BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about lucky. The contract I'm currenly working will end on 10/1. My buddy told me about a trip he has leaving for the Vineyard 10/2.

8 days of Flyfishing the Vineyard for Stripers, Albies, Bonito, (and, if I truly want the Slam) Blues.

I can't wait.

Anyone here been to the Vineyard in early October before?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Wish I was heading there, I can't take another week of this super warm water, and I am too stupid to stop trying. Good luck and go get them. Hope to see some good reports.

·
Registered
195 Posts
surf cowboy,

Are you aware of the MV Striped Bass & Bluefish Derby? Runs till Oct 16th.

mvderby.com

What kind of info are you looking for? I fished by boat for 3 hours this AM, 9 bonito, 4 Albies and a dozen blues in the 4 lb range. Lost one Blue and my only fly-forgot the rest of my flys. So, I trolled.

[ 09-16-2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: aubv ]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Originally posted by aubv:
surf cowboy,

Are you aware of the MV Striped Bass & Bluefish Derby? Runs till Oct 16th.

mvderby.com

What kind of info are you looking for? I fished by boat for about 3 hours this AM, 9 Bonito, 4 Albies and a dozen Blues in the 4 lb range. Lost one Blue and my only fly-forgot the rest of my flys. So, I trolled.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm actually heading up with some guys that spend every June and every October on Lobsterville Beach between Gay Head and the Jetty. I've never been there before, and they tell me it gets pretty intense.

Any idea on how cold it's likely to be the first week of October?

·
Registered
195 Posts
surf cowboy,

You can never tell. I always dress in layers, I find I need to dressing warm with good wind protection. This morning I wore 2 long sleeve shirts and a Grundens hooded pull over. In early October, you might be able to wear shorts or need long johns. Last year mid-October was very cold.

Great morning with the fly rod on the boat. 2 Bonito - 2 Albies, a Blue fish- and something that took me further into my backing then I've ever been. Fought it to the boat 3 times. The last time the fly popped out of the water like the fish spit it at me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts