BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60 hp Mercury outboard. Steering is very tight. Can't get grease into the zerk fitting on the steering shaft. Any ideas? Dealer wants to remove power head and lower unit which sounds costly. There must be some trick to removing the old grease and flowing in some fresh stuff right?

·
Registered
11,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go to You Tube, they have several ways to fix it that might help you.....Why would he want to pull the engine apart for a steering problem
Said he needed to remove top and bottom to get inside the steering pivot shaft. Seems too costly to me. It is def not the steering arm but inside the shaft itself where apparently it was never greased properly from the previous owner.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Said he needed to remove top and bottom to get inside the steering pivot shaft. Seems too costly to me. It is def not the steering arm but inside the shaft itself where apparently it was never greased properly from the previous owner.
You don't mention the age of the engine. Mercury outsourced production of various engines over the years. I have a 2000 Honda BF90 that required powerhead removal for steering linkage bushing replacement a couple of years ago. It wasn't that expensive relative to other boat ownership costs. It was however the result of sub-optimal design/engineering.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
60 hp Mercury outboard. Steering is very tight. Can't get grease into the zerk fitting on the steering shaft. Any ideas? Dealer wants to remove power head and lower unit which sounds costly. There must be some trick to removing the old grease and flowing in some fresh stuff right?
Kevin, best way is t take a propane torch and heat the steering tube. You need to get it hot enough to melt the old hardened grease. After its hot take grease gun filled with kerosine and start pumping it thru to flush the old grease thru it. If the zerk is in the middle of the steering tube you may need to figure a way to seal the bottom of the tube so the kerosine will flow upwards in the tube. Duct tape might work. Once you get it somewhat flushed refill it with merc marine grease, Chances are someone used automotive type grease which will harden when exposed to saltwater.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts