BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Wed eve for an all day Thurs deep drop trip on a NS out of Pt. Pleas. 18 men and a cook! First off, hats off to the boat and crew. Every trip I have had (going deep) has been super. Weather has been great and fishing has ALWAYS produced for me.

1st stop is around 6:30am in 800-900 ft. Drop and real beautiful Wreckfish. Double headers all over. 4 short drifts and the BIG coller is full. 5 fish nothing less than 20 lbs. Some anglers had 2 fish on every one of those drifts. Took 2 drifts for me to get it right. Some doggies here but not alot. On the 5th drift and after nearly everyone gets their fill Capt. requests those with let those without drop down. Remaining anglers top off and we move on. Yup, we moved and left double headers for another day! Guys who had 6, 8, 9 of these giant fish didn't drop and didn't *****! Real class on everyones part.

No dought if we stayed, fish would have rotted on the ride in because you could not have iced what was there! I guess that's why I keep going back. I can't eat what I caught, I always give much away and love this deep fishing. It has been the silver lining in this ever shrinking arena we all love.

Next spot is 1/2 hour away and it's still 800-900 ft. but nothing but those endangered doggies!. Double headers, thankfully the not so big ones! Goldens start to show but not many. 2-4 barrel fish but way too many doggies. he moves 1 hour somewhere.

Third spot is 450-600 ft. Goldens and Bluelines. Nothing Large but quality. My arms are like rubber at this point and my mojo is on the bottom. I make some half hearted swings and miss em. No worries I had no room anyway!

FANTASTIC trip, great boat, good fishing, good fishermen, and yes a good COOK! Hot grilled breakfast, pancakes and all. Awesome cheeseburgers with all the trimings. Can't wait for my next breakfast on this boat!:D

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Awesome report, seas don't look to bad. Its nice to read some reports this time of year.

This time last year we were still catching a few bass and just starting to wreck fish. Unfortunately this year the season slowed down tremendously after the big snow storm.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Sounds like a great trip guys!! I am hungry just reading about breakfast in the gallley!!! :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My summer trips have been just as good. I think if u have the right gear, (Dave's shops is one of the few that does offer the "right gear") then there is no reason these trips shouldn't be productive. Heated rails this time of year helps too!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
920 Posts
I'll have to agree with everything andy said...this was my first tile trip,. and I was not disappointed! Andy---great fishing with you and the other guys....i was exciting knowing that I was fishing two spots down from a world-record holder!-----Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Mike. keep in touch, Marlton is around the corner. Me and the neighbor bottom fish at least once a week, wherever the fish may be!. Key West in March for me and a 3 day live on in Key West May 6,7,8,. Spots still available. U in ? No dougbt a good bunch of people on these particular trips.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I too was on this Great trip with Andy, Dave, Ralph, Walt, Noel, Tony, Roy,etc and came home with 3 Wreck Fish and 1 Golden Tile. One of my Wreck fish was given to me by a fellow angler named Mike, fishing 2 spots to my left who was on FIRE!!:thumbsup: Thanks Again!! My first 2 drops on these beauties went like this, I caught the gear that was nearby right away.:( It's not easy or quick to break off at that depth. I then had to re-rig my top shot, rig, 3 pound sinker, meanwhile, I'm watching doubles being brought up to the left and right of me. We do another drift, I drop down and get bit right away:DI'm fighting my bruiser for 2 minutes when my fish gets stuck in the gear.:huh:This was even harder than the first time to break off. I tried letting out more line, no good. I break off eventually, I see doubles, singles wreck fish on the deck, in the water, fellow anglers are smiling ear to ear. As for me, I was ready to Have a BREAKDOWN!! :eek: I re-do my setup AGAIN for the third time, I make all kinds of promises to the lord above to please let me get one. It happens, I'm able to ask for a net.:thumbsup: Now Jeff announces, let the LOSERS meaning me and a few others( he didn't say Losers, I'm making that up ) with 3 fish or less to drop down. We do and I hook up again!:) Now we leave the area and go in search of some tiles.
Not many Goldens were caught that was probably due to the Super fish (doggies)that were biting at 700 feet. They can go up and down that depth with no problem! I did get one around 10 pounds and felt Very Proud!:) I recognize the bite, but I still wasn't 100% sure until I saw the bubbles!! Thanks again Jeff, for taking me and the others to our Favorite Spot!! Dennis

