BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just opened my mail, the Big Jamaica is running three Tile Fish trips on consecutive Fridays, 4/25 05/2 & 5/9.

Trip is limited to first 29 people
Cost $255 per person
Boat leaves at 12.30 AM
Returns by 8 pm
Fishing Hudson Canyon
Electric Reels are welcome!
Power pro or equivalent line a must

I am very interested in fishing the May 2 trip. I was wondering if anyone else here from Offshore Forum is interested too?

www.bigjamaica.com

This is NOT a Bass Barn trip, but similar in set up. I can't wait to fish the Big J again, I know Capt Howard will put us on the meat.
Captn Joe

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Sounds like a great trip.

Dumb question.

I have generally found that for good tilefishing you have to be drifting pretty slow (say .5 Knot per hour or less). What will they do if the drift is too quick?.

How much of this can they predict in advance? Does the cycle of the moon mean that much 90 miles off shore?

I am asking because I don't know. I am very interested in taking one of these trips but I would hate for it to be a bust because of the drift.

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey Roadkill,
I've been Tilefishing with a Torsa 20 as well as a Saltiga 40. Using these high speed reels makes life a whole lot easier. You will also have better control with a manual reel. Almost every bad tangle I've seen tilefishing usually includes at least one electric reel.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I recommend 7/0 or larger HD gamakatsu octopus hooks as the regular octopus hooks will break. Also use 80lb or 100 line. Don't be surprised to use 3 lbs or more. I've used up to 4lbs of lead. The opportunity to come across wreckfish and barrelfish is there and you want to be in the water and have plenty of replacement rigs if you come across some fish. You may drift over a nice area of fish and then the next time they may not bite or you can be slightly off from the wind and may not catch more until you move again. There's nothing better than the fight of tiles in deep water but the fishing can be hit or miss. Joe, best of luck if you go.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Tile Fish

All my tuna rods are spooled with mono but I just bought an avet lx6 on a trevala 65-200 lb heavy jigging rod spooled with 400 yds of 80 lb power pro for jigging tuna. It has a 6-1 retrieve ratio. Would this setup work for tile fish?

·
Registered
300 Posts
No. I tried using my Avet LX 6:1 Cod fishing in Mass. The ratio is to high and it beats you up trying to reel up all that weight from 200+ feet of water. I had to switch reels after 30 minutes of fishing. I just bought a Saltist 40 4.9:1 and spooled it w/ 65 PP for Cod and Tuna jigging. Last year I used a TLD25 for Tiles and it was ok. I'm excited to fish this Saltist 40 and will post my report after our charter which is April 19th.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
NJtunastick said:
No. I tried using my Avet LX 6:1 Cod fishing in Mass. The ratio is to high and it beats you up trying to reel up all that weight from 200+ feet of water. I had to switch reels after 30 minutes of fishing. I just bought a Saltist 40 4.9:1 and spooled it w/ 65 PP for Cod and Tuna jigging. Last year I used a TLD25 for Tiles and it was ok. I'm excited to fish this Saltist 40 and will post my report after our charter which is April 19th.
I'm sure you'll be happy with that Saltist 40. Those 6:1 reels sound like they would be great in deep water, but that ratio is just too high. It will wear you out quick. I have a Saltist 30 with the 4.9:1 and it's got just the right compromise between speed and torque and it's pretty effortless winching fish up from the deep.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Tile Fish and 6-1 reel

I guess a 2 spd in the avet lx6 would work well also. I 'll find out how the single speed is on the tuna this summer. Maybe I'll give it a try on the tile fish also.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I am certainly up for a trip

They even still have my money from the SeaBass trip.

I will send you a quick e-mail Capt Joe.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
WreckinBall said:
I'm sure you'll be happy with that Saltist 40. Those 6:1 reels sound like they would be great in deep water, but that ratio is just too high. It will wear you out quick. I have a Saltist 30 with the 4.9:1 and it's got just the right compromise between speed and torque and it's pretty effortless winching fish up from the deep.
Question: Why would a higher ratio reel where you out quicker?

543 Posts
Exactly. On a recent trip, I had to borrow a friend's Saltist with the high speed gearing. There was a BIG difference from the regular Saltist. It is so much easier to crank them in with the lower ratio. The high speed reels are meant for fish like Califorinia yellowtail, which hit jigs that are ripped through the water.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Right, I learned the hard way trying to Cod fish w/ 14+oz. in 200 feet of water with my 6:1 LX. I didn't even want to reel that S&*T up after 30 minutes! That's why I bought this Saltist 4.9:1, to be able to crank up fish from the deep all day (hopefully :D ) and be comfortable. I hope this trip doesn't get blown out....I can't wait to see how this Saltist performs. I think for a comfortable deep water reel you need to stay under a 5:1 ratio. Spool size also plays a big part. Small diameter spool takes alot out of you to. Just more reasons to add to the tackle collection...After i'm pleased with this reel i'll probably buy the 20 or 30....or both:p .

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
NJtunastick said:
CaptTB, great pictures. In the last photo you posted, are those horizontal rod holders the boats or did the customers bring them on?
Customers (in this particular photo Dennis) made/brought them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Tile Fish with 6-1 ratio reel

NJtunastick said:
Right, I learned the hard way trying to Cod fish w/ 14+oz. in 200 feet of water with my 6:1 LX. I didn't even want to reel that S&*T up after 30 minutes! That's why I bought this Saltist 4.9:1, to be able to crank up fish from the deep all day (hopefully :D ) and be comfortable. I hope this trip doesn't get blown out....I can't wait to see how this Saltist performs. I think for a comfortable deep water reel you need to stay under a 5:1 ratio. Spool size also plays a big part. Small diameter spool takes alot out of you to. Just more reasons to add to the tackle collection...After i'm pleased with this reel i'll probably buy the 20 or 30....or both:p .
I presume Avet figured this problem out when they designed 6-1 ratio reel. Avet rep recommended lx6 to me at Somerset expo for tuna. Tile takes more effort than a good size yellow fin? Doesn't a longer power handle provide more leverage to compensate for higher gear ratio? Theoretically it should be same effort to reel in line with 6-1 as a lower ratio reel if handle on 6-1 is slightly longer. At the same time you are retrieving more line which gives you an advantage.

·
Registered
300 Posts
High speed reels are made to keep up with high speed fish. When you have to retrieve line fast, such as with Kingfish, Wahoo, Mahi... You don't see Internationals and other big game reels (6/0, 9/0, 12/0) with a 6:1 or higher ratio's. It would be to hard to even turn the handle on 16+ oz. lead and a Bluefish filet on a deep, far from the boat, shark bait. While Tuna jigging you are using a stream line jig, and when fighting the fish using short pumps, small cranks of the handle to gain line. Try using a 6:1 on Grouper. You'll never have the torque to get him off the bottom and away from structure. While Cod, Gouper or Tile fishing in 200-350-500+ feet of water, you need all the torque possible with still having a decent amount of line gain per crank. I don't want to sound like i'm schooling anyone here. This is just my 2 cents on ratio.

·
Registered
377 Posts
6-1 Reel

NJTunastick:
I appreciate your input and I agree with your reasoning. I don't think I would want to pull up a large grouper on a 6-1 reel. I have never caught a grouper or a tile so I can't speak from firsthand experience. Hopefully, I'll try the tile this summer with a 6-1 avet and see how it goes. Maybe I'll get lucky and catch a few fish to see how it feels firsthand. If I don't like it, I'll have a great excuse to buy another jigging rod!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts