BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about temp..depths as far as you guys like too fish for them...For me it seems like later April n in channels or on edges depending on tide and pink ice finess 4" does the trik or pink finess 4" with red jig hd as light as possibl...Thnks Terry :nuts:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
In the fog.:)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Though i don't keep a log book anymore, over the years the magic temp has always been 58 degrees for me, in the spring water temps in the back may vary allot from High to Low tide sometimes fish are there but they may not become active till the water temps get to that magic number, so finding that time in the tide will improve your chances, and of course boat and jetski traffic could kill any chance for a good bite to develope so i usually fish in Sh!tty conditions to improve my chances early on in the spring and i never ever use more than 1/4 oz in the shallow water spots that i like to fish and 99% of the time i use 1/8 oz, Pink in the daytime and any color during a dark night.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I am no weakfish aficionado but I get them once in a while when I put the time in for them and I agree with Iggy about the temp - I first see them on the bottom of the outgoing when the water is warmest. An ebb just after dark seems to be good to me around the inlets. Pink zooms and larger Fin-S around the sods and on top of bridges, if I am fishing around a bridge from the bank I prefer a white bucktail with a pink twister tail. I twitch once in a while as well, something I dont normally do for bass.

They are definetaly around before they start to chew and one thing I have noticed is that if I can see them messing around in pods they are not hungry - babies on the brain? Has anyone else noticed this?

Interested to see if some of the real gurus hit this thread. Probably just read this and giggle at my silly attempts at weakfishing.

Good luck this spring and let the big girls swim.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm not a tiderunner sharpie but, I've done well targeting them over the past few years. I mostly target them off of the sodbanks during the overnite hrs. Pink fin-ness, Berkley Gulp Shirmp, Pink Bucktails w/ white grub and one of the best tactics I've used taken from my freshwater bass fishing days is the use of a purple 4" rubber worm with a bullet weight attached.:bow: Good luck in your search for that elusive Tiderunner Weakie.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
I am no weakfish aficionado but I get them once in a while when I put the time in for them and I agree with Iggy about the temp - I first see them on the bottom of the outgoing when the water is warmest. An ebb just after dark seems to be good to me around the inlets. Pink zooms and larger Fin-S around the sods and on top of bridges, if I am fishing around a bridge from the bank I prefer a white bucktail with a pink twister tail. I twitch once in a while as well, something I dont normally do for bass.

They are definetaly around before they start to chew and one thing I have noticed is that if I can see them messing around in pods they are not hungry - babies on the brain? Has anyone else noticed this?

Interested to see if some of the real gurus hit this thread. Probably just read this and giggle at my silly attempts at weakfishing.

Good luck this spring and let the big girls swim.

RyanF
sent you an email , have a question

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
It has been a while since I have seen a lot of tide runners swimming around. We still see them along inlet rocks, but each year there are less to see and even less to catch.

About 7 years ago had an experience where the water was very clear and you could see hundreds of large tide runners swimming under and around the boat in 10 feet of water. They would not hit a thing. There was another boat fishing along side and we tried every fly in the book and every color, from bait fish and crab patterns. We also tried every spin bait that normal catches.

Too add salt to the wound, everyonce in a while they would all come to the surface and spawn. It was awsome to see hundreds of larger weakies on the surface doing their thing.

Next day we came back to the same and found the only thing that they would take is a bloodworm on a bobber.

Everyone that we caught would have 3 to 5 fish following it up. We could of easily netted two or three fish at a time. Even then we only kept one a person as they stocks were hurting back then.

Now you are lucky to see one here and there and catching one is a real treat and I release them all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.