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry Jeff, Great Sponsor by the way! Always learning and further reading/research reveals that these things can go up to 6 feet and 200 lbs. Perhaps that's the creature that bit the thing u lost.!!!!! I know what I will drop down next time!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
34,107 Posts
nice report

Left Wed eve for an all day Thurs deep drop trip on a NS out of Pt. Pleas. 18 men and a cook! First off, hats off to the boat and crew. Every trip I have had (going deep) has been super. Weather has been great and fishing has ALWAYS produced for me.

1st stop is around 6:30am in 800-900 ft. Drop and real beautiful Wreckfish. Double headers all over. 4 short drifts and the BIG coller is full. 5 fish nothing less than 20 lbs. Some anglers had 2 fish on every one of those drifts. Took 2 drifts for me to get it right. Some doggies here but not alot. On the 5th drift and after nearly everyone gets their fill Capt. requests those with let those without drop down. Remaining anglers top off and we move on. Yup, we moved and left double headers for another day! Guys who had 6, 8, 9 of these giant fish didn't drop and didn't *****! Real class on everyones part.

No dought if we stayed, fish would have rotted on the ride in because you could not have iced what was there! I guess that's why I keep going back. I can't eat what I caught, I always give much away and love this deep fishing. It has been the silver lining in this ever shrinking arena we all love.

Next spot is 1/2 hour away and it's still 800-900 ft. but nothing but those endangered doggies!. Double headers, thankfully the not so big ones! Goldens start to show but not many. 2-4 barrel fish but way too many doggies. he moves 1 hour somewhere.

Third spot is 450-600 ft. Goldens and Bluelines. Nothing Large but quality. My arms are like rubber at this point and my mojo is on the bottom. I make some half hearted swings and miss em. No worries I had no room anyway!

FANTASTIC trip, great boat, good fishing, good fishermen, and yes a good COOK! Hot grilled breakfast, pancakes and all. Awesome cheeseburgers with all the trimings. Can't wait for my next breakfast on this boat!:D
hey whats the name of the boat ? it;s not the voyeger is it? and does a wreck fish taste as good as a sea bass ?

·
Registered
920 Posts
dennis----no problem, and thanks for the compliments----an honor, coming from you!
andy--- will stay in touch. would love to do the 3-day in May, but have a baby on the way around that time.....I too fish prob once every 2 weeks in the winter.....will hopefully get a cod trip in next....keep me updated on any trips you take-----Mike

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent heavy white meat, very little blood line, have to steak it up after filleting, too large to fry. Can't overcook it, remains moist no matter how hard cooked. Very similiar to grouper.

Tonight it was steaked, drawn thru melted butter, seasoned with a dry blackening powder then flash cooked in sizzling saute fry pan 2 minutes a side (outside grill). Mint/Pineapple salsa over top, with a side of sourdough bread and baked potato.:p

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Q for SoFla boys (IE McGovern, Ryne, etc....by the way you guys rock;)

Are these wreckfish the same ones (although smaller in size) then the ones we catch off the candy cane lighthouse in Hopetown, as well as throughout the DEEP water of the Bahamas?

Are they legal to keep in the Bahamas?

Any risk of Cig?

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm not sure if the wreckfish here are the same as the ones caught in the bahamas, but there should be little to no chance of ciguatera poisining in these fish. Ciguaterra develops in fish that forage on or around coral reefs as many reef fish eat the reef which contains certain dinoflagelites that cause ciguaterra. Since there is no coral reef for at least several hundred miles from any of the northeast canyons the wreckfish should be perfectly safe to eat, with no chance of ciguaterra

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.