BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished around some lights the other night and found a lot of Bass holding under one in particular. There were cinder worms on the surface and huge balls of peanut bunker below and throughout the water column swimming around in the lighted areas. The Bass would come up and slurp in a worm then drift back to the shadows. Later, the Bass blitzed on the peanuts for about 5 minutes then everything stopped. Pretty neat to watch! Anyway, we tossed all sorts of plugs, plastics and flys, in all sorts of colors and never got a touch. Any insights into how to hook up with Bass on bait like this???

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Use a #2/0 3X Strong Gamakatsu hook, a tuft of orange bucktail, and an M-80 stuck to the point.... :D

It doesn't sound like they were on the worms too much, just here and there, so a worm fly probably would have been tough to use. It would be like blind casting a dry fly on the Delaware River for trout. There's a 0.05% chance a fish might hit it. Although, if the worms weren't too thick, your fly would be picked out easier from the crowd. So maybe the worm fly would have worked well if presented correctly. Try using something like this next time. which should be around the next new moon (Aug 16):

Also, I'd say go with a big flashy plug or really big fly, like a fat deceiver or something. Something that'll get their attention, like a baitfish eating the worms too. It'll take persistence, though, and sometimes you'll still only get them with the M-80.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fly, I think the M-80 is our next tactic!
We tried loads of plugs, poppers, big and small flys, including my version of a worm (yours looks a lot better!). I'll just keep trying, eventually they'll bite!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts