BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to tile fishing looking on getting a setup for fishing tile and possibly tuna. Was looking at a few different reels the tld20 2 speed, penn squall 16vs, and the penn international vsx 16. I have a rod that might work its a boat rod 6'6" mh 20-50 line class 2-6 oz. lure weight think that might pair up with them reels? I am open to any and all suggestions I am looking to buy the right combo one time it will be used for charter boat trips. What line is suggested 50-65 braid? Any insight or suggestions would be great thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If your tile fishing your going to need to use a lot of lead to get down to the bottom and stay as vertical as possible. On average, we use 2lbs of lead so a 2-6oz. rated rod is not going to cut it. We use our heavy jigging rods with 2-speed reels as well as some electric reel combos that make deep dropping a breeze. Keep in mind your in 300-600ft of water and you have to be on the bottom to catch. If you go lighter on the lead you'll have to keep letting out line to stay on the bottom and then have to reel it all back in hopefully with a double header. You basically need a meat stick with a high speed reel with 65lb. braid. We use our jigging gear so we don't have to bring more equipment but it's only rated to 500grams or about 18oz. They work but it's maxing out the rods. The electric set ups are straight up meat sticks.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
agreed that rod is too light. for 80 bucks you can get a 6'6 ugly stick 40-80lb 6-12 oz that will handle 3 or 4. lbs of lead. I fish the 8 ft version of that rod on party boats.

Those reels are overkill for tile ( I know you mentioned possibly tuna setup as well). I wound up getting seperate tuna and tile setups as they are different beasts. The Avet LX I fish is 22 oz and those reels are close to 35 - 40 oz. If you leave the rod in the rod holder it wont matter. Holding one of those heavier reels while drifting would get a liitle tiresome.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input so far guys...Brian I have been kicking around going out with phil on the ductwork went out with him for tog and had a blast great captain how are his tile trips? Fishnh there is no budget for the setup you get what you pay for I hate buying stuff twice would rather buy a good product once

·
Registered
13,391 Posts
I'm also new to tile fishing but spend once and be comfortable I bought a custom rod 7.6 foot and a maxel # 10 reel 65 lbs power pro I could not be happier been out twice already 2 first trip 3 last trip. Got rod & reel for 760.00 from Dave at the reel seat. Also check out Kil from here at the bass barn black hole rods he's also a tile master he is very help full I'm looking to pick up a second setup from Kil next month.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Njbuckhunter its fishing with Phil your going to be out all day and he's going to stay until he's happy with the amount of fish on the boat he's well worth the trip.I'm on the trip May 7th with him tile fishing.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Thanks for the input so far guys...Brian I have been kicking around going out with phil on the ductwork went out with him for tog and had a blast great captain how are his tile trips? Fishnh there is no budget for the setup you get what you pay for I hate buying stuff twice would rather buy a good product once
You should go. Phil is a great tile fisherman I will be heading out with him once I get back from the Viking trip may 8-11th.

Those Maxels are sweet I use Joe's fro awhile on the thelma dale trip . It's on my list along with a left handed ocea jigger 1500 for insore. You are listening right Santa?? :D

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Brian you got all your Christmas gifts on that one tog trip:razz:
and what a Christmas it was :) I booked Phil for Fluke every Sunday during the season (thirteen) that I am not on the Viking or up in NH. I told him I want that 10 lb plus fluke before you get it so I figure I better go as much as possible. the question is how many will I drop before I eventually land one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Damn Brian I'm sure I will see you on most of those trips. The real question is will you be awake on those trips to catch a 10lber.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Think of tile fishing as super deep fluking. You need a rod with enough tip to bounce a 32 oz sinker at a minimum. Too soft a tip and you wont have enough power in the rod to effectively hook fish. On a private boat we recommend rods in the 6'6" to 7' range.

As for a reel the last thing you want is a high speed reel. I always put it in these terms. When you are riding a bike up hill are you in high gear or low. If you are in high gear, you are walking your bike up the hill. Gear ratios in the 4:1 to 5:1 range are optimal. A nice over sized handle is nice as well. The most popular reel we sell for tile fishing is the Maxel Ocean Max size 10.

If you have any questions about tile fishing at all feel free to give the shop a call at 732 223 5353.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Damn Brian I'm sure I will see you on most of those trips. The real question is will you be awake on those trips to catch a 10lber.
friday night will have to be date night saturdays rest up :)

Eric I'll be by before the Viking trip on May 8th I need a few things . Speaking of hooking a fish the ringed owner circles I got from Dave last year do a great job of hooking fish and are super strong.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Eric - if you and Dave would be open to it, I'd like to send up a pair of the Poseidon 500R reels for you guys to play with.

I've sold quite a few this winter to some hardcore fisherman and tackle makers that are familiar names and faces in the flea market circuit. I've gotten nothing but stellar feedback and reviews.

These reels are 5.1:1, exaggerated power handles, light weight (23.5 oz) and high capacity.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts