BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the latest tip of the Week, Sponsored by IT Solutions by Anthony Bruno. This week's tip focuses on operating system upgrades.
Let's be more specific here... I am talking about windows xp, vista and windows 7. Here is what you need to know from a technical perspective.
Windows XP was the best desktop operating system ever released by microsoft. It built on the reliability of previous windows versions and added some nice features. Windows Vista on the other had was a bust. Lots of issues, especially with interoperability with some non microsoft software packages. I have been advising all clients to avoid vista like the plague. Some computers for sale out there are still availble with vista, don't fall for it. Window's 7 is basically windows vista, with all the bugs worked out. I have been running it for months and have had very few issues with Windows 7. While I love Windows XP it is time to make the switch to Windows 7.
From an upgrade standpoint most times it is not going to be cost effective to upgrade from XP to Windows 7. Windows XP was originally released in 2001! That is long time ago. Many of the xp computers will not meet the hardware requirements for windows 7. During XP's 9 year run hardware has become alot less expensive. In 2001 the average desktop pc cost around 1000.00 today there are many desktops that can be had for around 500.00
The bottom line is if you need a new desktop computer and your current pc is more than 2 years old your best bet is to get Windows 7 preinstalled on a new pc. The same is going to run true for laptop computers... when choosing a new laptop get Windows 7.

·
Registered
16,436 Posts
You need to go fishing. :D

·
Registered
16,436 Posts

·
Administrator
49,981 Posts
what happened to last weeks tip :huh:, Has the Tip of the day posted weekly , now gone to a Bi Weekly Tip :huh:

·
Registered
76,204 Posts
what happened to last weeks tip :huh:, Has the Tip of the day posted weekly , now gone to a Bi Weekly Tip :huh:
He had a Snow week:D

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to be like a teacher... because of the snow got it postponed last week... just like a teacher I am not making it up....:D

·
Registered
15,508 Posts
Just curious, why would you say "Windows XP was the best desktop operating system ever released by microsoft" then recommend upgrading to Windows 7, especially knowing that a computer that is a few years old will more than likely not run Windows 7?

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious, why would you say "Windows XP was the best desktop operating system ever released by microsoft" then recommend upgrading to Windows 7, especially knowing that a computer that is a few years old will more than likely not run Windows 7?
If you read the post.. I said windows xp is 9 years old. I mentioned specifically that many xp boxes don't have the hardware required to run windows.

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Suppose I have a windows XP desktop & buy a new one w/ W7. Will I be able to upload my XP compatible programs to W7, like Quicken, MS Office, etc? Or do I have to buy all this crap all over again?

·
Administrator
49,981 Posts

Windows XP was originally released in 2001! That is long time ago. Many of the xp computers will not meet the hardware requirements for windows 7. During XP's 9 year run hardware has become alot less expensive. In 2001 the average desktop pc cost around 1000.00 today there are many desktops that can be had for around 500.00
The bottom line is if you need a new desktop computer and your current pc is more than 2 years old your best bet is to get Windows 7 preinstalled on a new pc. The same is going to run true for laptop computers... when choosing a new laptop get Windows 7.

I understood the Tip Perfectly

·
Registered
15,508 Posts
If you read the post.. I said windows xp is 9 years old. I mentioned specifically that many xp boxes don't have the hardware required to run windows.
Your thread title is "Operating System Upgrades".

You then write - While I love Windows XP it is time to make the switch to Windows 7.

Yet it seems that your recommendation is not to upgrade, but to buy a new machine?

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Suppose I have a windows XP desktop & buy a new one w/ W7. Will I be able to upload my XP compatible programs to W7, like Quicken, MS Office, etc?
Tom,
Do you have the install disc's? That is the way to do it.. you really can't "move" installed programs.. Data like word documents etc you can easily move.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Your thread title is "Operating System Upgrades".

You then write - While I love Windows XP it is time to make the switch to Windows 7.

Yet it seems that your recommendation is not to upgrade, but to buy a new machine?
A new computer is an operating system upgrade :D

I heard Vista and 7 are RAM hogs. I think alot of older machines cant be expanded to more than 1 or 2 gigs right? If you "upgrade" to 7 on an old machine, there is a very good chance it will run a bit sluggish right?

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Yes, all of the install discs for the other stuff. So the question is, if I have XP program installation discs, will W7 read them & run them ok or is there a conflict btwn W7 & Xp compatible programs?

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, all of the install discs for the other stuff. So the question is, if I have XP program installation discs, will W7 read them & run them ok or is there a conflict btwn W7 & Xp compatible programs?
They should run fine Tom... unless you are trying to run Office 4.3 :D:D

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Windows 7 runs well on 1GB of RAM. Once you start loading other programs it needs more.

7 really is pretty good.

Tom,
lot of times if a windows xp compatible programs will work natively in windows 7.

If not, there are ways to use compatibility mode to try to trick the programs.

·
Registered
14,229 Posts
I have been looking at this system what do you think

Gateway 20" LCD Quad-Core, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD Desktop Computer Key Specifications:
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300; Operates at 2.5GHz
  • Memory: 6144MB DDR3 1333MHz (2 x 2048MB and 2 x 1024MB), upgradeable to 8GB; 4 DDR2 slots (total)|0 DDR2 slots (available)
  • Hard Drive: 750GB SATA (7200 RPM)
  • Optical Drive: 16x DVD +/- RW Super Multi-Format Dual Layer Drive featuring Labelflash Technology
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • Monitor: 20" widescreen LCD
  • Media Card Reader: Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader with Photo Frame Button: CompactFlash (Type I and II), CF+ Microdrive, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC), Secure Digital (SD), xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO
Additional Product Specifications:
  • System Bus: 1333MHz
  • Cache Memory: 4MB L2
  • Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Gateway keyboard and USB optical mouse
  • External Ports: (8) USB 2.0; (2) PS/2 (keyboard and mouse); (1) High-Definition headphone and microphone jacks; (1) HDMI; (1) IEEE 1394a; (1) RJ-45 Ethernet; (1) Audio
  • Network Adapter: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
  • Power Supply: 300 watts
  • Measures approx. 7.1"W x 16.2"H x 16.3"D
  • Weighs 12 lbs.
  • Model #: DX4820-05
  • UL listed
  • Made in China
  • Comes with a manufacturer's 1-year limited warranty
Accessories Include:

·
Registered
14,229 Posts