs..Thanks:)
I have both rods. I use the 2 - 6 oz. rod for a light bait pole mostly with 2 or 3 oz. sinkers with a Shimano 4500 baitrunner reel. I have two of them. One with 14# mono the other with 20# braid. With a 2 oz. sinker, the setup with braid will cast half way to Spain.

The 3/4 - 3oz is better for bucktails and plugs to 2.5 oz. I now use the Dolphin one piece 8' with an Quantum Cabo as my favorite jig/pluggin rod. The two piece 9' is easier to transport but I seem to last longer casting the shorter 8'.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Yo Bro My brother uses a 2-6 for everything!He has the tsunami and was throwin bombers with it last fall.He loves it!He was also throwin 6 + bait with the same pole last fall.I know on pole don't do it all but I think the 2-6 is as close as you'll come to an all around.:D

FC:D

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Buy it and you'll be very satisfyied. How often do you throw more than 2.5 oz plug. Me barley ever. Great all aroun pluggin stick as it will cover 1/2oz bucktails to larger swimmers. I have the 8ftr 1 piece 3/4-3 and I love it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought the lighter 9' Dolphin last summer. I love it for plugging. I have used it for up to 2.5 oz plugs. I tried a 3 oz bucktail on it (just for a test) and it was extremely hard to cast.

I limit the plugs to light 2.5 ouncers since then (2.2-2.3 oz).

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
From reading the replies, I guess you can tell that it all depends on what type of plugging you plan on doing. I use the Tica 2-6 for fishing jetties for several reasons; I can throw heavier plugs - especially into a nor'east wind; heavier bucktails are not a problem; and I can throw light stuff like bombers since I'm not trying to cast real far from the rocks. I use an 8' Tica for plugging with lighter stuff from the beach and a 6.5' All Star for throwing really light stuff around the sods. Good luck with whichever you choose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts