BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been presented with a deal for a lowrance globalmap 6500 c with a lra 1500 radar. I was thinking about another hds 7 but now I'm thinking about the radar. I know that its a little outdated but I still would like to have radar in the boat. What do you guys think I should go with?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
With radar, there will definitely be some days that you can get out in the fog while the rest of the guys stay at the dock or right by the inlet waiting for the fog to lift. Goes without saying, that traveling at night is a lot easier. Also, if it set up right, you might see birds working on blues, bunker, etc. Nothing wrong with going "old style" if it is still in working condition. My radar is vintage 1990 4KW LCD by Raytheon, and at $600 on eBay, I feel it was a great investment.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Economically, I would go with the 6500c/radar combo. The 6500c is a nice unit. You won't have the "HD" resolution, or the capability of broadband radar, but imo, it's good enough.

Make sure it has the RIM 200, (radar interface module) and not the RIM 100, or you'll be plagued with problems.

·
Vendor
296 Posts
For me, radar has saved trips where we have broke the inlet and headed into thick fog. Instead of stopping we pushed on with the radar. Once you become comfortable with running with radar you will be happy you bought it. Also coming back from wreck fishing offahore and hitting the fog on the way back to the dock is a nightmare without radar. As you get close to your inlet there are many boats drifting in tbe fog. As mentioned earlier, it helps seeing bird activity10 miles or so away.
Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the new hds will have to wait a year. I'm pretty sure my current lowrance and the globalmap cana be networked

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Definetly add the Radar it only takes one thick fog bank moveing in on you to cause a terrible accident. And if you run at night most definetly should have it on your boat, even if you just get caught up comeing in late or want to leave early ,it's a must have to me.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Agree with Amber Lee. It's not always what you see before leaving the dock, but what rolls in while you're out there -dark included.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
radar is the way to go. if you use it once its worth the money. you still need to take your time but you get home or out safely. i also have my crew looking out as well. can never be too cautious. mine is year old the JRC 1500 and works well for me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts