BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paired up a penn 450 with a tica medium- fast and a stradic with a allstar medium fast. which is the better set up? both were very balanced . the allstar and stradic were $198.00 while the penn and tica were 144.99. I am not really worried about the price, just wondering which is the better set up.
I will use this rod as an all purpose rod stripper, flounder, blues.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It's all about personal preference at this point. If you liked the Tica and Penn set up, then save yourself the 50 bucks and put it towards terminal gear or buy a spare spool.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'll take the shimano stradic over the penn anyday.I have 2- penn 450s a couple of 550s and 4 stradics.I don't even use the penns anymore I feel the stradic are way smoother. As far as the rods I couldn't tell ya,I only fish St. Croix rods.If you try a st. croix rod you'll probably never use anything else.You can get a premier rod perfect for what your looking to do for about 90.00.

[ 03-20-2005, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: duckdiggler ]

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
Talk to Bob at ECT or Jim at Jamestackle they can get you a quality set-up at a good price.

I wouldn't touch a Tica rod (made in China).

I've kind of gone for a little better quality on stuff because you buy the inexpensive stuff and you want to move up to something better and if can swing the extra $ get something good straight off. Rods I like St Croix, & Rogue for the money G.Loomis make a nice rod But I have gotten the other two for less $ and are every bit as good or better.

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
Unfair comparison
The Stradic reel is much better then the Penn spinner.

Tica makes good rods, a little stiff though. Okuma also makes great low cost rods and they use all Fuji components.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Allstar and Tica make several models, and you did not say what lenght your using. I own few 9 foot Allstars and they are very good. Similiar to my Loomis and StCriox's rods. Based on the variety of fish you are targeting, the Allstar is the way to go.

The Tica's more like a broomstick, with very fast action, and would not work that well with flounder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts