BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what rods you guys use for tiles in the hudson? What length is idea? I have a blank I want to try 8' 40-60. Thinking of cutting a it to 6'9 - 7'3 off the back. Is that too big of a rod for that deep of fishing?

·
Registered
279 Posts
My favorite rod is a 6'6" st croix legend salt 40-60lb. I have used longer, but holding a long rod with heavy weight gets tiring. I used a 5' jigging rod for a while too, but that was a little too short, it was hard to get a good hookset.

Old timers used 8' rods for cod and that was the rod to use when I started.

Its worth a shot, and if it doesn't feel right for tiles, you should have one hell of a yo-yo jigging rod

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Last year I used a Tsunami 6' rod rated to 100lbs.. Jigging rod really..

Now I am making a 6'6'' Acid wrapped North Fork.. Rating of the blank is still on the table.. I was only think of a 17-30lb with some of the tip cut off..

I have the blank here and I've been messing around with it trying to figure out how to make it work best..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use Penn Mariner 5'6" 30-80lb with a Daiwa Saltist 50HA and a Penn 300 Torque. I like the Saltist alot better because it has Levelwind and when you're reeling in 4-800 feet of line you dont want to have to guide it on to the spool.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
We fish tiles quite a bit. I have switched to a black hole 450gm rod and circle hooks. For me, it works way better and far easier than an 8' rod. I even liked it better on a partyboat
I know you are in minority opinion for using short rods for tile, but short rods will get the popularity once fishermen discovered the benefit of short rods using circle hooks.

Tuna bait fishing is the same, I like to use short jigging rods for catching tuna on bait.

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Tile fishing is evolving in my opinion. What was recommended yesterday is not good today, and what is good today will not be recommended for tile fishing in the future.

The only thing that I can be sure of is...you will get a lot of different opinions here. :D (which is a good thing) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
JM PE8 with 65lb JB, best all around reel especially for deep water tiles

That must be fun.

Try a Shimano Torium....much cheaper and almost twice the line/crank! Go with thin diameter line (no HC) as it has less drag in the water and less scope is needed for deeper drops. My torium has alot of 45# PP (I think) and it is great!

·
Registered
85 Posts
That must be fun.

Try a Shimano Torium....much cheaper and almost twice the line/crank! Go with thin diameter line (no HC) as it has less drag in the water and less scope is needed for deeper drops. My torium has alot of 45# PP (I think) and it is great!
Line crank won`t do you much good if you can`t turn the handle.
Torium 20 has just enough balls for sea bass in 220'. Jerry Brown has both solid and hollow core.

·
Registered
993 Posts
two favorite reels for tiles:

PE 8
Ocea Jigger

And I've used just about every other reel. 3/0 and 4/0 senator, daiwa saltiga, torium, jigmaster, alutecnos, avet, everol.The only two reels you dont have to struggle to bring in the 3+ sinkers, let a lone the fish.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Line crank won`t do you much good if you can`t turn the handle.
Torium 20 has just enough balls for sea bass in 220'. Jerry Brown has both solid and hollow core.
Its all about gear ratio for me. I rarely fish with over 2# wt, and when I have, I had no probs cranking up to 3# and a 26# tile, and I'm no whimp so I can turn the handle! If I'd be fishing with sash weights I prefer Weinberg's style!

Good educational post!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its all about gear ratio for me. I rarely fish with over 2# wt, and when I have, I had no probs cranking up to 3# and a 26# tile, and I'm no whimp so I can turn the handle! If I'd be fishing with sash weights I prefer Weinberg's style!

Good educational post!
The PE8 is like a winch. You can rail the rod and just crank. We normally use 2-3lb weights as well. I never tried my Torium for tiles. I would think you would have to lift and drop the rod in order to gain line. We use the JM for tuna jigging as well so I consider it more of a multi purpose reel. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The PE8 is like a winch. You can rail the rod and just crank. We normally use 2-3lb weights as well. I never tried my Torium for tiles. I would think you would have to lift and drop the rod in order to gain line. We use the JM for tuna jigging as well so I consider it more of a multi purpose reel. Thanks for your input.
The challenge would be....you and I fishing side by side.....I could hookup, land that fish and be back down before you've done the same! The Torium can winch also, but a higher gear ratio rules in my mind, less cranks = less tired = more fish in the box! My best trip I had 10 fish up to 26# before anyone else on the boat (with a similar ratio as the JM) had 5. The JM is a great reel, but gear ratio counts alot when fishing deep! Its not that I am a troium lover, but any reel with a 7:1 gear ratio would be ideal!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gear ratio is great, but you also need the proper length handle for torque. Take a 7:1 ratio with a short speed handle, and you wont be able to turn it. Fishing style has a lot in there too, it you are a railer or a rod holder guy or if you only hold it, sometimes I use an outrodder when guys can't hold the rod anymore. Any of these options are big factors when you are looking into a rod and reel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.